Not Brown Micarata

Posted by: crutchtip

Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 07:36 AM

I continue to be stumped why folks cannot distinguish brown micarata from black micarta. They are not even close. A photo I picked up off the web and the owner thinks it is brown. Here is a comparison. The brown color is the resin, NOT the linen or canvas base material.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/the-randall-collector/brown-micarta
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 09:53 AM

To your point Joe.
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 09:54 AM

I can understand out why the seller cannot distinguish between the two. grin
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 01:11 PM

The seller has a buyer already for this one.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 04:19 PM

whatever Warren said....
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Shelley

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 07:35 PM

He Rocky, what is the second one, first one looks like an 11, can tell the other...

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 09:45 PM

no one has been able to figure it out....most likely altered, however it's got the word "scout" etched on the blade, which I have seen on eBay 2 other times....I just do not know....

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 09:52 PM

Rocky,

It looks like an early attempt at an AG Russell to me. First thing I see with a 5 second reply. It's damn cool. You know I like 11's, you're killing me. Lol

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 09:56 PM

Warren, one of my favorites as well!!!
The fat stagger!!

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 09:59 PM

Yup, oh my.... shocked

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:00 PM

how is it that I have seen a "scout" etching on 3 other knives(on eBay)....not a coincidence....there must have been something to it...I wish I had bought the darn things!!!
who knows...
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:16 PM

Rocky,

I don't have a snap of the etch that I can find, but this was one of the "Scout" knives.

Deep choils, so it was a 50's knife. The stag looked like whitetail, but the spacers were original.

I gifted to a friend, and he sold it on eBay..... live and learn.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
how is it that I have seen a "scout" etching on 3 other knives(on eBay)....not a coincidence....there must have been something to it...I wish I had bought the darn things!!!
who knows...

You never know Rocky. I got a chance to re-own a cool 14 that I let go years ago. At Blade this year, I outlined the story earlier that I bought the same knife year's ago from Mike Webb. We laughed saying we owned the same knife twice.
So, don't give up. Those Scouts are out there somewhere.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:17 PM

rocky -

I remember that knife, and I always thought it was done by the shop. I think the extended notches and reshaping was done to place your pointer finger while doing detail cutting work (like a paring knife) which would be more difficult with the traditional model 11 with the thumb placement only.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:23 PM

Back to brown micarta.......

Here is a dandy.... Brown button sheath, laminated micarta with finger grips!

SUPER early.....

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:26 PM

Joe,

Not saying you're wrong. I think this blade smells alot like an AG. Yeah a few different humps and bumps. So do you think there's a connection? I sure do. There's too much not to dispute.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:27 PM

Let me say Rocky' s blade to be clear.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:35 PM

If it was done by the shop, I think it was a request by "Scout" for a specific use. I don't think it had any connection with AG.

I used to own that #4 Mitchell. It was part of the "Brown Micarta" article I did years ago. Actually, the first time I saw it was at Ron Stepp's table at Blade probably 15 years ago at least and I think I ended up with it in a trade some time later. It was one of the knives that confirmed the lamination of the micarta sheets.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:37 PM

AG Russell Special...... Warren, I am having trouble seeing it.

[img]http://[/img]

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:37 PM

Ok I hear that. The AG has many attributes.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:52 PM

I bought the knife from Perry Miller...... at least 10 years ago. I sold it the Mister #4 Mike Webb. i assume he still has it.

It's a great piece. I would love to find a laminated model #1.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 10:54 PM

For me, this is the Mother of all brown micarta fighters. I shopped for a double SS fighter for a long time, this hits all of the nails. Near mint condition, double SS stamp, brown micarta.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 11:14 PM

That is the later darker brown material. This was one of my favorite brown #1's

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 11:21 PM

That's a beauty Joe. This is a great exchange of early 1960's knives.

Here is one more in my collection, an early brown micarta knife, brown button sheath dating it to 1963 ish. The kicker on on this one is the nickel silver, lugged hilt, which has never been offered as an option in the catalog.

Another trait on this one is the loose stitch on the sheath. The stitches per inch changed for brief period at the end of the brown button era. I have seen a handful of these.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/29/16 11:23 PM

I remember that one too. I know where you got it but can't remember where it came from originally. I wanna say one of the guys on the west coast.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 07:18 AM

I think all of those knives could have belonged to Chip Youngblood. No connection to A.G. or Goldie. Just a thought. Perry bought a few of Chip's knives in his (Perry's) last few years. Chip shot on GTR's skeet team and could have had oddballs made.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 08:24 AM

Here's something a little different in brown micarta.
Gary told me it was customer supplied.

