Amboyna Camper/Blade Build

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 02:03 PM

I spoke to Guido this morning. He was wondering if I was alright. I said yes...and asked him why he asked. "Because, Gumba, I hear nothing from you"...was his response. I assured him I was "AOK" and that hunting season, along with order scheduling, etc., etc. was taking up all of time. I also promised him that I would post something to the forum.
OK: Promise fulfilled! If I'm gonna' post (and seeing as how this is long-late coming and we're slow on here right now) how about a post that'll get some action?
Remember this?
Capt. Chris
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 02:40 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Supposed to be the third build from the Blade show handle material pick ups. Should be a #5!!!!
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I spoke to Guido this morning. He was wondering if I was alright. I said yes...and asked him why he asked. "Because, Gumba, I hear nothing from you"...was his response. I assured him I was OAK and that hunting season, along with order scheduling, etc., etc. was taking up all of time.

Oh, I figured it was just another bear hibernating for the winter. smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 03:27 PM

Correct Ramking:
This material is plenty big enough for even the largest and longest Model #5. Because of this, I ask for the initial vote to concentrate on a 5, 6, 7 or 8 inch version of the Bradford Angier Camp & Trail Model. The diminutive Model #5-4 inch will be reserved for another build at another time.
If someone is reading this who is fairly new to our forum, here's what's about to happen. We (all of usn's on this forum site) are going to build a camping knife, by committee. We will discuss each and every option and will have a vote in deciding which way the build travels and gets constructed. The majority (or winner) of each voted upon option, etc. will be included in the build and we will move to the next step in determining the final outcome of this great knife!
One feature has already been voted on, with that vote being completed around July-August of last year. That vote was to use Amboyna Burl wood for the handle. That is "all" that has been decided. Much, much more work to do.
At the end of the build, when all features have been decided, we will call for your "lucky number" entry, after which I will pull a random number from a computer-generated site. That number's winner gets first refusal to purchase this Camper at catalog price with a "less-than-a-year" wait! If that person selected does not want to buy the knife (which recently happened)...please state your decision and I'll generate another winner.
The build will be done, one step at a time, in the same manner that I would write up an order for my blade list. Starting with the blade material and finishing at the butt end of this knife.
OK: Enough of all of the explainin'...Let's get on with it! Who's "IN"??
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 03:39 PM

I'm in.... Go BIG or go home... #5-8"!!!
Posted by: spark42

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 03:48 PM

I'm in Capt.
Good to see Guide is still around and messing with you.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 03:51 PM

I hear ya' James! Everyone needs to post their preference and, if possible photos to back it up or an explanation as to why they think a (5,6,7,or8) would be best. As James and others who frequent this forum already know, I use a #3-5" and a #5-5" an awful lot..."BUT"...(Aahhh: Got that in early)...I "hunt"! If I were using my model #5 as a "strictly camping" knife, I may want to switch it up and go longer.
It will be interesting to see how this build will go. The Model #5 offers as many blade lengths as any individual model...(Model 2 as well).
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 04:00 PM

My 2 favorite Randall's.... hands down!
Posted by: Brent

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 04:11 PM

I vote for a 6 inch blade, not too small, not too big, just right, ( at least for me).

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 05:44 PM

I'ma gonna vote for the big boy, 5-8.
Posted by: rfcarlin

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 05:54 PM

I second Brent's suggestion...a Model 5-6" is an ideal size for a camping and hiking knife...and was the size of the original Bradford Angier Model 5...and, I believe, is the smallest Model 5 that can have some "teeth".
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 05:56 PM

I have both 5 and 6" and prefer the 5".

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 06:53 PM

We built a #5-6" August of 2016.... perhaps stepping "outside" the box may do the group a little good... or not...
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 07:57 PM

I say 8 inch!
Posted by: Wally

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 08:27 PM

Can a 5" 5 be built with sawteeth?
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Wally
Can a 5" 5 be built with sawteeth?

Wally

My guess, No.
Used to be able to get ST on a 5”, but now only 6”, 7” and 8” Model 1 and 5’s, plus 14, 15 and 16’s.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 09:04 PM

I'll vote for the 5" length, not worried about sawteeth.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 09:09 PM

Rod, I remember hearing something about it before, like it was an option, but not do-able currently, eh?
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 09:19 PM

Going with the 5! Not many times a year needing a 7 or 8.... Prefer the 5! Would consider a 6 w/ST!
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 09:25 PM

I say we do a 5-6.Wally,Steve here is one with saw teeth.Far left is a Camper Special

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 09:42 PM

I like that sawteeth option on the camper, so my vote is for the 6 inch blade.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 10:03 PM

This build should be awesome.......6” blade on a #5 usually works for me.
“But”(couldn’t resist) with that big piece of beautiful CW, I think it deserves an 8” blade.
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 10:14 PM

I'm in
5-6 would be great but a 5-8 with teeth
That bites
I was wondering when there would be another build
so 5-8 is my vote
Sharpi
Posted by: Chief

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 10:17 PM

They do a sawteeth no sawteeth option on this?
Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/23/18 11:48 PM

How about something different and we do a 5-8 Bradford Angler.

Dan Snyder
RKCC CM 155
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 03:27 AM

I'm new to the sport but I like the thoughts of an 8" blade. At least right now I'm leaning that way.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 06:22 AM

8 inch version of the Bradford Angier Camp & Trail Model

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 07:29 AM

Everything's rolling pretty good...and...as I always tell you, I don't care what we build..."BUT"...there is an option for sawteeth on a #5-5". The only caveat is that, whenever ordering sawteeth on a 5" Model #5' you will receive a Combat Companion styled blade. No longer does it look like a traditional Model #5, therefore I don't think it's gonna' fly in our preferences.
A Model #5-5" is still on the table but let's not change the entire model design by voting for a #5-5"...with "teeth"! Just food for thought.
Chief: STN (Sawteeth grind, without the teeth) is available on a #5-6,7 or 8.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
Posted by: smcbrearty

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 09:32 AM

I like the 6' with the teeth. A better size to carry than a 8" knife.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 10:04 AM

A camp knife is not necessarily a "carry" knife. I think the intent is more of a chore all around utility knife.
where the extra cut space is more useful.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 10:28 AM

Don't know if my lousy photos will help or not.

Here are a 5-5, 5-6, 5-7, all with sawteeth. And a 5-8 with STN grind.

