New to me Randall Knife

Posted by: Tim McClure

New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 01:38 PM

Greetings all, I'm new to the forum, and the nice folks at Randall suggested I join this forum and try to learn a few things about a newly inherited Randall knife. The knife has a name on the left side, I had thought might be a maker who worked at Randall. The knife is 9 1/8" long, the blade is 4 1/2" long. It says 7-5 on the sheath. It also is written in ink on the sheath, 1961 Kodiak. Is this a model? Can anyone tell me who the sheath maker was?

Thanks,Tim
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 01:58 PM

Having a name or other info is an option on most Randall's!
In this case it was that of probably its original owner.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 02:04 PM

The name on the left side is most likely one of the owners of the knife.

"7-5" on the sheath matches the knife, which would be a Model-7 with a 5" blade.

https://www.randallknives.com/knives/model-7-fisherman-hunter/

I'm awful at dating the knives, someone else will have to chime in. The 7-spacer arrangement isn't available today.

It looks to be in decent shape, gently used with some patina.
Posted by: Wally

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 02:45 PM

Having the deep "fishook" shaped choil helps indicate it was made before '62. The fact that the handle is not pinned tells us it was made after 1957. A look at the front of the sheath and the stone would help, but it's pretty safe to bet the ink written date and place, 1961, and Kodiak, are when and maybe where it was purchased.

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 02:45 PM

Does the writing in ink on the sheath have any relevance to the knife? Any idea as to the sheath maker?

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 03:05 PM

The stone is missing
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 03:32 PM

Sheath is an early Johnson roughback but I'm not sure it's "that early"! 1961 would be an early date for that maker. I'm sure 1962 would be a good date but who knows? Could be a second sheath, replacing an earlier one...
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
Posted by: rigid54

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 03:40 PM

Capt -I’m sayin Heiser/HKL. Fits the time frame.

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 04:28 PM

Where would someone source a period correct stone for the sheath?

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 05:54 PM

Maybe post a "wanted to buy" ad for a period correct stone, circa 1962.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 07:46 PM

Yes I believe the sheath is a Heiser also.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 08:02 PM

Tim--

If you plan to keep the knife, maybe use the process that Grady McCotter used to clean and preserve the sheath.

He wrote it up, and I think it is posted someplace on this forum.

I also could email it to you if you PM me your email address.

I probably would not get the knife cleaned up since it carries honest age patina. That includes leaving the original owner's name on it. At most, maybe just use metal polish on the brass, but that is a personal choice and might not be necessary since I don't see any green verdigris on it.

But if you plan to sell it, maybe just leave everything "as is" and let the next owner decide just how much cleaning he might want to do.

Lucky find.

Larry
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 08:47 PM

Hugh Wright (now deceased), who's "job" it was at the Randall shop was to inventory and received sheaths from Heiser and Maurice Johnson (starting in 1960) told me Heiser (and I quote) "Never" had a Randall stamp. I believe him. Hugh also stated that he saw Maurice Johnson in the Randall shop 1-2 years before Gary started working in the shop, upon his graduation. It's a JRB. Even the leather and stitching look correct for an even later JRB.
Just sayin', Capt. Chris
PS: I know I'll get crucified for this entry but it didn't come from me folks...CCS
Posted by: Lori

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 10:34 PM

Could this be the original owner? Obituary found in google...

OBITUARY
Frederic Seller Hirsch
OCTOBER 5, 1937 – FEBRUARY 24, 2019
Obituary of Frederic Seller Hirsch
Frederic Seller Hirsch, age 81, of Lake Oswego, Oregon passed away at home on Sunday February 24, 2019. Frederic was born October 5, 1937 in New York City, New York. He was adopted from a Jewish orphanage at the age of 3. Not much is known about his birth parents. His mother’s last name was Rothman and his father was reportedly Irish. Fred came to be adopted by Harold Seller Hirsch, President and CEO of the White Stag Mfg. Co. He and his wife later adopted a little girl from a Jewish Orphanage in Chicago who became Fred’s sister. Growing up Fred was always surrounded by dogs and horses, instilling in him a love for animals.

