The Terminator

Posted by: crutchtip

The Terminator - 12/02/18 08:53 AM

My name for this knife that was recently repatriated after about 15 years I guess. Largest Randall made with saw teeth, and largest riveted sheath ever made.
Posted by: Wally

Re: The Terminator - 12/02/18 09:07 AM

THAT is CRAZY !
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: The Terminator - 12/02/18 09:15 AM

Blade length?
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: The Terminator - 12/02/18 10:00 AM

Looks like a Thorp that developed a bad attitude somewhere in the process. I like it.
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: The Terminator - 12/02/18 10:36 AM

If that's a Thorp. it would be 13", but it doesn't have the
clip point shape of the current Thorp ... is that because of the saw teeth?

Cool Randall!

Tony

Re: The Terminator - 12/02/18 10:41 AM

Bingo!
Posted by: Kirko

Re: The Terminator - 12/02/18 12:19 PM

Dreadful !
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: The Terminator - 12/03/18 08:28 AM

My kinda knife!

One of a kind?

Tom Flynn

Re: The Terminator - 12/03/18 10:55 AM

yep
Posted by: Brent

Re: The Terminator - 12/04/18 03:10 AM

More info,please sir.

Re: The Terminator - 12/04/18 10:43 AM

Whatcha looking for Brent?

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 01:51 AM

Anything. The specs., the age, the history behind this monster.

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 07:55 AM

Forged as a Raymond Thorpe Bowie. I would estimate late 60's. One of a kind beast. Impressive to say the least, the baddest Bowie on the planet.

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 02:15 PM

Thanks. I can recognize most of the models, the ones I can't, I refer to my handy RMK catalog:-). These one offs really tax the old grey matter. Is there a good reference book that lists most of these(or even some) available? If not, maybe a project for someone, hint,hint.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 05:12 PM

No matter how I word this it's going to sound like I'm pissing on Joe's Cheerios..."BUT"...Dave Griffin made me 3 sawtooth Bowies in 1987. Thorp, Confederate, Sportsmans (9") were the "trio". All were made with the small teeth (by today's standards), had brass #18 hilts (with the holes), Red, white & blue spacers (wider than today's), black micarta handles. slab sides, #14/underneath style finger grips and wrist thongs! All had Johnny Johnson wide stitched roughbacks.
I sold all 3 to Glynn Martin (The guy that wood-burned a lot of Randall-type artistic signs) in the early 1990's. Wish I hadn't. Wish I had 'em back..."BUT"...in that time period it was not, in the least bit, unusual to get these "one-offs" done!
Joe's example is far older than mine...and, of course, that smokin' sheath but it goes to show that "one-of-a-kinds" are (sometimes) not!
Keep searchin' folks. They're out there. The Sportsmans I described surfaced a couple of years ago...Ya' never know!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 06:52 PM

I think the "set" may have been broken up. I saw at least one of those if not two at the Blade show maybe 15 years ago. I never saw a Thorpe. I know I saw the sportsman's. In fact, the more I think about it, I'm not 100% sure if I saw the Smith. That would look kinda dumb as wide as the blade is but not sure. So many knives over the years.

Nevertheless, this is the largest Randall Knife I have personally ever seen with saw teeth, and is for sure the largest riveted sheath.
Posted by: Chief

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 07:18 PM

This one Joe?
Posted by: Kirko

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 09:33 PM

That's nice !
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 09:35 PM

I wish that knife could still be ordered as pictured Chief, has always been a favorite since it was posted ..
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 09:42 PM

"That" was one of the 3. I never saw a #12-11", Heavy, made with teeth either Joe. I agree the set is, most probably broken up.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Edited to say that I may have been correct (from decades-old memory) about the knife configuration...but wrong on the wide stitched sheaths. I guess I just presumed wider stitch pattern because it was after Maurice Johnson was gone...CCS

Re: The Terminator - 12/05/18 11:15 PM

Yep David, that is the one!
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: The Terminator - 12/06/18 07:18 AM

Chief,

That is one special knife! Wish that could be done to one or two of mine.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Chief

Re: The Terminator - 12/06/18 08:07 PM

LOL You & Me both........waiting for the day that it's up for sale!