The 5-5's sawteeth are the regular grind, when they were available. As the Cap said, that is not what you get if you order a 5-5 today.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 11:43 AM

Thanks for your "lousy photos" Rod, my friend.......great visuals ALWAYS help me. Like the RAM-MAN said, I think we're building a Camp Randall, so just out of curiosity what type of camping & camps do you guys envision doing & using such a fantastic blade. I figure we've got everything from a 45 ft. Winnebago to grabbing a tarp & hitting the trail amongst folks here. My own absolute soul-cleansing favorite is my minimalist 3 night pack on a still hunting trip in the late fall Whitetail/Gobbler combo season.....when I'd be tickled to death to have this Build-Blade as a companion.
Anyway.....On with the Build.....And thanks for another one Chris.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 01:40 PM

Not to sound contradictory (Probably will though) but I am not so sure most folks would agree with the assessment of an 8 inch blade because it "isn't going to be carried", etc...Could be...Could not be. A poll of the crew would/could tell the story.
Bradford Angier's Model #5 was a 6 inch blade because he "thought it best" overall size..."& he wrote the book, crew"! I am also a tad surprised that not one, single crew member has requested or posted about or talked about a 7 inch??? (Huh?)...
Personally, I picture my small camp ax providing me with most of my heavy-lifting! Either that, or a machette or "pal". I would want a camp knife as a (well) Camp Knife. How about this? How about our first:....(Ready)...(Drum roll)...(Cymbals)...ROLL CALL VOTE!!!
Please vote for one of the following. (Actually, more of a poll than a vote:
A) Model #5 built for Camp Knife Chores
B) Model #5 built solely to carry
C) Model #5 built to baton and other non-warranteed duties
D) Model #5 built as a combination: Carry & camp chores
PLEASE VOTE NOW...This has no reflection on exactly what we are going to build but, rather, a reflection on how we perceive this build being actually used...the majority of the time. You may interject any lobby or bias you see fit.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 01:51 PM

C) Model #5 built to baton and other non-warranteed duties

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 01:53 PM

D.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 02:01 PM

A-Camp Chores

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 02:57 PM

D-Carry and Camp Chores.

Here's how I visualize the categories (and why I am voting for "D"):
-"A" Camp Knife Chores. A longer blade (7-8") used (maybe exclusively?) at the camp site for food prep, cooking and slicing. Given it's size, it would not the easiest knife to wear or 'carry'.
-"B" Carry. A shorter blade (4-5") used for a variety of light to medium duties; the smaller size blade makes the knife comfortable to carry and relatively easy to store or conceal as need be.
-"C" Baton and other N/W Duties. A mid-size blade (6-7"), designed for heavy duty chores (chopping, hacking, prying?). I'd eliminate the 5-4" from consideration here as we'd want the thicker blade stock (1/4" on the 5-5/6/7/8" rather than 3/16" on the 5-4") for the heavy-duty use.
-"D" Carry and Camp Chores. Mid range blade length (5-6") which is designed to be a 'jack of all trades'. Still comfortable to carry while versatile in its utility yet hefty enough to handle most chores. The original "Bearcamp Special" was a 5-5" and the original "Bradford Angier" design was a 5-6", so either blade length could fit the bill here.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 03:45 PM

D) Model #5 built as a combination: Carry & camp chores.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 03:47 PM

Bob,
The #5-4" was eliminated before we started. As to mostly a carry knife (from the blade length choices we have) a 5" or 6" is what I had in mind.
As to camp chores. Kitchen work? Really: With an 8" Model #5? I'd say at least 1" and perhaps 2" too long for me. Nobody is going to strictly use this knife for one cause, I'm sure..."but"...(Wow: Another one)...there are some blade lengths that will serve multiple purposes.
Crew: Don't get me wrong. This is "ME" talking about my 60 years of camping experience. During the past 30 of which have been far more "cozy" than the earlier years! I strap my Model #5-5" on now and it will do almost anything I ask of it at my hunting camp. Of course: We also sleep in a 6 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, commercial kitchen, with a den, featuring a wood-burning huge fireplace and 60" flat screen with "DISH" hunting camp!!
I just thought, being as "I" was the one that said to plea your case...I would just point out for, how in my mind's eye, I would classify this knife.
Keep 'em coming.
Also: Ramking: Crew members "should" understand that a lifetime warranty doesn't include baton work, etc...although I am sure the knife would perform well...
There: Enough Caveat.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: A shot of more (not much more) youthful Captain, "roughing" it in the den with a newly mounted 7 point!!...CCS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 04:29 PM

THIS picture is missing SOOOOOOOOOOOO many things!!!!
A.) Micky
B.) A much larger Television.
C.) the "whisper channel."
I could go on.......

I only put C. cause I found the wording funny.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 04:42 PM

I vote D. Anything I can't do with a 6" blade I have a hatchet or saw for in camp and 6" blade is comfortable for hiking.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 05:55 PM

D.

Agree w/Mr. McBrearty, I don't imagine anyone here would only have 1 sharp tool with them going into camp or lodge mode! May also hold true for just leaving the house!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 06:03 PM

... where a long knife is viable for "Carry", so long as you aren't crawling in/out of vehicles often.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 06:12 PM

D
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 06:40 PM

I'm just reading this post for the first time ... EXCELLENT!

And Cap, I REALLY was thinking of a 7" blade before I read what you said.
I have a 6" and I think they're pretty common, so I would love to see
a 7" blade ... (8" is too big in my humble opinion)

And ...

D) Model #5 built as a combination: Carry & camp chores.

Tony (If I had to keep only ONE Randall it would be a #5) LaPetri
grin

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 06:47 PM

I vote D

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 07:21 PM

C please
Baton
My Idea of camping is The Hampton Suites
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 07:29 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 07:37 PM

D.....
Posted by: mhwwlmc

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 08:14 PM

D
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
Don't know if my lousy photos will help or not.

Here are a 5-5, 5-6, 5-7, all with sawteeth. And a 5-8 with STN grind.

The 5-5's sawteeth are the regular grind, when they were available. As the Cap said, that is not what you get if you order a 5-5 today.

Folks,

Rod asked me to help post these pics. File size Rod was too large to upload. Hope this helps folks, good luck! As always Rod is the Randall 5 Guy!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 10:10 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 10:33 PM

Not a big fan of saw teeth "but" that middle knife of yours Billy is outstanding.
Guess I"m not to old to improve on my opinion.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/24/18 11:41 PM

You could do a Brad 6" with a brass squared hilt and add the sawteeth. Works for me.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 03:35 AM

D) Also not a fan of sawteeth. If I need to saw or chop, I have dedicated tools for that, not to mention it saves an option.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:12 AM

Cap,

Nice 7! long brow tines.

A-Camp Chores

Tom Flynn
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:54 AM

I think, better 8, it's better chops. Work on wood,
such as working with snares and the like,
it's more like a hunter.
Maybe I'm not entirely right, but I recently made
a knife with a 23 cm blade for myself,
this quite normal size.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 10:33 AM

I have a 5-8 that I really like but, for me, I think it would be a little too large even as a camp knife. I pulled out a 5-6 last night to check it out and it seems to me to be plenty long enough for camp but not too long to carry. It has a walnut handle, finger grips and squared hilt and feels very good in the hand.

So, I guess that means a vote for "D".

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 11:19 AM

What was the knife Ross Allen carries 5-?
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 01:17 PM

I don't know the exact configuration Rick but I am sure it was a 6 inch blade. Several friends of mine, in Ocala, were friends with Ross and knew him from The Springs. All claim the knife was a 6 inch Model #5. They could be wrong but probably not.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 01:20 PM

OK Crew:
All good exchanges during this "poll", if you will. I am heading out in the early AM for a couple of days, taking delivery of my new "woods-ride" and trying to kill something. I think, before I ship out we should have our very 1st: "ROLL CALL VOTE"!! Please vote for one...and only one of the following...Oh: And please only vote "once"!
Thanks, Capt. Chris
A) 5 inch blade
B) 6 inch blade
C) 7 inch blade
D) 8 inch blade
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 01:33 PM

B) 6 inch blade

I recently had a custom camp knife made it is just over 6 inches
A good size for general use

Peter

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 01:38 PM

D

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 01:39 PM

D) 8 inch blade

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 01:49 PM

B. 6"

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 02:50 PM

D

I like the extra blade length when I am grilling and using my camp knife to not only check the steaks but also apply proper taxes.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 03:15 PM

D) 8 inch blade

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 03:17 PM

D-8inch

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 03:19 PM

B) 6 inch blade
Posted by: djefferis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 04:13 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 04:40 PM

D......
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 05:17 PM

Rick,
I see James got to ya'...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 05:44 PM

HaHa
had a D from the beginning
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:02 PM

D

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:11 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:19 PM

B for this camper!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:21 PM

A) 5 inch blade

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 07:50 PM

D

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 08:48 PM

B)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 09:14 PM

C) 7 inch blade

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 10:24 PM

B 6"

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/25/18 11:41 PM

D) 8 inch blade
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 02:21 AM

B....6” Blade.
Posted by: Gustaf Bäck

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 02:23 AM

Just took delivery of my 5-6, (carbon, with reduced hilt, micarta BP handle) and what an awesome piece of knife it is.

