Must have...Don't have...

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 12:57 AM

We all have a "bucket list' of sorts, at least usn's with seniority! I have been fortunate in my life to have already fulfilled a decent portion of mine. My bucket is, by absolute, no means full and it probably will never be. I think that is how it is supposed to be..."BUT"...(Alright: Got a "but" in in the 1st paragraph)...I ain't goin' down without a fight to get it full!
I have also been fortunate enough to own some killer knives...no doubt. Still: There are always "some"...or "one" that eludes me. I'm sure it's the same with some of you. So....How about sharing your "itch"...needing scratching.
It doesn't have to be extremely hard-to-find although we'd love to hear about those too. It could just be a Randall knife that you've wanted, had and let go, or even "thought" you might wanna' have. Let's dedicate this thread to sharing your aspirations...and trying to stay "on track" and "on topic".
One for me that would delve into the exotic and expensive would be a mint white tenite #14 or #15. Not very expensive at their introduction, future...more superior...handle materials would lead to tenite's demise and enter it into the realm of a "drop-dead" collectible RMK today!
I have owned one..."back in the day"... we tenured knife freaks would say. It was not "mint" enough for me (or so I thought). In that time period (late 1960's) "stuff" came up-n-around time and again and there was no urgency to acquire these things. Of course, that was before Al Gore invented the internet.
Other RMKs would also still help to wet my whistle...how about you folks?
Let's hear from you. Stay sharp,
Capt. Chris
Posted by: Wally

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 08:18 AM

I know what mine is without thinkin. I couldn't afford it right now, but by the time BLADE rolls around I'll be able to. Tune had one a year or two ago that fit my criteria perfectly, and it was pictured in one of Hunt's books... a WW2 brass furnace link model 2 in beautiful condition. Everything after that is gravy!
Posted by: Ironworker

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 09:05 AM

Being land locked in the Midwest mine would be a 60's era Model 16. Micrata handle with plugged holes.but any 60' era would be sweet.
Posted by: Doug74

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 09:18 AM

I would love one of the first 20 or so Astros that were made for the Mercury program back in the 60s. As some of you may remember, one popped up on eBay a couple years ago.....I wanted it so bad, but unfortunately a little too rich for my blood. In hindsight, should have bought it and sold off other Randall’s to finance it (but would have been a good portion of my collection)....ugh.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 11:21 AM

Mine are pretty simple... and all 3 would really require a good quality lamp for me to rub!!!

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 11:41 AM

...& don't forget Barbara Eden!
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 12:43 PM

I would like to get a 50's Model #1, I like the blades.
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 01:56 PM

Randall Smithsonian Bowie early 50's, stacked leather handle with Clarence J. Moore sheath.
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 02:09 PM

Any Randall hunting knife with a AGM or Old Yellow micarta handle. oldguy
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 02:57 PM

5-6 in my usual configuration but with a unlined lanyard hole with countersunk smooth edges. I believe I have seen such a lanyard hole on older #14-15's in one of the books.

Another feature would be a canteen snap on the sheath.. I owned a knife with a canteen snap sheath and it just seemed easier to close while on the hip.

As far as vintage, a new a WW2 era 1-7 with a brand new period sheath would really be something special. Reading the first few chapters of the Gaddis book really makes me wish I could order one.
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 03:15 PM

I regretingly sold off most of my small collection of Randalls. I had it up to 15, but then sold all but 2 ( I kept my 7-4 stacked leather for hunting and my 12-11 stag for choppin) because I wanted to add a few revolvers to my S&W collection. Now I just bought a new truck, so my truck payment eats up most of my fun money. When I get the funds to start buying back some Randalls, I'd like to first get a 12-8 Bear Bowie with carbon blade, stag handle, forward curved brass hilt, scalloped brass collar, and brass butt plate to match my 12-11.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 03:18 PM

I have to go along with AGM too!!And some model 10's tricked out!!
Posted by: william768

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 03:25 PM

A late 1930's ( 1939 ? ) Crown Stag Randall hunter Stamped with Randall trademark/logo. The ones with the unusual blade grinds , shapes. In really nice condition AND with proper sheath .

I believe 1939 would be Earliest " stamped " Randall you can get ?
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 03:59 PM

Delrin handled Model 5 and a SS stamped Model 5.
As well, every Low S Model 5 I can get my grubby hands on!

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 04:33 PM

Rod,
I've got a Model #5 (RKCC #2) for you. Let me know when to ship!
Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: william768

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 04:59 PM

If we can add more than 1 .... another would be a WWII 8" Brass Chain Link Stiletto in nice shape WITH correct sheath.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 05:39 PM

Mmm, I remember a knife with a handle remotely resembling a Border Patrol and he had S-guard. It was photographed by Gary Clinton (his boards in the background are very recognizable). I can not find this image right away fast, so I'd rather draw. Also can not remember the style of the blade was more like a model 5 or a model 14, I personally like #14. Handle of black wood or black micarta, fittings NS, and stainless steel
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 07:26 PM

Well it's like this...
It'll be a complete surprise.
Posted by: rigid54

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/03/18 07:46 PM

Well, with 725 somewhat moons behind me -and hopefully, many more to come; I can say with relative certainty, I have not a bucket list to fulfill. I have been blessed in greater ways than I have imagined, or deserved.

However...

My humble wish would be for a gently used, mid/late ‘60’s, standard 5-6 -no dedication -as vanilla as they come. Oh, and with a smooth, shiny dark handle.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/04/18 07:38 PM

This Smitty in ivory one more time.
All nickel silver & ivory. Sold it when I was raising bucks to adopt.

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/04/18 07:39 PM

Also a 12-9 like this.
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/04/18 09:49 PM

Chief,

Now that one is a real beauty!

Alan

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/04/18 10:48 PM

Chief,
I had this sawtooth Bowie, along with "2" others made back in the 1980's. #14 handles and #18 hilts on all "3". Memories...and it was no big deal getting them made...back then.
Thanks Dave Griffin,
Capt. Chris
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/05/18 12:24 PM

Brassback model 12.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/05/18 12:52 PM

I would like to add a WW2 Commando to my fighter collection. This one would work just fine.....

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/06/18 06:32 PM

Griffin Drop Point Hunter. With Finger Grips.

Bear Camp Special /#5.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/06/18 06:35 PM

Bear Camp for me.

Pap

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/06/18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
Griffin Drop Point Hunter. With Finger Grips.

Bear Camp Special /#5.

I'm with you on that in ivory!
Posted by: Wally

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/06/18 08:16 PM

Too small for you Chief!
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/06/18 10:59 PM

Scagel "fighters' are often hard to distinguish from his field knives, but not the stilettos. No question what they are. This is from the 1920's
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/07/18 04:58 AM

Looking at this fighter, can not help remembering 1922,
Egypt, Tutankhamun

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/07/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Wally
Too small for you Chief!

LMAO but the griffin is such a sexy looking knife
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/07/18 09:28 PM

Hey Chief,

No big deal ... you'll just hold it with 3 fingers!

grin

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/07/18 09:47 PM

LOL now that's too funny!
Posted by: Lytridis

Re: Must have...Don't have... - 08/20/18 06:42 AM

Among all RMK I would like, I think that all possible variation of the model 23 is/will be on the list. If possible, 1 with an F sheath. If it is to place them on a wall, I'm dreaming to once have the chance to acquire the "Randall logo": model 13 and a Thorpe with ivorite handle.
An "impossible" dream is a model 23 in 5 1/2".