Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar

Posted by: crutchtip

Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 12:58 PM

I lifted this photo from Jason Hardy's MACV-SOG series of books, volume X. This is one I would like to own.

Note the folding stock AK47. Relatively uncommon compared to the full stock version in this time period. More than likely captured from the Viet Cong. It appears as though he is holding on to a forward vertical grip. If factory original, it is most likely an Eastern Bloc weapon i.e. Romanian which were known for that style. Also note the skull in his other hand!!
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 01:59 PM

Now THIS is a blade that I want in my collection! So much more interesting than standard wartime era knives. I would trade a green tenite 14 for this anyday!
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 02:17 PM

Joe,
Just picked up the "KNIFE KNEWS" from the printer. Guess what I have and is a part of this issue's feature article?
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 02:22 PM

This guy!!!!!!

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 03:42 PM

Few years later. Kinda surprised Bo was still doing it post war.

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Joe,
Just picked up the "KNIFE KNEWS" from the printer. Guess what I have and is a part of this issue's feature article?
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Made a few years later. Kinda surprised still making something like this post war.

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Now THIS is a blade that I want in my collection! So much more interesting than standard wartime era knives. I would trade a green tenite 14 for this anyday!

and the provenance!!
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 03:47 PM

Dude needs some pants.

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 03:49 PM

going full native. That was common indigenous Montagnard wear.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 04:02 PM

Thank's Capt. Chris for posting that pic. My question has been answered.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
going full native. That was common indigenous Montagnard wear.

Jungle speedo. Got it. Thanks.
Posted by: Wally

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 04:51 PM

Black and white spacers Capt. Done outside of shop?
Posted by: Wally

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 04:56 PM

Joe, A Hungarian AKS-65 would have the verticle foregrip (this from memory, please don't quote me, I'll try to "Google" into it some)
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 05:43 PM

That dude is a total bad ass!
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 05:47 PM

In all fairness. .. so is the man Capt. got that Camillus from.

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 06:52 PM

Joe...and everyone,
The knife was acquired in Danang during my friend's 3rd tour. When he returned home he had his good friend, Pete Hamilton, re-handle, re-hilt, install the special (B&W)spacers, brass butt cap, wrist thong and the Westinghouse ivorite (Ole Yeller). This was all done in house, at the Randall shop, my friend paid Randall Made Knives for the work and it was totally "completed" in 1972. The story about this...and a whole lot more...is in "KNIFE KNEWS"!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 08:16 PM

"Note the folding stock AK47."

Great photo and knife. Hard to say for sure from the photo but it looks to me like a Chinese Type 56-1. They did produce them with an under folding stock like the one in the photo as early as the late 50's I think. Can't tell what he's holding on to - not sure if its a vertical grip, field expedient or something else - it doesn't quite look perpendicular to the stock. Either way, great photo of some good looking kit. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 08:44 PM

I know that many of us have had many years of dealing with Captain Chris, but I, for one, can't begin to thank him for so many years( like 1993) of helping me personally obtain my Randall orders. Certainly not to mention all he has done for the Randall community, this forum, ad infinitum. Thanks and God bless you, Cap.
Pap

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Boomer51
"Note the folding stock AK47."

Great photo and knife. Hard to say for sure from the photo but it looks to me like a Chinese Type 56-1. They did produce them with an under folding stock like the one in the photo as early as the late 50's I think. Can't tell what he's holding on to - not sure if its a vertical grip, field expedient or something else - it doesn't quite look perpendicular to the stock. Either way, great photo of some good looking kit. Thanks for sharing.

Chinese did not produce a vertical fore grip model.

the AMD 65 had an abbreviated skeletonized barrel shroud basically for the rear site, and a standard grip turned around and mounted forward at angle.

The Romanian AK had laminated stocks and the wood fore grip was kinda at an angle towards the muzzle.

Cap -

that is real early for ivorite, real early. You sure about that date? Buried tang nut is not common at this time either. Both of these really start to show up in mid to late 70's.
Posted by: Tracer

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/24/17 10:17 PM

Amazing, the stuff I see on this forum.

Thanks for posting those examples.. When I came to Randalls in a big way, they already wouldn't do rehandles. Interesting to see how they look.

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/25/17 07:37 AM

Thanks Pappy and, yes Joe: It's all in the story. I think everyone will enjoy this copy of KNIFE KNEWS.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Viet Nam Randall handled Ka-Bar - 05/26/17 10:14 PM

Like Ronnie said, this is a bad ass , no doubt.