Just some advice for a user, I'm not taking part in the build.
Posted by: Steven

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 09:15 AM

D Bigger is better.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 09:19 AM

Bigger is better if you are going to sit and look at it. Not if you are actually going to use it.
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 12:16 PM

D. 8" Go big or go home!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 03:10 PM

D....& 8" is better if only going to look at it....BUT......(sorry Cap) it's also better if you actually get used to using, carrying 8" of blade....the right sheathes make it possible/comfortable anywhere. You can always use less of the Blade....can't grow more.
Thanks for another Build.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/26/18 09:14 PM

Of all the Randall models, the Model 5 is my all time favorite. Sure, I have others that I do love for one reason or another, but the Model 5 will always be my favorite. I do love the Bradford Angier set up and the one I have used the MOST, a 5-5" version. That said , my current Model 5-6" is a carbon blade, standard thumb notches, NS squared hilt, red spacers, bone handle, finger grips, wrist thong and compass. It can take on any project.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/27/18 09:46 AM

Good morning..I just got off the phone with Capt.
The 8 inch is leading .Capt said he wanted to let the voting run
through the weekend.When he gets back home from deer camp we'll
decide on the blade material.Have a great weekend and if you haven't voted.DO IT.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/27/18 10:05 AM

D

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/27/18 11:45 AM

Deer Camp!!! =)
Makes it sound like they are do team building exercises and arts and crafts. .. ya know... Instead of being SHOT AT !!!! in the on going "Circle of deaaath..." grin

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/27/18 05:10 PM

James
You been to Deer Camp
How was it?
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/27/18 06:22 PM

I'm not sure place with a 60" TV can be called a camp.
Sounds like a great place though.
Gustaf. Sounds like you just got a great user in your hands
Heres my vote Billy.
C) 7 inch blade

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/27/18 09:45 PM

G L O R I O U S !!!!!!
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/28/18 05:45 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/29/18 07:29 PM

Don't know when Capt will be headed home.He got rained out the previous 2 days.He got one today!!No horns but meat!!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/30/18 06:30 PM

Looks like the D 8" won this close race.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/30/18 09:05 PM

Capt should be home Thursday.Count as follows.
A-5(1)
B-6(10)
C-7(2)
D-8-(13)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/30/18 09:54 PM

B
Posted by: Litch

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 07:09 AM

B = 6" please. That's long enough smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 09:40 AM

I'm Baaack!
OK Crew: We have a lot of votes, for that I am thankful. We can call this build for an 8" knife, as it leads in the voting. We "could", but I am wondering what you folks think. Should we:
* Call it
* Re-start with the top 2 choices, i.e. 6" & 8" and ask for a re-vote?
Let me know??
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 09:52 AM

Call it. Vote on next option.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 10:10 AM

Calllllllllllll it.... this part has gone on looooooooooooong enough.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 10:49 AM

Best 2 out of 3??? Sure......why not?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 11:28 AM

If 8” is the winner, so be it - majority rules I say, respect the majority and move on.

BUT if the 2 votes prior to this mornings post count and it’s a tie, run it off. No sense holding things up in a re/vote if there’s a majority winner.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 11:33 AM

Call It>

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 12:16 PM

next

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 02:11 PM

Call it

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 05:33 PM

Move it on

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 07:28 PM

I'm like Donald Duck.If it don't rain you have to walk!!!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 07:28 PM

This is like voting agin! LOL! Next!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 01/31/18 08:36 PM

You need to re-count
count
The count is the count
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 08:35 AM

I find it interesting that 6 of the responders voted for an 8" blade and 5 voted for other blade lengths?? I don't care what we build.."BUT"..those who think this has "gone on for too long" ain't been involved in very many of these.
8" it is...Next let's discuss you preference for blade steel.
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 09:51 AM

2 things are gonna happen next...
Water... is gonna be wet...
AND
this knife is gonna be built Stainless Steel.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 10:33 AM

Stainless is harder and ,"if" you're talking baton technics, would not be recommended.
Just sayin'...Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 10:35 AM

I prefer Carbon and saving an option.....BUT...I think Stainless is a well-spent option for a Camp Knife.

SS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 11:29 AM

I vote carbon. My MOd 1 has been carried in rain forests and jungles without a problem and I wasn't always in nice dry camp sites. Carbon sharpens easier and I believe cuts better.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 12:27 PM

Carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 01:04 PM

Carbon

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 01:39 PM

carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 01:57 PM

Carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 02:07 PM

Carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 03:11 PM

Stainless

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 03:40 PM

Dang it James...Maybe water's no longer "wet"??
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 03:57 PM

We shall see after you call for the official vote....

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 04:37 PM

You can always pickle the carbon blade, if it's going to be a user. smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 04:55 PM

You mean after you "lobby"...(Ha-ha). I just thought it funny that you sounded so positive at first. Such youthful optimism.
Nice, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 05:00 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh you took that as positive.... That's funny.
It's more like we don't build Carbon knives around here... this crew is stainless or bust. 1 in 3 years of builds says so.

So more like full time sarcasm cool

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 05:26 PM

I vote carbon. With a nice dark pickle job

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
Ohhhhhhhhh you took that as positive.... That's funny.
It's more like we don't build Carbon knives around here... this crew is stainless or bust. 1 in 3 years of builds says so.

So more like full time sarcasm cool

So.. we're due for a carbon blade. smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 05:58 PM

VERY much sooooooooooooooo

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 06:51 PM

Carbon steel.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 07:47 PM

In Honor of RamKing.... Carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 08:02 PM

Knapped chert

Totally rust free

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 09:53 PM

Stainless

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/01/18 10:05 PM

Stainless
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/02/18 06:45 PM

Carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/02/18 06:56 PM

carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/03/18 06:59 AM

Camp knife has to be stainless.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/03/18 09:51 AM

I have to say stainless if it is a utility knife (camp chores).

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/03/18 02:27 PM

carbon
I don't want to hear RamKing whining. laugh

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/03/18 03:42 PM

Carbon

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/03/18 08:56 PM

Carbon Steel

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/04/18 08:37 AM

Are we voting or just
Campaigning
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/04/18 01:23 PM

Lobbying! without $!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/04/18 03:28 PM

Here's pictures of a Model 7-4.5 from the 1980's and one of my favorites.

