Nebie question (s)

Posted by: Clock

Nebie question (s) - 05/03/18 10:19 PM

Hi
What is a non catalog knife? Does that mean it's available now?

Also my current Grail knife is the #12 Bear Bowie. I don't really need it, I just want one. How often do they come up on the used market and currently about what would be a fair price?

thanks for any input
Posted by: Chief

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/03/18 10:29 PM

As for fair on a 12-8 learn the catalog prices for options plus the base cost of that model for a good starting point.
Here are some good 12-8s for practice to get you started. Add up what you think these cost from the catalog, the guys here will help you with it so you aren't waiting for just one person to answer you.
Don't look for the ivory as a option, it's here to show how wide the price range can be.

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/03/18 10:30 PM

Yes non-catalog is available now.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/03/18 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Clock
What is a non catalog knife? Does that mean it's available now?

Those are special offering, could be made unavailable tomorrow (even though that doesn't happen often).

Aside from the catalog and non-catalog knives they list, there are other knives not seen in the catalog:

a) The non-published knives (e.g. triathlete, tailor).
b) The dealer specials (usually named after the dealer).

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 02:14 AM

Oh some of the non catalog items are very tempting. Chief I think it is very Unchristian of you to have 2 #12s when I am without one. For the sake of your soul I urge you to divest yourself of the ivory model. Even though the handle is of ivory and very politically incorrect, I will give you $200 for it & even pay the $10 fee. Should you refuse this very generous offer, the Angels in Heaven shall weep.
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 04:28 AM

You might be about a 1000.00 off on your offering price
Posted by: Eric

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 05:37 AM

I think that awesome Ivory example would cost more than this one that I sold for $1425 via Arizona Custom Knives. One of the RMK dealers should be able to get you a 5 option beauty of your choice in 8-10 months. Warning, they are like Lay's potato chips, nobody can stop at just one.

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 10:10 AM

Thanks for the pics guys. BTW my offer on the Ivory model was a joke. I noticed the cross on the sheath & couldn't resist.

RKD sounds like a perfect idea. Is RICK WARD a good person to do business with? His name was the first to pop up on Google.

Re the potato chip addition, there are only 3 that I really want, the Bear Bowie, a small dagger, and maybe, just maybe a #1 with a Micarta stripped handle like the one Gary Powers had when he was shot down. Then unless they come out with a frame lock pocket knife, I'm good.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 10:18 AM

Oh some of the non catalog items are very tempting. Chief I think it is very Unchristian of you to have 2 #12s when I am without one. For the sake of your soul I urge you to divest yourself of the ivory model. Even though the handle is of ivory and very politically incorrect, I will give you $200 for it & even pay the $10 fee. Should you refuse this very generous offer, the Angels in Heaven shall weep.

II...2....two.... TWO....????????? now THAT'S funny!!!!!! laugh

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 10:20 AM

Re , just maybe a #1 with a Micarta stripped handle like the one Gary Powers had when he was shot down. Then unless they come out with a frame lock pocket knife, I'm good. [/quote]....

He actually had a #8, not a #1. It's a bit easier to carry in close quarters yet versatile enough to handle a lot of life's "situations"
Posted by: Eric

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 10:53 AM

Then unless they come out with a frame lock pocket knife, I'm good. [/quote]

This one was made using a Randall marked Blade. I sold it, so there is at least one lock-back out there with an RMK blade stamping.

Please note that this folder was not made by RMK shop.

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC

Re , just maybe a #1 with a Micarta stripped handle like the one Gary Powers had when he was shot down. Then unless they come out with a frame lock pocket knife, I'm good.

He actually had a #8, not a #1. It's a bit easier to carry in close quarters yet versatile enough to handle a lot of life's "situations" [/quote]

It was 47 years ago & I only saw the photo in our local paper. I remember thinking at the time "Wow that's a cool knife". I don't know why but over the years, just assumed it was a #1. It was 1960 and he was flying higher then most men had dreamed of in U2 plane & wearing a custom Randall knife. Not only that he was spying on an unambiguous enemy, the evil empire. If there were a museum of cool, this episode of history would be in it. cool

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Then unless they come out with a frame lock pocket knife, I'm good.

This one was made using a Randall marked Blade. I sold it, so there is at least one lock-back out there with an RMK blade stamping.

Please note that this folder was not made by RMK shop.[/quote]

Beautiful piece of work. I'd add a thumb stud, but that's just me.
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 11:59 AM

powers knife is here www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98403
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 01:39 PM

Gary Powers knife is similar to the one in the center

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 06:34 PM

Now that is funny!

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 06:36 PM

that's what I said....

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 06:48 PM

I am down to 1 12-8 at the moment having turned my attention to 12-9s, Smittys & 19s, if that helps lol!
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Nebie question (s) - 05/04/18 09:52 PM

We only rent them for a period of time...they are never really ours....
and you can't have this one!!
:-)Rocky