I'm looking for my first Randall

Posted by: terc

I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/02/18 09:29 PM

Hi all, I'm a new guy here. It looks like you have a good thing going on with this web site. I spend a lot of time on double gun blogs, but am new to knives.
I decided to purchase a quality knife (knives) to use, then eventually pass them on to my boys. Randall popularity and quality seemed to jump out in my research.
I hunt mostly upland game , with a little deer hunting mixed in.
The model #1 with a 5 or 6 inch blade and leather handle keeps drawing my attention.
I will appreciate any advice your willing share.
Older vs. new ?
SS vs. carbon ?
Best place to buy ?
ect
Thanks in advance, Dave
Posted by: pappy19

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/02/18 09:53 PM

If you are going to use it for hunting and fishing, then look at the Model 5 and Model 3, the Model 1 is a fighting knife.

Pap
Posted by: Kirko

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/02/18 10:10 PM

My favorites are the model 8 & GTR Special
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/02/18 10:46 PM

Dave,
Welcome to the forum.
I would have to agree with Pap on the 5 and 3.But I would also take
a look at the 28.
Posted by: oldguy

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/02/18 11:37 PM

The Model 26 Pathfinder will be a good choice. oldguy
Posted by: Ironworker

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/03/18 08:47 AM

Model 7, with model 6 grind. I hunt upland game and white tail deer and the model 7 is my go to knife
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/03/18 12:35 PM

I would buy a ward gay skinner or a model 22. Something very thin and sharp.

01 will take a much finer edge and is easy as pie to sharpen but it will need more care in the corrosion department.

Wait for the stock sale or contact a dealer to skip the wait.

I recommend a waxed no hone sheath.
Posted by: terc

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/03/18 04:38 PM

Thanks for advice, There are so many variations to look at, it makes things overwhelming, but fun. I see now that one Randall won't be enough.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/03/18 07:43 PM

Leatherman makes a good point with a 22. Probably the best kept secret in the lineup and overall best bang for the buck. Great best of all worlds knife IMO.

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/03/18 09:42 PM

The Bradford Angier Model 5-6 would be my number 1 choice. Best bang for the buck and an all around user. The clip point blade is a much better user for most situations, but I will give a lot of credit to the Model 28 with a drop point. I wouldn't have a problem with either one.

Pap
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/03/18 10:31 PM

I second what Mike said. I see that Byrdguy has a nice 28 on the forum for sale

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/04/18 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: pappy19
The Bradford Angier Model 5-6 would be my number 1 choice. Best bang for the buck and an all around user. The clip point blade is a much better user for most situations, but I will give a lot of credit to the Model 28 with a drop point. I wouldn't have a problem with either one.

Pap

No doubt a 5-6 is a great all around knife. For pure sportsmans use like classic hunting a knife for use on animals like the OP suggests its main use is for I would get the sharpest grind and most special purpose skinner I could. The 22 in reality is probably the best choice as it's the thinnest, the Ward Gay looks really good too but it's a 1/4" thick knife but its 01 and has that super nice handle profile.

Not sure of the purchase limit on the stock sale but for a sportsmans pair I would get a 5-6 for all around heavy use and a Ward Gay for after the kill.

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/04/18 12:12 PM

I have no problem with the 28, it's a great hunting knife and certainly could be an all around as well.

Pap
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/04/18 06:08 PM

If you will be hunting mostly upland and the occasional deer, I’d recommend the model 7-4.5 inch (mine has a walnut handle) in or a model 26 ( mine is an LL Bean stag handled version). I used them last year to clean a bit over a 140 ducks, geese, and grouse. They are excellent knives.

A couple of other models to consider are the 28 and the 8. I’ve had two model 28s, that my #2 son and a neighbor now own. The model 8 is a nice knife for the purpose too. My two model 8 are now with #1 daughter, as she likes Randall’s with stag handles.

Alan
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/05/18 04:06 PM

Alan,

Nice to see you posting again. Life in the north country must be great with that bounty. Yes , good knife choices.
Posted by: Lytridis

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/20/18 06:57 AM

And what about the 23 smile.
I agree with all what have been said above. 5-6, 28, 7. They're perfect.
I will also say that 2 blades are better. One for all-around and one for precise job (as skinning, meat working).
If only one knife, I find the 27 very appropriated (but it is personnal).
One thing I will also look at is the handle. Although I love the leather handle, in the field I prefer stag with finger grips. Less slippery and more resistant in wet conditions.
I've never used micarta so I can't talk about it.

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/20/18 10:06 AM

Micarta gets grippy when wet. Doesn't freeze your hand off in the winter either. It's also impervious to just about everything. Give it a try! Stag definitely can look the best though, and stag could be the most long lasting material as micarta in theory can destabilize and leather... bottom line get what you like the most because all Randall handles are great.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/20/18 10:29 AM

Something else...

While I, like many others, like the appearance of nice stag, those really bumpy pieces can get pretty rough on the hand if you are doing any heavy duty or prolonged cutting. They add texture to the grip, but they can lead to blisters.

Another consideration involves the clean-up of bumpy stag after a field dressing or butchering is finished. The more bumpy the stag, the more work is involved in cleaning the handle thoroughly, and generally requiring something like a toothbrush and warm or hot soapy water to clean out all the nooks and crannies. And...this cleaning process can remove the surface coloration on some pieces that were so dark and contrasting that made the stag so attractive in the beginning.

So...for what it is worth...for a working knife I do like stag, but prefer the smooth and naturally colored pieces as handles.

Holding any RMK that has smooth stag or any other handle material, handle shape and size helps to register the grip on the knife for whatever chore, so the added texture of a really bumpy piece of stag doesn't really add much to the ergonomics--IMHO.

Stag nuts are (often unknowingly) grateful for the sambar stag that is used on RMKs. We would be at a loss if we had to depend on North American deer and elk for antler materials.

Larry

Re: I'm looking for my first Randall - 08/20/18 05:40 PM

Very good insight Larry.