Model 7-4.5"
Model #6 Grind
Stainless
Thumb notches
NS Hilt-squared
Maroon Micarta handle
Wrist Thong
Compass
Johnson Pouch sheath
Etched Randall stamp

This a really pretty Model 7 and although I have had it a while, I just can't make myself use it. The sheath shows some use but I don't think the knife blade has ever been used.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/04/18 03:41 PM

That's the coolest #7 I've seen Pappy! ! I LOVE the square hilt!!!!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/04/18 04:17 PM

Here's one I lost a lot of sleep for

Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 12:35 PM

Crew,
By a score of 14-7, depending on how "some" voted...or not, but by discussion...Carbon wins this round. I am out the door for the last 6 days of hunting season in Bama. Here's where we are...to date!
We are building a Randall Model #5, Camp & Trail. It will have an 8" blade. It will have thumb notches (standard) unless we vote for a double hilt...(which I doubt). It will be forged in O1 tool steel (carbon steel) which is the standard metal.
That means, so far, we have used absolutely "ZERO" options! Good work. That gives us much..."MUCH" more latitude for the balance of our build. I would suggest that "now" is the time to throw some ideas around and see what sticks!
Keep it going...Best,
Capt. Chris
* PS: See ya'll next week!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 01:43 PM

I "think" we have used 1 option with the CW Amboyna. So we should have 4 options left. I could be wrong.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 02:42 PM

Model 14 fingergrips, compass, nickel silver single hilt, black and aluminum spacers. The Amboyna is far too nice to have just a stock grip shape.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 02:47 PM

Sawteeth, brass squared hilt, SFG and WT. I like brass with the CW we are using.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 02:58 PM

Fingergrips (right hand), NS single hilt,
aluminium and black spacers, and .. and me is necessary
to think a little more

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 03:16 PM

Brass would go better with the piece of wood we have. Both would work, but brass would really stand out!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 04:00 PM

Sawteeth. Single brass square top hilt. Black and brass spacers. Single finger grip. Wrist thong.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 08:29 PM

Brass stands out with Amboyna........when it's polished. Not so much when not, more so if a redish amboyna.
Here is N/S on gold Amboyna.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 08:37 PM

Not lobbying either way just pointing out the different looks.
While going from a silver blade to a N/S hilt has it's on draw backs looks wise as well, at least to me.
here is a wood similar Amboyna color with brass.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/05/18 08:45 PM

Here is a sasquatch that I don't own anymore that is Amboyna that I had made about 5-7 years ago.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/06/18 11:54 AM

sawteeth, compass, wrist thong, SFG.

... and that all black spacer option looked pretty nice.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 08:56 AM

Compass, wrist thong , saw teeth. All great for a user. Finger grips look good but they aren't real convenient when using to cut at different angles.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 07:40 PM

Talked to Capt from deer camp.Ask me to get get a vote going on
the blade .No sawteeth or saw teeth.That way when he got home we could settle on the hilt.
(A)No Saw teeth
(B)Saw teeth

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 07:45 PM

I want the grind, saw teeth no saw teeth / with saw teeth is alright as well.
We gonna have a run off on with or without teeth if the grind wins?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 08:18 PM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 08:24 PM

B. Saw teeth

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 08:33 PM

A
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 08:33 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 09:00 PM

B. Saw teeth is a great option on a camp knife.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 09:13 PM

B. Saw Teeth.

Cause they just look bad a$$.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/07/18 11:26 PM

B.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 12:23 AM

A) NO Saw Teeth........BUT, instead WITH sharpened upper blade.....2 useful blades for 1....(or, I suppose, the ST/NST grind)
Saw teeth are truly for the Bad Ass look, but not useful on a Camp build in camp. The saw or hatchet/ax will be used instead.
I'd always rather be badass than look badass.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 12:31 AM

B

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 05:00 AM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 06:00 AM

A. No saw teeth.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 06:13 AM

I am with Chief-I want the grind, saw teeth no saw teeth. If not available then no saw teeth.

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 06:23 AM

A - No Saw Teeth

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 08:40 AM

(A)No Saw teeth.

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 09:31 AM

"I'd always rather be badass than look badass."
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

Quote of the year, and exactly why I luv Duke!!!! I vote we change the name of THIS build to the " Be Badass" build!!!!!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 10:57 AM

A none

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 12:19 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 02:39 PM

A) no teeth

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 04:28 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/08/18 10:19 PM

A....ST/NST grind If not available then no saw teeth.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/09/18 07:26 PM

Don't know when Capt will be home from deer camp but here are the
totals as of now.
A-13 votes
B-6 votes

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/10/18 08:14 PM

A)No sawteeth - sharpened clip

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/11/18 03:19 AM

ST/NST grind

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/11/18 01:19 PM

(B)Saw teeth

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/11/18 03:46 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/11/18 06:07 PM

(A)No Saw teeth

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/11/18 11:47 PM

A no teeth
Grind
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/12/18 09:06 PM

This is all confused, votes for no teeth but sharp top edge......might as well start over.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/12/18 09:38 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 11:03 AM

We'll build this knife "without" teeth. Yes crew: I'm Baaa-aaack! I love a STN grind as well and I agree with Chief...the vote is confusing..."BUT"...(& this is a big but)...It's Chief's fault!! (Ha-Ha). Here we go: ROLL CALL VOTE!!! for one or the other, no "editorials"...Just vote. I'll give this 2 days!
A) Standard Model #5 blade (Nothing sharp on top)
B) STN grind (Sawteeth grind, without the teeth)
That's the 2 choices available as of..."RIGHT NOW"! If you want a standard blade, with a top bevel sharpened, we'll build it later...(& would make more sense for the build to be a Model #1, which has the same deal without burning an option).
The STN, along with the CW (Amboyna) would constitute 2 options used, FYI!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 11:27 AM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 11:46 AM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 12:07 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 12:14 PM

B

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 12:23 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 01:47 PM

A) Standard Model 5

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 02:39 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 03:29 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 04:46 PM

B) STN grind (Sawteeth grind, without the teeth)

Thx!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 05:59 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 06:07 PM

The Mooch is back! Mike Walters (Moochin Mike) sold me my first 6 Randall knives at hunting camp in the ADK Mts. about 10 years ago!

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 07:43 PM

A)

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 09:46 PM

A sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 09:47 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/13/18 10:33 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/14/18 12:45 AM

B
I'm with Billy

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/14/18 06:04 AM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/14/18 01:30 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 04:46 PM

OK Crew,
By a vote of 10-7...The "A's" have it! So far, we have:
* RMK MOdel #5-8"
* O1 tool steel (carbon)
* Thumb notches
* CW (Amboyna)
Moving rearward, how about hilt choice (NS or BRASS)?
Keep it coming, Thanks
Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 04:57 PM

NS1

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 05:17 PM

Brass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 05:22 PM

Brass. Specifically single square top

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 05:25 PM

NS1

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 06:36 PM

NS1

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 07:34 PM

Brass-squared.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 07:55 PM

Brass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 07:58 PM

NS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 08:06 PM

NS1

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 08:43 PM

NS1

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 09:09 PM

BRASS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/15/18 10:15 PM

NS1
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/16/18 02:35 AM

brass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/16/18 05:55 AM

Brass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/16/18 06:41 AM

Brass!

