Randall nylon sheath??

Posted by: digi-shots

Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/15/17 06:02 PM

I was told that during the Vietnam era, Randall supplied black nylon sheaths for either their model #14 or #16. They were for Navy special ops and were worn on the lower leg and had rubber straps to secure it around the calf.

Does anyone have one or seen one?

Thanks!
Posted by: Eric

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/15/17 06:09 PM

I think this one is from the 1980's. It is Nylon with Rubber straps with a Model 16.

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/15/17 07:03 PM

Eric, thanks for posting!

That looks exactly as it was described to me. Are there any tags or labels sewn on it?

Thanks again
Posted by: Eric

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/15/17 07:06 PM

No, The sheath is unmarked.

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/16/17 07:06 PM

Thanks Eric

I was looking for a similar one but with a RMK label.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/16/17 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: digi-shots
but with a RMK label.

Did you call the RMK shop and ask if they had them w/ the label ?
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/16/17 07:34 PM

The labeled ones were Blackhawk and the shop may no longer have those... I could be wrong but I think 1 of the forum members snagged the last 1, last year...
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/16/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: digi-shots
Thanks Eric

I was looking for a similar one but with a RMK label.

I have one, but it does not have the strap. Same as Eric's other than that. Both the keeper strap and the belt strap are held together with velcro. It came with a Model 16 and has a tag sewn on it:
Randall Made
Orlando, Florida

Scimitars on either side of the tag.
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/16/17 09:25 PM

Long ago the shop used nylon sheaths from the London Bridge Trading Company, then the shop started using the BlackHawk Sheaths. Just in case you wanted to know. oldguy

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/17/17 10:13 PM

Thanks’ Oldfuy!

The name I was looking for was London Bridge...
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/19/17 12:33 AM

I was a dealer for Eagle Industries, Ltd, headed by John Carver of Missouri. I used to stock all of Eagle's nylon inventory, and he made a nylon sheath for the K-Bar.

I discussed with John the idea to making a nylon sheath to accommodate one for the Randall Model 14 & one for the Model 15. They were to have lexan liners and the front pocket was to hold a "multi-tool", like the Leatherman, & a "piggy-back pocket for a DMT diamond stone.

I ordered them by the dozens and carried them until John sold the company to Blackhawk (or Brigade Quartermaster?).

The standard Eagle sheath was fitted for the K-Bar, which, of course had a seven inch blade, like the Randall 16-Diver's Model.

I sent one of the Eagle K-Bar sheaths with my modifications to Gary Randall for inspection and he was so impressed with the construction that he began ordering nylon sheaths for the Model 16-7" Diver's from Eagle.

I don't know how long Eagle was supplying the knife sheaths, but I faintly remember they had the Randall patch sewn on either the sheath "body" or on the belt loop. I don't remember if Gary requested the Eagle name tab be left on or off.

I believe this was in the mid to late '90's that Eagle supplied nylon sheaths to the Randall Shop. I remember when we were closing our store in 1999, I had two or three dozen sheaths left in inventory.

Gary could probably pinpoint the years for Eagle's supply to the Shop.

This doesn't help Linda for the era that she's researching, but it does help fill in the history gaps for anyone interested in the nylon sheath timeline at Randall Made Knives.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/19/17 10:32 AM

Randall sheath:
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/20/17 07:38 PM

Rodbrown, Same on mine, received from Tom Clinton with the Model #16 I ordered years ago.

Tom V.

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/20/17 08:33 PM

Tom

I bought my knife and sheath, from Nordic knives, in January 2003. I believe it is a early
90's knife.

Rod
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 10/26/17 05:16 PM

I have a spare mint condition sheath hanging around also.

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 01/18/18 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the posting and photos of the nylon variation.

Rodbrown, you mentioned you had one... do you have any pics of it that you could post?

Thanks so much!

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 01/18/18 09:23 AM

Digi

Sorry, at the end of October/beginning of November I traded my Model 16 and the sheath.
I have just spent 30 mins looking through all my pics (not organized at all) and can not find a picture. It was exactly like the one Eric posted, except no rubber strap.

Re: Randall nylon sheath?? - 01/19/18 06:19 AM

Rod, thanks so much for looking... I appreciate it!