Fred graduated high school and went on to complete 4 years of college at Portland State. He became a successful investor. Fred was a veteran of the Coast Guard. He served from March 3, 1959 to March 1, 1963. Fred belonged to numerous organizations such as the Portland Art Museum and the Japanese Gardens (his father was a huge benefactor of the aforementioned and Fred followed in his footsteps). Fred and his entire family belonged to Temple Beth Israel. Fred also served with Meals on Wheels for many years which he enjoyed doing very much. It was in his nature to reach out and help people in need.

Fred was a collector of fine art of all kinds; paintings, ancient Chinese and Japanese works, Native American pieces, sculptures, panels, carvings, tables, cabinets, etc. Fred enjoyed performing arts as well and liked to attend the theatre. He was a devoted fly fisherman and even made his own flies. Fred also collected fine guns, but he was NOT a hunter. He won numerous medals for target shooting as well as marksmanship. Fred was also an avid car buff, especially interested in high powered European sports cars, up until he was in his 70’s! Then he had to tone it down a bit.

Fred met Kim while he was outside one day. She walked by with her Doberman and the normally protective dog immediately took a liking to Fred. Kim would stop by and help tidy Fred’s Japanese garden. He tried to pay her but she never accepted the money. One evening she invited him over for dinner and cooked the one recipe she knew. Normally Kim’s cooking required a call to the fire department but everything went brilliantly and the two ended up getting married. They had two beautiful wedding ceremonies. Rabbi Emanuel Rose presided over the service on May 6, 2005 at the couple’s home in Fairmont Heights. It was a wonderful wedding but so many other friends and family wanted to attend that couldn’t make, it so they rented the Portland Sternwheeler and sent out a second invite. The Captain of the ship married them again in a more ceremonial setting; this allowed all of their friends and family to take part. Fred and Kim were married for 14 years and were very happy.

Kim opened up a whole new world to Fred. He had always loved dogs but he especially wanted to have a cat. Kim was an all-breed cat judge and gifted Fred a top winning Scottish Fold male kitten. He said it was the best present he ever had. The kitten’s name was Starrpawz Gladiator, but Fred nicknamed him Riley. One of the requirements of owning this kitten was that he would have to be shown across the country. Fred had a little fear of flying but off he went, “A Man and His Cat.” His kitten became one of the top national winning kittens in the country. He was so proud when he went up on stage at the Annual Meeting where the awards were given out at the Cat Fanciers Assoc. Inc. Annual Awards Banquet. He was so thrilled with this kitten that Kim arranged to get another Scottish Fold male kitten for him. The second Fold kitten was named Starrpawz Moo-ver and he became a national winner too. He was better known as Moo-Vee. Fred also had a beautiful black Standard Poodle named Nevermore Gucci which he called Max. Fred and Max played ball every day. Max followed Fred everywhere he went. When those three wonderful animals passed away it was decided they would be cremated and put into beautiful walnut receptacles with their photos and a brass plate telling about each of them. It was Fred’s wish that when his time came that all three of these beautiful animals be buried with him, and they will be, so they can be together for all of eternity.

Everyone loved Fred and he will be greatly missed. His legacy and love will live on in the hearts of those who knew him.

A celebration of life service for Frederic will be held Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 2:00 PM at Skyline Memorial Gardens Funeral Home, 4101 NW Skyline Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97229.

Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.skylinememorialgardens.com for the family.

SEE LESS
Generic floral icon for Dignity Memorial
SEND FLOWERS
ADD A MEMORY
RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS
Services
A Celebration of Life Service Thursday, March 21, 2019
RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
Memories
Frederic Seller Hirsch
ALL MEMORIES FROM THE FAMILY
SEND FLOWERS
FROM THE FAMILY
Obituary of Frederic Seller Hirsch
IN THE CARE OF

Skyline Memorial Gardens Funeral Home
Portland, OR
503-292-6611
Posted by: Lori

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 10:43 PM

Since the gentleman from the obituary was in the Coast Guard '59-'63, and since there's a Coast Guard base on Kodiak Island in the gulf of Alaska, I think it's likely the knife's original owner! Good possibility he purchased the knife from Ward Gay or Tommy Bish, both Randall dealers during that time.