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/16/18 12:06 PM

Brass Square Top

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/16/18 03:52 PM

brass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/16/18 11:18 PM

Brass Single Hilt; Squared-Off, Old Style

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 12:17 PM

Initial preference is as follows:
NS-7 votes
Brass- 11 votes
All in favor of calling this?
Yep or Nope...
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 12:48 PM

17 total votes on STN vs. Standard #5 Grind---Nothing sharp on top
18 total on NS vs. Brass hilt (wide margin)
Might as well call it & roll on.....unless something unknown to discuss to be thrown in.
BUT.......ain't no hurry to me.
AND, sorry.....more than a "yep or nope"

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 01:37 PM

Duke,
The blade has already been decided as standard. Yep or Nope voting is to accept the lead that a brass hilt has over nickel silver.
Again crew: "Yep or Nope".
Please vote.
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 02:23 PM

Sorry Cap, I wasn't clear.....was just summarizing in my too many word fashion& pointing out total vote counts in each....so far. Knew we'd decided the first already. See how many durn words I already used??!! Shoulda' just said, "yep"!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 04:01 PM

Yep

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 04:42 PM

yep

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 05:32 PM

Yep

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 07:45 PM

Yep..Let's get on eith it.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 07:46 PM

Call it

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 08:16 PM

Yep.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 08:21 PM

YEP!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/17/18 09:11 PM

Nope
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 05:51 AM

yep

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 06:56 AM

Yep

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 08:12 AM

Yes - move it forward

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 10:10 AM

Yep Yep

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 10:45 AM

Si, call it.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 12:08 PM

Yep

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 12:31 PM

I see we are (almost) all in agreement (if not in the brass, at least in using it & continuing on). Here's what we have, so far:
* Randall Model #5-8"
* Carbon steel (standard)
* Thumb notches (standard)
* Brass single hilt (standard)
* CW-Amboyna (Option #1)
Still some building to do but we have been conserving options so still some hashin' to continue as well. Let's talk about what possibilities we should/could consider:
* Leave it alone and build what we have (highly unlikely)
* Spacers (red. white & blue are standard)
* Handle shaping (straight or commando uses no options)
* Butt caps?
* Compass?
* Wrist thong?
* Etching?
* Sheaths (Model "A", tan leather with a stone poclet is standard)
* Misc...???
Let's hear your choices/ desires...and "why"??
Thanks,
Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 01:43 PM

Red/alum sprs
Straight handle
Compass
Wrist thong
It will be finished

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 02:12 PM

Brass and black spacers, bottom finger grips, compass, wrist thong. Model A sheath, waxed. Brass and black spacers to go with the brass hilt. Bottom finger grips for everybody, and show off more of the woods grain. Compass and wrist thong, because that's how Angier had his set up. Waxed Model A sheath, in keeping with the camping theme.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 03:48 PM

Brass/Black Spacers
Brass Butt Cap
Wrist Thong

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 04:53 PM

So we decided on brass hilt but what about the option of having it Squared as opposed to rounded? Is that something to vote on before moving forward to handle, butt cap, spacers, etc?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/18/18 05:05 PM

22 brass handle and wrist thong, brass/red spacers, etching or plate.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 12:56 AM

Brass and black spacers, compass, wrist thong, model A sheath, waxed.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 06:28 AM

* Spacers-Black
* Handle shaping-Straight
* Butt caps-Butt Cap
* Compass-Yes
* Wrist thong-Yes
* Sheaths-Model "A", Black leather with a stone pocket

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 08:54 AM

Brass & Black Spacers ( A natural with the Brass Hilt and this wood)
Finger Grips - Bottom, so anyone in camp can use this knife.
Wrist Thong (Always a good, functional option).
Compass
Or
Etching.
I could go with either.
(Don't know how important the compass is on a "Camp" Knife.

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 11:28 AM

No compass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 12:33 PM

*FG
*WT
*Brass collar
*Compass or brass butt cap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 12:41 PM

I would like to see
Brass and Black Spacers
Single Finger Grip
Wrist thong

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/19/18 11:48 PM

Spacers: either brass & red, OR brass & black, OR all red, OR all black; any of these will look great with the brass hilt AND that beautiful wood, (& I'm really trying to get along).
-Finger grips/under; can be useful for all-handedness AND even more grain shows in that beautiful wood.
-WT isn't needed in a true camp knife and would actually be in the way (unless the camp is on a trout lake & ya just gotta take it in the jon boat)
-Compass isn't needed in a Camp knife (unlesse ya gotta win every campfire argument as to which direction who's tree is)
-Butt cap (& compass) just take away from & cover more of that beautiful butt; UNLESS thin & rounded
-Sheath, black& no hone; to beautifully wrap this beautiful package.
.......thanks for the Build, Cap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/20/18 07:43 PM

This build Screams for "Black & Brass" spacers and a wrist thong.

Question, does a Model 22 handle count as 1 option? If it does, it's something to look at.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/20/18 09:08 PM

22 handle comes when you get a crows beak butt cap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/21/18 10:39 AM

-- model 14/15 finger grips -- could help with a slippery grip and would look good
-- red/brass spacers -- will look good with the wood
-- WT -- either way is fine, not really needed but couldn't hurt
-- no compass -- if you can't get home from camp without a compass then you shouldn't be there to begin with ;-)

let's vote

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/21/18 06:59 PM

So with the #22 option you are really getting 2 options for the price of 1. You get the Border Patrol shaped handle (which would really show off the wood grain) & the Crow's Beak Buttcap (which would offset some of that 8" blade weight).

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/21/18 07:22 PM

If you get brass, yes on the weight part.
I most be the only one who thinks the Border Patrol & the 22 handle are different. They feel different to me as well.
I would have more of the 22 handles if I could get them in NS.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/21/18 07:57 PM

They are definitely different..... just BP would make wayyyyyyyyy more sense here.

No sense in covering up a cool custom piece of wood.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/21/18 08:40 PM

That crows beak looks cool engraved though.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/21/18 11:40 PM

Engraved Chief? A carbon-bladed camper? Interesting. BPH and #22 look "similar...but not the same folks.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 02:38 AM

Well: It's late at night and I have been feverishly posting RMKs to my website. I have read a good bit of your ideas, some of which I think quite excellent. Of course, it really doesn't matter what I think but it does matter what ya'll want to build and how...and with what.
Let's start with some spacers...OK? For some of the new folks lurking as well as contributing, red, white & blue spacers are the "default" (if you will). All red or all black spacers can be substitued at no additional charge. They "are" an option..."BUT":...(Aaahh...Got another one in)...they are "not" a chargeable option, therefore we would still have all 4 of our option choices left, the custom Amboyna using 1 option of the 5 allowed.
Other spacer options? OK: Aluminum & black, Aluminum & red...or a smooth nickel silver collar "could" be used...but: "WHY"? We have a brass hilt. I should think you crew members should chose something in brass, if you are going to use an option on spacers.
Assuming that this is a possibility, brass & black, brass & red, a smooth brass collar or a scalloped brass collar are your choices for your spacer arrangement.
We have 4 options at our disposal and it certainly would add to the artistry of this large camper to chose one of these options. Of course, having said that, I LOVE red, white & blue spacers and 2 of my most-often used RMKs have standard red, white & blue spacers.
...........But...Alas: It's your choice. Let's hear from you. No vote...not just yet.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
Examples below:

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 07:36 AM

Brass and red!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 08:04 AM

Brass & red

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 08:14 AM

All black

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 09:11 AM

brass and red

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 09:23 AM

B&R

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 12:30 PM

brass and red

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 03:10 PM

Black and brass

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 08:24 PM

Engraved Chief? A carbon-bladed camper? Interesting. BPH and #22 look "similar...but not the same folks.
Best, Capt. Chris

I don't like it when the cuffs & collars don't match. But when you engrave the dura........they look more a like to me.
and no I wouldn't engrave this one.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 09:33 PM

All Black

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/22/18 10:37 PM

BRrrrrr
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 11:28 AM

Brass/Red

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 11:35 AM

OK Crew,
So...Are we doing brass & red spacers?
A) Yeah
B) Nah
....ROLL CALL VOTE...
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 11:43 AM

B) Nah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 11:51 AM

A) Yeah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 12:38 PM

B) Nah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 12:45 PM

B)Nah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 02:59 PM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 03:34 PM

Yeah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 03:46 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 04:14 PM

A-yeah

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 05:30 PM

I am not so sure brass and red would actually work here.

