The Randall - Zacharias Fighter

Posted by: tunefink

The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 07:18 PM

The Zacharias Fighter is arguably the most iconic knife Randall ever made. It was the original DNA for the Model #1 All Purpose Fighting Knife and the military models that followed. Bo Randall's WW2 fighting knives are what started the legend.

Bob Gaddis writes in his book that Army Lt. James H. Zacharias came to Bo in mid 1942 requesting a combat knife. Bo and the Lt. penciled out a knife designed to slash and thrust, yet be tough enough to open cans, ammo boxes and handle any other field duty required.

According to Gaddis on June 15, 1942, Bo logged his order book with "1 special made Jap sticker", then in November 1942 and January 1943 he logged a total of 3 more for Lt. Zacharias )a total of 4). There is a picture of a Zacharias style fighter on page 67. No one knows if the pictured knife is one of the original 4, but it's obviously a very early knife. There is a lot more detail in Bob's book and I encourage you to get it. Well worth the money.

Joe Dorsky has seen and handled the original Zach. The Lt.'s family still has the knife, but Joe was able to take some pictures which follow. They are iPhone pictures of paper pictures.

Things to note:

-It is a double pinned stag handle
-The finger grips are on the top for an edge up fighting grip
-The choil is a double step, very similar to the pre-war hunters
-The sheath is a Clarence Moore, but it has had additional lacing added to the edges
-The blade is "fullered" (some called it a blood groove)
-The hilt is asymmetrical with a teardrop shaped lower quillon
-Lt. Zacharias' initials are carved in the butt and filled with some sort of red material

Here are the 4 photos of the original:

Based on the people I have asked, this is the only known example of the original 4 knives...... Until now.

First, some well deserved recognition. Full credit for bringing this knife to the Randall collecting community goes to Burnie Austin. I will put Burnie's "bird dogging" up against anybody. The man knows how to find knives!!!

This knife turned up in an obscure gun auction. All I know at this point is the man recently passed and the family auctioned his guns and this knife. The auction house would not give me his name, but did verify that he was a Marine and his Initials were J.R.C. I am fairly certain he was the original owner of the knife. The auction company has forwarded my contact info to the family, so there may be more forthcoming.

Things to note:

-It is a double pinned stag handle
-The finger grips are on the top for an edge up fighting grip
-The choil is a double step, very similar to the pre-war hunters
-The sheath is a Clarence Moore which was obviously custom made to match the hilt
-The hilt is asymmetrical with a teardrop shaped lower quillon
-Initials are carved in the butt and filled with some sort of red material

I can't prove it, but I am convinced that this is one of the first 4 knives based on the matching initials in the butts. Could these two knives have been together in WW2 when two servicemen personalized them with identical red block initials? Perhaps I will hear from the family and be able to tie the owner's record with that of Lt. Zacharias. We'll see.

Obviously I am very proud and excited to add this knife to my collection and again, I owe Burnie Austin a big thanks.

Posted by: rodbrown

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 07:40 PM

Superb find. Congratulations. Great story. Between you and Burnie, you COULD find a needle in a haystack!!!
Posted by: Burnie

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 07:41 PM

Thank you Tune and I'll say again the knife is where it belongs! I'm happy to see it with someone who really appreciates it for what it is.
Posted by: Whiteman

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 07:50 PM

Awesome knife and find! That is a SCORE! Definitely where it belongs and I can't wait to here what Tune finds out from the family.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 08:11 PM

Incredible.
Posted by: Lofty

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 08:42 PM

Speechless....

Except for those who wonder about edge-up, the hardest way you can hit with a knife, aside from a stab/thrust, is slashing with the leading edge of the point rather than the trailing sharpened edge. Normally this done in back cut, which is weak for most. This design gave back cut power to normal moves. Not a bad idea if trained up.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 08:42 PM

My take on this knife.

First, I think it is one of the most significant if not the most significant Randall to ever come to market. Only a handful of knives like this were made in my opinion, I believe partly due to the knife having a less "utilitarian" usability as Zacharias had originally wanted in a knife. It is a pure fighting knife, not designed to be held right side up, finger grooves in the wrong orientation, not really comfortable to to held other that how Bo designed it as was his preferred fighting method with edge up.

I do not believe at this time that Zacharias received more than one like this. In fact, it could be a push that he received any more than the first one out of stag. Bo switched to leather exclusively in November of 1942, the same month of the second knife going to Zacharias. Don't know for sure but will try and find out. I would bet there is no way his third and fourth knife ordered were anything other than leather.

