Fake, not Altered

Posted by: crutchtip

Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 08:44 AM

We quite often see questions about if a Randall is "real" or not. There are not many true "fake" Randall knives, but more than a few altered Randall's. Some alterations are legit, i.e. engraving or scrim - if approved by the shop. Other alterations are not, i.e. reground blade and re-handle. There is a big difference between altered and fake Randall knives. Here are some photos of an obvious fake.
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 10:24 AM

How does the low life that creates a fake do the Stamp?
Was it stolen from the shop or do they just replicate it?

Bastards!

Tony
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 10:35 AM

Tony,

My guess but probably photo etched not stamped.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 11:35 AM

Gotta love those turquoise spacers. grin
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 06:24 PM

Warren,
Could be, maybe.
Thanks,
Tony

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 06:47 PM

Tony,

Took a second look. Dark letters look hot stamped. I've had etched blades where the letters are not dark.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 07:39 PM

Might be a stupid question but isn't Randall's logo trademark protected? If so, does trademark infringement apply to the one that manufactures the fake or the one who tries to sell it as a genuine article? It would be nice to see people get spanked for these.

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 07:51 PM

Hard to enforce when many of these as I recall are overseas fakes.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 08:14 PM

Good point Warren but if someone stateside is selling it I wonder if they could be held accountable. Just a thought.

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/30/18 08:20 PM

Dwight,

Many of these sold on ebay have been reported as fakes and auctions cancelled. This to the credit of many here who report and discuss bogus knives.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Fake, not Altered - 01/31/18 02:32 PM

These seem to be dribbling into the market little by little. That implies that they're coming ashore at about the same speed.

If there was a sudden surge, RMK could probably get some traction with CBP (Customs and Border Protection) and have them investigate so that future arrivals will be flagged.

CBP can get rather aggressive on counterfeit imports if they are sufficiently motivated.