Maybe we could agree to the brass spacers and let the winner choose red or black?????

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 07:50 PM

I feel it's going to be brass & red James. I (personally) don't care for brass & red in "most" configurations, rather preferring brass & black, with few exceptions. Brass & black lends itself to like coloring with a large selection of woods, where a red spacer has to match "just right" to a wood. If a wood has a red hue, it many times contains dark matrix, spalting, etc. that the black spacer compliments. The red spacer is not as complimentary..."IN MY OPINION"..."BUT"...ya'll should know by now that I don't care what we build!
I have a couple of good customers (some frequent this forum) that "just, plain, prefer brass (or aluminum) and red spacers. Fine. I order what they want. I don't agree many times but they're the boss.
Debate shall persist, I am sure but we'll see where it goes??
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/23/18 11:31 PM

A
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/24/18 02:29 AM

A,....BUT, ain't a thing wrong with the RamMan's thinking, unless there's some kinda' rule says we can't.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/24/18 08:06 AM

B) Nah

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/24/18 12:47 PM

B) Nah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/24/18 10:23 PM

B. Nah
The older Randall I have with Brass and Red spacers, the red has darken a lot. Don't know if that will happen with newer models.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/25/18 07:56 AM

B-No (agree black is more complimentary)

I will say though - pulled out a recent brass/red optioned Randall I have with ironwood handle, certainly does not look bad to my eyes- I think the wood on this build would look better with black personal preference only (black makes me think of the natural "imperfections" in the wood - which add to its character/appeal).

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/25/18 02:17 PM

nah

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/25/18 07:58 PM

NAH!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/25/18 08:25 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/25/18 08:41 PM

B(Nah)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/26/18 06:17 PM

OK Crew:
In the interests of moving forward...and to be fair to the lucky winner who, after all, has to pay for this knife, I think it a fair compromise to allow brass & red or Brass & black spacers, per the winner's preference!! The vote tallies 10-8 in favor of black..."BUT"...(you knew it was coming)...I cannot help but feel that my personal comments possibly swayed that secondary vote.
So...Let's move on. We have, thus far:
* Randall Model #5-8"
* Carbon steel
* Standard blade shape
* Thumb notches
* Brass single hilt (Standard or squared top)
* Brass spacers (Black or Red)
* CW Amboyna Burl Handle material
Looking close to wrap-up. We still have some latitude, option-wise.
* Handle shaping
* Butt caps, plates, etc.
* Wrist thong
* Compass
Let me hear your thoughts...
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/26/18 06:19 PM

Brass 22 handle and wrist thong.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/26/18 06:25 PM

BP or SFG shape for me. Nothing to cover up or take away from a great piece of custom wood!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/26/18 07:16 PM

I 2nd Pappy - 22 handle, brass crow beak butt cap, and wrist thong

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/26/18 07:17 PM

SFG will work great with the thumb notches

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/26/18 07:25 PM

Border Patrol Handle Shape
Brass Butt Cap
Wrist Thong

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 12:22 AM

FINGER GRIPS
WRIST THONG
COMPASS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 02:02 AM

Brass but cap. Single finger grip or model 14 finger grips. Not everyone is right handed so right hand or left hand finger grips should not be a decision unless that decision is up to the winner.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 02:27 AM

Model 14 finger grip, wrist thong, compass.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 07:16 AM

SFG with thumb notches butt plate & wrist thong

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 08:08 AM

single finger grip, wrist thong and compass. Amboyna does't need a butt cap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 09:05 AM

M14 FG
WT

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 09:10 AM

•Finger Grips - Bottom, so anyone in camp can use this knife.

•Wrist Thong (Always a good, functional option).

•Etching.

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/27/18 08:51 PM

SFG
Please
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/28/18 04:12 AM

FG (right or left handed as chosen by winner)
Crows' Beak
WT
Black, No Hone
The 8" blade on this #5 will both look & feel great , as it balances out this long blade & .beautiful wood handle

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 02/28/18 01:45 PM

Border Patrol Handle
Wrist Thong
Does the longer blade need a but cap for better balance???

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/01/18 11:36 PM

Alright....nobody's going to bite on Dennis's question so I guess I will. Been this way all my life; just like the bad bird dog that'll "Hold,.....Hold,......Hold" and then all a quiver can't stand it & breaks too early. So, I'll give my opinion and would then appreciate it if others would jump in & correct me. The #5-8" I posted a picture of a couple frames back has been mine less than a year but I've been fortunate enough to wear it, hike with it, camp with it, & more. I have been so impressed with how it feels in MY hand, using and carrying it. The stag & handle, blade size and balance all feel perfect to ME. I don't know how it'd feel without the butt cap.
The thing is I feel it's a personal thing. Kinda' like spacer color, lots of options & personal taste comes into play. Except in my case, being color blind, I really don't care. Learnd at an early age camouflage didn't work on me.....always saw the bird, buck or other hunter first.
So, personal preference (re: balance) or whatever else you guys think????

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 06:52 AM

Being lighter weight O-1 probably not.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 06:10 PM

There is no significant difference in weight between the carbon & stainless blades but a butt cap on "any" 6, 7 or 8" blade will aid in overall balance..."BUT"...this will (mostly) apply to a solid nickel silver butt cap or a brass butt cap.
Duralumin carries a lot less weight, therefore is not as noticeable, when speaking of offsetting an 8" blade. For purposes of "our" conversation and to directly speak to my friend, Dennis' question..."YES"...a brass butt cap (to match the hilt and spacers) "will" make a difference in the overall feel and make for a more equally balanced camp knife.
What this Crew needs to decide is:
* Are we makin' this thing "pretty"?
* Are we makin' this thing "useful" (to it's fullest extent)?
* Are we harbouring a Safe Queen?
* Are we makin' a "compromise knife"?
Let me hear your thoughts. I agree that this amboyna is superb in looks, figure, etc., etc... Does that mean to sacrifice something? Is there a way to have it all? You guys tell me.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 06:40 PM

Seems to me that balance is more important on a fighter than on a camp or field knife. So, I'm more inclined to "show the wood" and not have a butt cab. Just 'cuz it's a user don't it can't be purty. Same goes for women.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 08:45 PM

* Are we makin' this thing "useful" (to it's fullest extent)

Yes, for me.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 09:44 PM

Yep, a useful camp knife. At least it looks like that for me.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 09:55 PM

I'm getting to old for safe queens. I want a useful camp knife.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 09:57 PM

I'd rather have a compass than a but cap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/02/18 11:26 PM

Make it useful.The wood is to pretty to be wearing a cap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/03/18 02:50 AM