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/17/19 11:34 PM

I bet this is the former owner, Lake Oswego is less than 100 miles from where I live. An real outdoorsman owned this knife, and the Kodiak connection makes sense. White Stag was a quality outdoor gear MFG, in the 50's 60's and 70's, in Portland,Oregon. I spent many an expedition fishing the Dean River in British Columbia in a White Stag tent with my dad. The Knife had an auction tag on it when it came to me. Thanks for the help and info, and warm welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Tim
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 12:31 AM

Lori, that was an excellent catch. Looks like he was the owner for sure!
Walker

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 03:54 AM

The butterfly stitching does not look like Johnson. It definitely looks like Heiser.
It is a Heiser HKL Sheath.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 06:47 AM

Knife & sheath in topic:

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Lori
Good possibility he purchased the knife from Ward Gay or Tommy Bish, both Randall dealers during that time.

I've never known these 2 gentlemen to be Randall dealers. I've always thought they were very good acquaintances, customers of Randall.
Have I missed, or overlooked this subject somehow?
Posted by: JE6245

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 09:58 AM

Nicely done Lori! That provenance really adds a lot for that knife. Pretty cool knife overall. Looks like one that was actually put to good use but still in nice condition. Although a "mint" version of that knife would have a higher dollar value, to me this knife is much more interesting and "real". Congrats on acquiring that one Tim and thanks for sharing.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Tim--

If you plan to keep the knife, maybe use the process that Grady McCotter used to clean and preserve the sheath.

He wrote it up, and I think it is posted someplace on this forum.

I also could email it to you if you PM me your email address.

Larry

With all due respect to Grady, I have seen too many sheaths he worked on that "needed" nothing, and the sheaths were sometimes ruined. Became soft, stitching loosened, leather weak and became dark in color. In the end, the "treatment" was a detriment, not a savior.

The only time I would even consider something like that is if a sheath suffered from extreme dry rot.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 03:22 PM

Crutch--

The only reason I referred to Grady is because he became something of the "go to" among RMK people.

I try to avoid adding anything to a sheath that might soften it. It is not nearly as protective against cut-through if it is weakened, soggy, limp.

The sheath in this thread looks pretty good, maybe a bit of cleaning to the surface and maybe a coat of wax to seal the smooth surfaces. Do nothing to the rough leather.

I am trying to renovate a Seguine sheath currently that got something put into it that softened it a bit as far as I can tell. Cleaned it, now letting it fully dry in the "warm" garage, then just a good coat of paste wax on it to seal it and hopefully firm it up a bit.

Larry

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 06:06 PM

"I've never known these 2 gentlemen to be Randall dealers. I've always thought they were very good acquaintances, customers of Randall.
Have I missed, or overlooked this subject somehow?"

Gaddis mentions Ward Gay ordering up to 12 of his specials at one time. It's known that Bish built a good number of "kit" knives too. That may not mean they were actually dealers, in the strictest definition. I guess perhaps the description of them as a "source" for Randall knives would be better. ? Maybe ?

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 06:25 PM

I totally agree with Joe on this. I wanted to say something but every time I say something I usually get chewed out but bottom line is that sheath definitely did not need a Grady make over.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/18/19 08:37 PM

Larry -

I don't disagree, allot of folks sent sheaths in, but again, the majority of sheaths sent for "treatment" did not need anything done to preserve them.

It is not unlike cleaning a knife. It is only original once.

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/19/19 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
allot of folks sent sheaths in, but again, the majority of sheaths sent for "treatment" did not need anything done to preserve them.

Sent a Model 16 sheath to him before I knew better, wished I had not. I let it sit in the shed for a month afterwards, to try and let the cigarette smell go away.
Posted by: TAH

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/19/19 11:41 AM

I love threads like this. Cool knife, Tim.

Re: New to me Randall Knife - 09/19/19 06:27 PM

Thanks everybody!