Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam

Posted by: Alan C

Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 04:25 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased this Randall knife from the widow of a Vietnam vet (Army Ranger 82nd Airborne)who carried it during the war and when he was KIA in 1967. He ordered from Randall before he left for Vietnam. It took him a year to receive it and it was his prized possession. Is there any way to date this knife to the actual year it was made? It has a 7.5" blade with the green tenite grips and the blade marked Randall made Solingen Germany.

Any help would be appreciated. Alan
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 05:30 PM

Sure ask her what year he went to Vietnam. I don't understand why it took a year to receive this knife as it is a Solingen blade Randall. Randall used these blades specifically to get the knives to the fighting me as quickly as possible. It was my understanding that it took only a few months to receive a Solingen Randall.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 05:38 PM

I could make a somewhat educated guess but there are a number of folks on this forum who can answer your question with a lot more certainty. Folks here can also help with what you should do (if anything) to clean and preserve the knife and sheath. Very cool knife. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 06:19 PM

This knife is in most collectors top ten list for sure!
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 06:27 PM

Solingen stamp on the ricasso is the earliest version. Green Tenite, bolted on, with exposed tang, squared hilt and brown button harness riveted splitback scabbard all point to the later half of the 50's-very early 60's production.
Posted by: Alan C

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 06:45 PM

Thanks for the info everyone!
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 07:25 PM

Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 07:45 PM

Thursday May 3rd, 11:42 am...
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 08:01 PM

A person born on May 3, 1962 will be 53 years old today. If that same person saved a Half dollar every day starting at age 3, then by now that person has accumulated $9,287.00 today. That is, assuming this person is still alive and kicking.

Who was born on May 3, 1962?
Anders Graneheim, Swedish bodybuilder

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Thursday May 3rd, 11:42 am...

That was my line.

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 09:41 PM

Uhhh, I wasn't kidding for those that might have thought I was. 1962.
Posted by: Wally

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/09/16 09:50 PM

Zaktly how do you nail it down to the year?

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/10/16 06:28 AM

Sheath. It could have slipped into maybe early1963 but no later

Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/10/16 06:57 PM

David,
Did you count leap years?

:-)Rocky

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 03/10/16 08:49 PM

I have been asked to further explain my reasoning for the 1962 date.

Johnson was making some sheaths for RMK by mid 1962 and was up to full production in short order, 6 months or so. Initially he was using brown buttons. By late 1962 to early 1963 (Gaddis) the switch was made to baby dot snaps and he was up to full production by this time.

The last shipment of HKL sheaths arrived at the shop in 1962. This knife probably could have been delivered in one of those if any were in stock.

Now there was not a huge demand that early for the model 14 as Viet Nam was yet to really crank up. So it is likely imo, that the knife was probably delivered in 1962. Could it have slipped into 1963, sure. But there is not an abundance of double brown button sheathed knives (14, 15, 18) out there, far less than canteen snap sheaths.

As I sit here I don't know if I recall seeing any of the 50's era Solingen blades such as the one under discussion in a baby dot split back. Maybe I have, it just doesn't strike me right now. If that is the case, then it further supports it being 1962 to early 1963.

As for the stamp on the back, Johnson was copying his examples which were HKL sheaths that were stamped in that location. He soon began stamping them on the front.
Posted by: SteveM

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/15/20 10:30 AM

This knife just sold on eBay for $385. Same photos from this post was used. My guess is a scam auction. It was auction 254513382864.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but thought it might help someone.

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/15/20 08:01 PM

Joe are you convinced that this is a Johnson and not an HKL?

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/16/20 11:50 AM

I really don't want to go over this again, but the thread was resurrected after four years.

It is an HKL. Back when this debate was going on, it was easier to say RMK logo'ed sheaths were Johnson sheaths, as it had been forever really. No one seemed to really care, and it was easier for many collectors to have a line in the sand if you will between the manufacturers.

The crux was weather HKL had an RMK stamp. We were always told that the shop never stamped sheaths. So, the only alternative was HKL did in fact have a stamp. But, one employee who worked at the shop during the early 60's said HKL did not have a stamp, and the sheaths came from Johnson. So, this further muddied the water.

In the end, I somewhat explained this in the article from 6-7 years ago I guess. I intimated at the time that these were Heiser made sheaths. At the bottom, I wrote a little follow up in early 2015.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/the-randall-collector/a-johnson-sheath-footnote-part-iii

I never really wrote part IV. I will at some time.

To the best of my knowledge, Johnson never made a lift-a-dot sheath. Heiser/HKL made only a handful of double brown button "C" sheaths like the one pictured in this thread, as the winds of change were in the works for an RMK sheath supplier.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/16/20 02:16 PM

Wow

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/16/20 03:12 PM

Ok Joe calm down. I thought you were saying that this sheath was made by Johnson. I thought it was an HKL. Just verifying.

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/16/20 04:10 PM

Not on you Ronnie.

I get this question all the time with authentications, all the time. I get tired of telling the story. Some folks don't read well or at all. I suggested to a guy once to get some books and read articles, etc. He said "why would I do that, that is what you (me) are for".

WTF?

In the end, there is no other explanation. HKL had an RMK stamp.

Re: Randall model 14 attack knife Vietnam - 02/16/20 09:36 PM

Roger that Joe....and yes I totally agree.
Thanks.