I will use it if it is mine and I would like a brass butt cap. There will still be plenty of beautiful wood between the hilt and butt cap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/03/18 05:01 AM

useful,

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/03/18 05:43 AM

Useful

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/03/18 10:23 AM

User. Needs a brass butt cap.
A #22 style handle will also show more wood grain & add the crows beak will add a little more weight at the back end.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/03/18 04:05 PM

Thanks for the detailed response Duke and Capt. The biggest knife that I have had much experience with in the field #18 and it has a decent balance.
Pretty and useful would get my vote.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 03:08 PM

So, at this point seems to me we've got 3 options left to finish up this #5-8" very useful, incredibly beautiful, potentially safe queen Randall which is evolving into a compromise knife. My users are beautiful and my beautiful safe queen (or 2) are potentially users. No getting around this truth. Guess it's more fill the options with which that's still possible?........Or just stop sooner & say "we're done & hope I win." Any way we got a very useful, incredibly beautiful, potentially safequeen #5-8" Randall.
It's kinda' like crabcake baby....it's all good!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 05:12 PM

I don't like crab cakes. Not even a little bit.
..............."BUT"..............Thanks to everyone for their comments. Let's figure it out and get done! 1st off.
ROLL CALL VOTE!! Vote for one "ONLY"!
A) Leave the butt end natural
B) Put something on it
That's it. 3 days to vote. Call it Wednesday night!
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 05:44 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 06:54 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 07:04 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 07:38 PM

B) Put something on it

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 07:51 PM

B

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 09:11 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/04/18 09:18 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 06:35 AM

B

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 08:48 AM

B) Put something on it.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 10:01 AM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 10:24 AM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 10:44 AM

A) it's pretty wood.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 12:01 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 12:04 PM

B) Put something on it

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/05/18 03:24 PM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/06/18 11:58 AM

B) Put something on it.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/07/18 10:09 AM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/07/18 06:48 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/08/18 01:39 PM

Capt.
The current tally is

A) = 7

B) = 12

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/08/18 02:56 PM

A.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/08/18 10:03 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/09/18 01:27 AM

Sorry for the delay. I have been "On The Road"! Just got back in. Looks to me like we're putting a butt cap on this Camper.
What else?
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/09/18 08:10 AM

A wrist thong for a user

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/09/18 08:49 PM

SFG and Wrist thong.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 09:19 AM

OK Crew,
2 responses, both for a wrist thong. Assuming a brass butt cap?? We have 2 days to complete this build. We have:
* #5-8"
* Carbon
* Thumb notches
* Brass single hilt
* Standard or squared hilt to be determined
* Brass spacers (color to be determined)
* CW (Amboyna)
* Brass butt cap (?)
* Wrist thong
..................Let me hear from you folks or this is it (above)
Time ticking....
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 09:52 AM

OK Crew,
We have 2 days to complete this build. We have:
..................Let me hear from you folks or this is it (above)
Time ticking....
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Huh?
What happened?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 10:06 AM

What happened? Sounds like Cappy's on a mission to finish this build.

Let's roll with the Wrist Thong!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 11:03 AM

What about Handle Shape?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 11:04 AM

If we can complete this by Monday evening, it can be submitted on my next Blade list to RMK. If not...another month...(ugh)
Thanks, Capt. Chris
PS: "This" is another reason I like the "Crew" to vote for "all options", rather than allowing for "changes" after the fact...More delays.
CCS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 11:12 AM

This BEGS for a #22 handle with Brass Butt Cap (Crow's Beak of course).

Wrist Thong.

Etching (If I haven't used all 5 options yet) grin

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 11:23 AM

Brass butt cap, yes.

I'm down for wrist thong and either SFG or FG (buyer chooses left/right).

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 12:00 PM

22 brass handle, wrist thong, etching.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 12:26 PM

Sorry Mike,
No more "Buyer's Choice". The crew will vote on the knife, from here to eternity. I have already agreed to "2" buyer's choices...That's it. In the future, what we decide (in total) is what we'll build. If it's not to the winner's liking, kindly do not submit number choices for the drawing.
Thanks to everyone for their help on this build. Please don't think that I am not in favor of continuing builds. Hell: I started these builds ages ago and will continue them..."BUT"...( & this "but" is needed) the entire build will be decided on the pages of this forum. No changes or option choices after wards...."&"...before anyone asks about lefties, they need to plea their case "within" the context of the builds.
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 12:42 PM

In that case I change my recent post.

Brass butt cap, yes.

I'm down for wrist thong and either SFG or 14-style FG

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 03:24 PM

Wrist thong, model 14 finger grips.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/10/18 10:08 PM

Thong
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/11/18 01:04 AM

[rounded?] Brass butt , Wrist thong, BP handle

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/11/18 01:43 AM

Brass butt cap for sure. I don't care if it has a wrist thong. Don't really care which handle shape as long as its not right hand finger grips. SFG preferably.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/11/18 09:58 AM

SFG works well with either hand

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 06:44 AM

Brass Butt, wrist thong and SFG

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 04:27 PM

SFG
Brass Crows Beak, or if can't do with SFG,....make the handle a #22.
Wrist Thong

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 05:35 PM

Well now...aren't we just all over the place with the "close". How about this:
ROLL CALL VOTE! Vote for one only, please.
A) Brass butt cap (standard)
B) Brass butt cap (rounded)
C) Brass crow's beak butt cap
D) Thin brass butt plate
Remember Crew: crow's beak's gonna' come with a #22 styled handle shape...
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 06:20 PM

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 06:34 PM

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 07:19 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 07:22 PM

B

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 07:45 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 07:55 PM

C

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 08:20 PM

C crow's beak

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 08:36 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 10:37 PM

B) Brass butt cap (rounded)

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/12/18 11:58 PM

C) Brass Crows Beak

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 03:57 AM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 06:44 AM

C

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 03:23 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 03:25 PM

A.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 03:44 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 06:14 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/13/18 08:55 PM

A
Sharpi

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/15/18 08:52 PM

As it stands now..
A-9
B-2
C-6
D-0

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/15/18 08:58 PM

C

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/16/18 11:46 AM

If we can complete this by Monday evening, it can be submitted on my next Blade list to RMK. If not...another month...(ugh)
Thanks, Capt. Chris
PS: "This" is another reason I like the "Crew" to vote for "all options", rather than allowing for "changes" after the fact...More delays.
CCS

I think we missed the deadline?
frown

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/16/18 12:26 PM

oh yeah.

Hopefully we'll get it buttoned up before his next monthly order goes in. smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 12:17 PM

It would appear, after compiling all votes, that the "A"s have it! A brass butt cap it shall be. Now: I want a yeah or nay on the following:
* RMK Model #5-8"
* O1 tool steel (carbon)
* Brass single hilt
* Brass spacers
* CW (Amboyna)
* Brass butt cap
* Wrist thong
....We still need to decide on the sheath...."BUT"...It's time to vote for the above features:
A) Yeah
B) Nay
Thanks for your participation.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 12:38 PM

A) yes.

One more option? We never voted on handle shape.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 01:06 PM

Are there any options left? Looks like maybe one more is available. Etching? Brass plate?

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 01:26 PM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 01:27 PM

A) Yeah ... BUT ... grin

one more option, yes?

FINGER GRIPS!

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 02:57 PM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 06:48 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 07:04 PM

A)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 07:14 PM

A

Denns

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 07:36 PM

A

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 07:55 PM

A) Yeah

Border Patrol Handle shape?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/23/18 09:29 PM

A - 1 More Option
Need to select handle shape

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 03/24/18 07:24 AM

A-Finger Grips

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 04:33 PM

This is where they are so far Capt.

