Leather handle care……

Posted by: mic214

Leather handle care…… - 07/25/17 12:29 PM

I live up in the mountains of New Mexico where the climate is very dry and the humidity is very low. I had a Model 5 with a stacked leather handle that I recently gave to my daughter. After six years being up in the mountains it could use a little TLC.

I also just picked up a Model 15 CDT with a stacked leather handle and I am wanting to make sure I keep the handle in good shape. So what do you guys use to keep your handles from drying out?
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/25/17 01:01 PM

Mick,

I live in Portales NM now, however we are from Mayhill NM. I have used lexol on all my leather for many years. Knives, saddles, etc. work great. does darken just a little.

max

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/25/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: maxpastor
Mick,

I live in Portales NM now, however we are from Mayhill NM. I have used lexol on all my leather for many years. Knives, saddles, etc. work great. does darken just a little.

max

Hi Max,

We are in Alto, which is right down the road from Mayhill. Thanks for the tip about Lexol, I will try it out…… grin

Mick
Posted by: Stikman

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/26/17 09:42 AM

Whatever you use , use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.
Stikman

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/26/17 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Stikman
Whatever you use , use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.
Stikman

Will do!

My lovely bride advised me that she had a couple of different leather conditioners for her boots, shoes and purses. So I now have on hand a spray can of Wilson's Leather TLC, a tin of Kiwi conditioning oil and a small bottle of Bick's Leather conditioner. Anyone have any experience with these three products? Is the Lexol that maxpastor recommended better than these?

From reading the instructions, it appears that the the Wilson's TLC is more of a water proofing spray. The Kiwi oil states that it may darken some lighter leathers. The Bick's states that it will not darken leather. At this point I am leaning towards the Bick's…… grin

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/26/17 11:34 AM

I would go with the Bickmore , don't have any experience with it but based on your description , that's what I would use.
Stikman
Posted by: TAH

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/26/17 01:51 PM

I use Bick 4 on my saddle, boots, belts, sheaths, and stacked leather handles. It will not darken the handle. Great stuff!

Posted by: rfcarlin

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/26/17 02:44 PM

Mick,

I've never used any of the products you've listed, but I've had good results with Hedgehog Leatherworks Sheath Condition which is primarily a bees wax base. I've used it on sheaths and leather handles and it works very well. The Hedgehog folks recommend using a cloth or paper to apply it, but I prefer to use my fingers to work/knead the wax into the leather.

I use it sparingly, and Danny is correct...a little of whatever you use goes a long way.

I have found it to be of great benefit for leather which has dried or otherwise is in need of some TLC (it rejuvenated the leather handle of a SOG Scuba/Demo knife which had been VERY dry). I have not experienced any appreciable (perhaps slight) darkening of the leather.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/26/17 05:41 PM

I like a bee's wax base.

Pap
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 01:05 AM

Me 2, heat helps soak it in. Keep it up many times and you're done.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 08:28 AM

Ren Wax works well.

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 09:27 AM

Yep, I use a hair dryer with the bee's wax and it usually takes 2 or 3 times to find the leather won't soak up any more. Then you are done for a long time worrying about the leather shrinking or drying out.

Pap

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 10:12 AM

Try putting it in your car trunk on a hot sunny day, really makes it soak in.
Stikman
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 01:17 PM

Ren. wax for me...
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: mic214
what do you guys use to keep your handles from drying out?

I use Ren wax, and have for years.

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 07:38 PM

It looks like Ren Wax is very popular with you guys. I am assuming "Ren" is short for "Renaissance"....correct?

Will it darken the leather of the handle?
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 07:55 PM

Does not darken leather.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 08:10 PM

Ren wax is a sealer...... not a leather conditioner.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 08:44 PM

I use Ren wax on my WWII blades. Nice protectant for blued blades. I use Pecards on leather but have never used it on an RMK handle. All my RMK users are either micarta or stag.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 08:57 PM

Mick,
I can't help out much since I only own 1 Randall with a
leather handle.I use the Ren wax on my blades however.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 10:42 PM

What Mitchell said.....

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy19
Yep, I use a hair dryer with the bee's wax and it usually takes 2 or 3 times to find the leather won't soak up any more. Then you are done for a long time worrying about the leather shrinking or drying out.

Pap

Listen to Pappy, he's got it down right.
I've been doing it this way for 30 years and it works.

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/27/17 11:43 PM

I will have to check into the Ren Wax then..... grin
Posted by: Ironworker

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/28/17 09:15 AM

I have a hieser sheath from the late 40's.It is coated with bee"s wax and hard and not flexable at all. What do I use to strip the leather so I can hopefully recondition the leather. Thanks Walt. Found the list of steps that Grady sent me for restoring sheaths. thanks

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/28/17 09:36 PM

Grady was a great man. Be careful, just saying.

Re: Leather handle care…… - 07/28/17 10:52 PM

Big difference in the care of a leather sheath and the care of handle made of stacked leather washers, IMHO.

Pap