#15 -

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 08:48 AM

I have a 3-6 in laminated brown Micarta with finger grooves, purchased from Perry at a Blade Show ~ 10 years ago:

There are three layers, but you have to have look pretty hard to see the demarcation lines:

Over the years I've looked for another example that is closer to mint, but browns are so damned rare that I've come to love this one as is.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 09:22 AM

I think I have posted this photo before, but I think you will see some of the knives posted here in this group photo. Note there are three blacks at the top. IIRC, the black 15 and 16 were in there because they had filled bolt holes. Also not the earlier browns were of a lighter shade.

ron might have a better recollection of the model 3 third from the bottom. It had no spacers but was correct I believe. I think it had filled bolt holes also.
Posted by: voodoo

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 10:03 AM

Gentlemen please give your ideas on this knife I have been told it was made in the early 60,s there is a bright light on it ......Thanks Voodoo
Posted by: Aggiemike

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 11:26 AM

Yep, still have it displayed.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 12:04 PM

Is this Randall knife handle sitting on the edge of the keyboard .... Brown Micarta...This is the handle of the knife that started this discussion ...I think this is a better picture

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 12:20 PM

can you post a photo of the whole knife? Hard to believe in the op that the lighting was so bad you couldn't make out the difference.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip

ron might have a better recollection of the model 3 third from the bottom. It had no spacers but was correct I believe. I think it had filled bolt holes also.

Regretfully no, Joe. That pic is the only one I can remember seeing of it.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 01:01 PM

I thought you saw it at Blade a long time ago. I was sure you looked at it.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 01:34 PM

Voodoo.... it looks like brown to me. Better pictures in natural light would help.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 01:37 PM

Congratulations Tom. He told me that it was heading your way! Not a bad price either!

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/30/16 04:44 PM

Thanks Bill but then I saw this post and.......I will add a couple of full shots

Some more pics - 08/30/16 05:29 PM

Here are some more pics.

Thanks,

Voodoo

Re: Some more pics - 08/30/16 05:38 PM

Nothing to argue about here!

Re: Some more pics - 08/30/16 07:36 PM

I stand corrected, it is brown. It sure looks black in the first photo and even these last photos from the side are kind of funky. Just bad lighting I guess.

This is the exact reason why I always give myself a caveat when discussing the finer points of a knife using photos only, shitty ones at that. This is also the reason RMK does not view photos. You gotta have the knife in hand.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 08/31/16 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I thought you saw it at Blade a long time ago. I was sure you looked at it.

I may have, Joe. My memory is not the best.

Re the knife at issue: I didn't think it was brown either. You can always count on Randall for surprises.
Posted by: boardrider

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/09/16 11:54 PM

Hay, any comments on this knife, I think it is the only Bowie i've seen with this material handle?

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 08:30 AM

Looks toooooooo perfect to me....the others will know much better than I.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 09:32 AM

Boardriders pictures:
Nice knife, whatever it is....

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 09:45 AM

I would LOVE to own this one. Prime collectors condition, not tore up like most.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 09:45 AM

Looks like a nice sportsmans bowie to me. Could be maroon micarta. I have a #1 with maroon micarta about that color.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: boardrider
Hay, any comments on this knife, I think it is the only Bowie i've seen with this material handle?

I know I have seen at least one with single hilt, maybe another double.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 12:39 PM

I have several Maroon micarta knives and their handles texture and color are smoother and "redder" plus check out the sheath, the stone, the 7 spacers and the snaps.

This one has been in my climate controlled safe for probably 30+ years.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 09/10/16 01:15 PM

IDK what Brown "Micarata" is, but this Brown Micarta Model 12 would be a sweet compliment to my Stag cousin!

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/30/16 05:37 PM

This 11-5 just in today and one of the subject knives earlier in this thread. I've got a side by side shot with my 11-4.5. Both are brown but the 11-4.5 is darker brown linen and not the same vintage material. The 11-4.5 blade looks newer too; choil and thumb recess very different.
I'm just very pleased to have them both.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/30/16 11:07 PM

Superb per normal Warren, 2 beauties. Your 11's rock!

Pap

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/30/16 11:35 PM

Thanks Pap for the kind reply. Something about the look of the older 11's with that Indian Arrow Head shape, just awesome.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/31/16 02:10 PM

Warren, Would you kindly give me an estimate of what it is worth? I'm trying to get a value for the small bear I posted earlier in this thread for insurance purposes. Thanks Griff

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/31/16 03:23 PM

Griff,

If you're referring to the Sportsmans Bowie and you're getting an estimate for insurance, I would send the knife to someone who is qualified to give you a written appraisal. You could contact Crutchtip or the Captain, JMO.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/31/16 03:31 PM

WP's right.

Captain's the guy for appraisals.
Crutchip for authentications.

Were it my knife I would probably invest in both.

Re: Not Brown Micarata - 12/31/16 05:55 PM

Thanks all for the advise! I was just really wondering if any browns had changed hands recently and what they sold for. I'm not interested in authentication because I have owned that knife so long when I bought it they weren't worth enough to knock them off. Thanks again. Griff