* RMK Model #5-8"
* O1 tool steel (carbon)
* Brass single hilt
* Brass spacers
* CW (Amboyna)
* Brass butt cap
* Wrist thong

The majority vote on the last vote you called for was YEAH to roll with these features Capt.

However there was mention of being 1 feature/option short...

And they still have to work out the sheath.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 07:17 PM

Thanks James,
OK Crew: Let's wrap this one up and get it submitted, whatcha' say? I think we need a sheath. How would you like it made:
A) Model A with hone
B) Model A- No hone
B) Model C with hone
D) Model C- No hone
I think this is a fine build and will one of you an excellent RMK!
Let's hear from you all: ROLL CALL VOTE!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 08:06 PM

A) Model A with hone

... FINGER GRIPS!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 09:24 PM

A with hone.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 09:55 PM

A with hone. Single finger grip

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 11:12 PM

A) Model A with hone

Border Patrol

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 11:13 PM

The majority had voiced to move on...included is the build as is, 'cept the sheath.
Thanks, capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/12/18 11:52 PM

B) Model A- No hone

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 05:53 AM

D) Model C- No hone Black

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 08:07 AM

C. no hone

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
This is where they are so far Capt.

* RMK Model #5-8"
* O1 tool steel (carbon)
* Brass single hilt
* Brass spacers
* CW (Amboyna)
* Brass butt cap
* Wrist thong

The majority vote on the last vote you called for was YEAH to roll with these features Capt.

Well, the wording is strange. The vote was "are these features good?" which could be construed to have the implied " ... so far?"

A *lot* of folks voted "yes they are good" with a comment about another option.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 11:22 AM

Small detail... that's over looked on every build and just about EVERY vote... When he calls for a vote on something he is just looking for that vote. Not everything else that always seems to come with it.

But that was my summary from what happened, not what Capt. put the last time he requested we vote on 03/23.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 01:13 PM

I believe that anyone who voted in the majority on the "let it roll" motion could bring a motion to reconsider the vote by which the "let it roll" motion passed. I am, however, a little rusty on my Roberts Rules of Order so I could well be wrong on that. Besides, I expect that the chairman would rule that motion out of order. ;-)

Signed,
No Dog in this Hunt

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 01:44 PM

I vote we "let it roll". All opposed...Vote now! We really' need to finish. I am not fond of re-hash or re-interpretation. Let's decide and I need this thing completed by tomorrow might, in total!
Thanks, Capt. Chris
PS: Is no more votes, we will build a standard sheath: i.e. Model A with hone pocket, in tan leather...CCS

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/13/18 05:58 PM

I'm good, apologies for kicking up dust.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 12:27 PM

OK Crew,
Let's pick some numbers! Please post your "top 3" desired number request...1st pick gets the number. Thanks for your participation in this build.
Best, Capt. Chris

01) nate-dog
02)
03)
04) Duke
05)
06)
07) Brent
08)
09) GCtom41
10) spark42
11) TonyLaPetri
12) djefferis
13) Sidney_Redford
14) Pappy19
15) BillyPoyner
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23) Windsor
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 01:03 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 01:43 PM

23 13 5

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 03:45 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 03:54 PM

14, 24, 27

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 05:55 PM

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 09:24 PM

10, 12, 18

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/15/18 09:36 PM

13 26 6

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/16/18 01:39 AM

O'BOY!! Time to use my birthday & my wife's' lucky # as the winning #'s......
Thanks for the Build.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/16/18 05:55 AM

12, 21, 49

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/16/18 06:33 AM

9, 11, 19

Thanks Cap!

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/16/18 08:31 AM

11, 22, 6
Posted by: MickeyD

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/17/18 11:20 PM

Wow, what an interesting thread, and I must say this build was well done and with civil input.
My question as a new forum member, who is the "crew" and who is allowed to enter for the chance to purchase such a build?
Thanks in advance.

Mike

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/18/18 12:32 AM

You must have contributed into the voting of the various options. Once the winner is chosen, they still have to pay full retail for the knife and all options. It's just that the Captain, as a dealer, can get the knife built in 6-8 months, instead of years. There will be more builds like this in the future.
Pap
Posted by: MickeyD

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/18/18 08:46 AM

Thank you Pap.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/18/18 05:49 PM

OK Crew,
I will pull numbers on Friday evening. If you contirbuted and are interested in a chance to win a "way-cool" Camp-N-Trail, please submit your entry prior to then.
Thanks again, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/20/18 08:38 PM

Thanks for all of the good participation from our entire "Crew"! Unfortunately, only 1 number gets the knife! Congratulations to our own....TONY LaPETRI!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/20/18 08:42 PM

Congratulations Tony!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/20/18 09:29 PM

Way to go Tony!!!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/20/18 09:53 PM

Excellent Pick up Tony!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/20/18 09:58 PM

Man! Just one number off.
Congrats Tony.

Dennis

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/21/18 04:33 AM

Congratulations Tony.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/21/18 05:05 AM

Nice, congratulations! smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/21/18 09:18 AM

HOLY COW!

Thanks Guys! And Thanks Cap!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/21/18 01:17 PM

First round is on Tony. smile

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/21/18 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyLaPetri
HOLY COW!

Thanks Guys! And Thanks Cap!

Congratulations Tony. You and I are on the same page
when it comes to 5’s. laugh

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/22/18 01:53 PM

Congrats Tony!!!!

Tom Flynn

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 04/22/18 07:04 PM

Good Get Tony!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/26/19 06:52 PM

Well,

Here it is! Just came in today. Thanks Cap!
I voted for a smaller blade length, But I gotta say,
it's a beauty with that 8" blade. A LITTLE blade heavy but overall well balanced.
And the handle ... fantastic!

Here is a quick, not so great iphone photo.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/26/19 08:20 PM

Lookin good!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/26/19 08:27 PM

So tell us the options!! Great looking knife.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/26/19 08:47 PM

The Knife is ...

#5-8"
O-1 Steel, Notched for Thumb Placement.
Brass Single Hilt, squared top.
Brass & Red Spacers (Option, I think).
CW - Amboyna Wood, Customer Supplied (Option).
Brass Butt Cap (Option).
Wrist Thong (Option).

So ... that makes it a 4 Option Knife.
Unless I missed something. grin

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/26/19 11:34 PM

Brass and red are an option... and yep, just 4 total.... maybe the only time we've NOT maxed out the options on a build.
Excellent score Tony!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/26/19 11:57 PM

Very knice, Tony!

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 08/29/19 08:15 PM

Guess I missed it Tony, nice going. Is it me or did you already pickle that blade?
Just kidding, it does look look like it though.

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 09/03/19 09:38 AM

Thanks Guys!

Warren, the blade still has the shop grease on it! smile

I'm not sure if I'll use this one. We'll see. grin

Tony

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 09/04/19 09:57 PM

Tony,
It's saying Camper but another useful carver for the holidays. Yeah, do it!
You know you need more than one anyway right?

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 09/05/19 08:28 AM

Warren ... you're a bad (Good?) influence!

laugh

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 09/05/19 09:13 AM

Nice one Tony and should definitely go in the "camping" supplies.

Pap

Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build - 09/05/19 01:52 PM

I think you’re right Pap!

Tony