Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 08:36 AM

For a guy with zero feedback its a heck of a way to get started! sick
Posted by: Eric

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 08:38 AM

Frost Cutlery style.
Posted by: Doug74

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 11:11 AM

Hmmm.......something looks off about the sheath?
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 12:12 PM

Maybe we will be fortunate enough to have him try to sell it here..
Posted by: rfcarlin

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 12:55 PM

Here is the description from the ebay listing for this knife, and, since I'm feeling a bit sarcastic today, some comments.

"This is a Randal Made fighting knife. I was not able to find the model number. The knife is listed as used but has only been handled and sharpened. Overall, it is in very good condition.
If you have any questions, please e-mail me. I may be able to answer them."

-"This is a Randall Made fighting knife." Um...no, it's not.
-"I was not able to find the model number." No surprise there.
-"The knife is listed as used but has only been handled and sharpened." I love the "but" and "only" in this sentence. Let's see...handled and sharpened...it doesn't get much more
"used" than that.
-"If you have any questions...I may be able to answer them." I called Vegas, and the early line is 20-1 against receiving any correct answers regarding the knife.

The title and features listing state that the handle is Rosewood. And while I haven't physically seen the knife, the handle does not look like Rosewood to me, but rather micarta or some other thermosetting plastic material.

The saddest part is that 3 folks have already bid on it, driving the price over $100. Someone is going to be sorely disappointed.
Posted by: Brent

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 02:47 PM

Read this as I took a break from rearranging my book shelves. Thought I would have some fun with the seller. Told him it was a looker, and if he didn't mind,could he tell me where he got it from, Randall, or second hand. Will post if I get an answer. Yes, I'm bored to death.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 04:39 PM

something like that HAD to come directly from the shop!!!
Just exactly which shop is a question...
Since nobody here is at BLADE, and I even live in Atlanta, we could really mess with the seller...I'll have to "drink" on that...
I did attend the RKCC meeting this morning...always interesting!!
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Tracer

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 04:47 PM

Guys, you've got it all wrong. It's a Model 29.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 07:24 PM

The blade is obviously genuine—you can clearly see the ‘Randall’ imprint—but the handle is probably a replacement. An early knife, certainly, as you can tell from the riveted sheath. This is one of the earliest stainless Randalls.

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 09:37 PM

The sheath could be the ever elusive "Reiser" sheath...it pre dates Heiser...If we just had a stone we could get to the bottom of this!!
I need more cocktails!!

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/03/17 10:24 PM

7 bids now-it's up to $127.50.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 03:53 PM

And it can be one of the seller's friends - raise bids))
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 04:36 PM

It could make a great conversation piece.

Pap
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
If we just had a stone we could get to the bottom of this!

Apparently the fancy stitching on the front of the sheath prevented attaching a sheath pouch, so they must have done something ingenius--like putting it on the back!
Posted by: smcbrearty

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 05:34 PM

What skepticism. This is obviously the rare one of a kind Frost Cutlery designed Randall. The bidding is up to $161.50. Unfortunately ebay looks at it as it's a knife with a picture. If the buyer isn't happy he can request a refund but ebay will not cancel an add because of 3rd party concerns.

Steve
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 05:52 PM

Unless these are schill bids there are more than a couple of highly uninformed persons that 'think' this a genuine item from Randall! crazy
Posted by: smcbrearty

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 06:34 PM

Doesn't look like the high bidder is a shill. He has a rating of 3489 and bids mostly knives and WW2 items. It's also his first bid on this knife. The guy in 2nd though has raised the bid 7 times on this knife, doesn't usually bid on knives and has a history of bid retractions.

Steve

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/04/17 10:02 PM

Steve,
He may have put in a higher bid, and the guy bidding after him kept bumping his bid...it would appear that the guy was "raising" his bid when in fact the later bidder was doing all the work...
eBay....
it hard to read anything from the bids(except feedback numbers)
3489 is a well seasoned buyer, for sure...I've been on the bay for well over 10 years, and am in the 1,700's...

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/06/17 06:33 PM

Hey, just heard back from the seller. He states" I purchased it in the country of Qatar, from a guy in the special forces that liked to gamble a little too much". If that's the case, I hope the " lucky"soldier at least doubled his investment.

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/07/17 09:33 PM

I can say with a pretty fair degree of certainty no SF guy would carry that thing around and the Qatar line sounds like he's watched too many movies.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/08/17 08:45 AM

Dwight,

Backed up by your Avatar!

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/08/17 03:23 PM

The SF claims get old, and it's not just with RMK's.
Posted by: Tracer

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/08/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Boomer51
The SF claims get old, and it's not just with RMK's.

Yup. And EVERYONE "served as a sniper." I read that a lot as a credential for guys writing columns.

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/08/17 07:15 PM

In this instance, it's "don't buy the knife or the story".
Posted by: GHD

Re: Latest ebay fake - 06/09/17 08:32 PM

Wow, sold for $434.99, good get, I'm think'n :-)
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Latest ebay fake - 12/07/18 05:25 PM

The Micarta is nice laugh