Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care

Posted by: Gene RK user

Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 01/02/19 11:55 AM

Corrosion: I have never had any problems over the years with my Stainless Randall models. However, my regular Carbon Steel models tarnish over time. I have regularly used Brownells Rust Preventative #2, but my 2-5 and 5-4 just won’t stay long without black stains. Your recommendations?
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 01/02/19 01:51 PM

Flitz polish will leave a protective layer so long as you don't wash it off with another cleaner.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 01/02/19 01:56 PM

I have personally not used Marine Tuf Cloth but I heard good things about it.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 01/02/19 02:58 PM

A little Ren Wax has always worked well on my 01 blades and a can of it should last you for years. I use it on some of my collector firearms and swords as well - great stuff.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 01/02/19 04:20 PM

I use Marine Tuff Cloth on all of my old carbon fighters. Great product!
Posted by: ROBERT MCINTOSH

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 01/07/19 02:26 AM

Mine are in a very harsh humid environment and all are wrapped in VCD paper like the paper found on new bearings in boxes etc but first coated in a spray grease. Seems to work for me. Also a bit of gun oil mixed in sometimes.
I probably have 50/50 carbon and steel blades. None are used as I have plenty of other users to play with

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/25/19 08:31 PM

Bought 2 of these treated cloths recently and they seem to be the ticket to combat oxidation on steel, brass and nickel silver. It will dry to a haze and leave it that way.
This isn't the best smelling stuff when it gets on your hands. I suggest wearing a latex glove. My first experience took me repeatedly washing my hands to get the chemicals off my skin.
Also, the package says seal the cloth tightly after use. Well it doesn't come in a zip lock bag so get your own.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/25/19 08:33 PM

"Pickle it".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/25/19 08:39 PM

Would never stand up long term to this product & keep the original finish.
Pickle a user, keep a keeper.
Use and judge for yourself and form your own opinion.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/26/19 02:55 PM

PICKLE EVERYTHING!
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/26/19 03:39 PM

Earlier versions of Tuff cloth had press and seal packages.
Must be they saved some money on packaging. frown

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/26/19 05:13 PM

Mike,

I believe there's Tuff Cloth and Tuff Cloth Marine. Package maybe different.
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/26/19 08:21 PM

Both always had the closure on it. That stuff does stink! Works well on other stuff too if it's not a moving part it can really seem to last
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/27/19 09:58 PM

The Sentry Tuf-Cloth has been around for a while and discussed years ago here on the forum.

I use it for long term storage.

By the way, when mine dries out, I add a small amount of turpentine to reconstitute it. But I don't know how to tell when the active agent might be "used up."

Larry
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 06/27/19 10:22 PM

This is the solvent on the cloth. Keep a microfiber cloth in a can and refresh it when needed. This bottle goes a looooooooong way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U88S12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted by: Mell73

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 07/05/19 09:22 AM

I’ve been using Renaissance wax on all of my knives and had very good luck with corrosion resistance.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 07/05/19 08:25 PM

Mike and Warren--

The press-seal bags did not always seal very well, and sometimes one side of the plastic seal would pull loose so there was no seal at all. I just started using Zip-Lock bags instead.

I have one of the large bottles of the liquid, and also just ordered another of the small bottles with the needle applicator. The one I had--somehow the needle got broken, and I have to be more careful with the one that is coming.

I like the needle applicator because it allows me to precisely place small drops into folding knife mechanisms without having it run all over the knife, my hands, my pants pocket.

I am not sure looking at their website whether the needle applicator bottle is still being offered, but I did find it on the "bay."

Larry

Re: Randall Carbon Steel corrosion care - 07/05/19 08:42 PM

Larry,

I really don't see a regular wipe down so I'm not concerned. I have another fresh unopened one for down the road. Besides, this is long term storage care, not a monthly ritual.