I own the 28th knife listed in Bo's journal that was delivered 7 January 1943, and it is a far different knife than we see here. It is listed as a "Throwing Commando" and appears larger than what I can see of Tune's knife. Leather finger grooves no thong. Handle is relatively small which makes sense because Bo had smaller hands. In any case, quite a contrast but the point is that by the very beginning of 1943, the change had already been made with blade grind, orientation of knife, handle material, etc. Interesting also is that first 6 month period, Bo made 28 knives, a minuscule amount to what would be coming out of the shop in the next 6 months and beyond.

One other point that remains unclear is exactly who put the initials in the butt of both of the knives. Right now I am leaning towards Bo.

There is more to come on this piece and its appearance has encouraged a few of us to dig a little bit and see what we can find out about this early period in the summer/fall of 1942.

I can't say how happy I am not only for Mitchell but the collecting community in general that this knife rose to the surface and now is there for all to see.
Posted by: Gary_Clinton

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:06 PM

This is one of the nicest Randall's I have ever seen. Truly a remarkable piece of history and I'm glad you have it in your collection. Thank you for sharing and I know you will give it a good home.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:11 PM

Spectacular knife, it couldn't be in more deserving hands. Congratulations go out to both Mitchell and Burnie. And that folks, is the definition of a rare knife.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:17 PM

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's very exciting!!

Joe, I knew you had #28, but I didn't realize that it was made January of 43.

I would love to see Bo's sales ledger for that 6 month period.

Joe, this knife blade is 8-5/16" long and the handle is 4-5/8". It is 1/4" stock for sure.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:20 PM

What a remarkable piece of history. I would write more, but I'm
Speechless.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:22 PM

I see the length but it appears relatively slender.

mine is 8 1/2", 1 5/16 wide, handle barely over 4"

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:26 PM

It is a consistent 1-3/16" wide all the way from the choil out to the hump.
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:48 PM

A unique piece of the mysterious RMK puzzle history has now been unearthed! What a spectacular acquisition! My hat is off to you, as well as two thumbs up!
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 09:51 PM

Mitchell
Great knife, certainly the jewel of your collection. Burnie,great find. Nice to have it where it can be seen, looking forward to more details as they become available

Peter
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 10:06 PM

Tune.... You are a Hoop Jumping Archaeologist! (Yes, there are many others...) and I tip my hat in appreciation for your sharing, teaching, and camaraderie. Not only to you but all who help direct, and inform
the CHOIR!.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 10:32 PM

I appreciate everyone's interest and comments. It's a cool piece.

Steve, Burnie was the "Indiana Jones" on this one. He has a nose for old knives!
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 10:36 PM

Yeah... I've watched his posts previously and noticed... he has a keen sense. All in all, a great find for our community!!!!!!
Posted by: Chief

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 10:37 PM

LMAO Dang Burnie now you get to find knives "which is half the fun" & have somebody else buy them!!!
Great work, It's a real Find!!!

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 10:47 PM

Yeah Chief it's where it should be, but like I told Tune I'm still jealous as hell..........:)
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 11:17 PM

I'm speechless other than to say it could not have ended up in better hands.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/15/16 11:20 PM

I know how excited you were about obtaining this, as we spoke at the Gator show. Now that it is in hand: Even more so? I think so.
Good deal, Capt. Chris

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 12:13 AM

It has exceeded my expectations Cap, and they were pretty high!!!
Posted by: Doug74

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 12:14 AM

Very, very cool....thank you for sharing tune.
Posted by: Kirko

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 03:20 AM

I get a case of goose-flesh just looking at it , Thanks for sharing !!!!!
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 07:03 AM

Mitchell,

What a significant piece of Randall History! You are having some year!!!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Raindog

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 08:31 AM

Fantastic find! Congratulations to Mitchell and a well-done to Burnie.
Posted by: TAH

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 08:54 AM

Fantastic knife and information, Mitchell. I'm still waiting to here from Captain Chris on the type of stag that was used on "Bo's 1st Knife", but the same question goes for this knife. Did Bo have access to Sambar stag in the early days or is this some type of North American stag?

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 08:57 AM

I believe my early knife was whitetail stag.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 09:03 AM

TAH,

I am unsure.... it looks like whitetail, but it is very large. I am open to interpretations.
Posted by: TAH

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 09:35 AM

Thanks Chris.

Mitchell, any idea what year Bo first had access to Sambar stag? Your late 40s Robert Green fighter is obviously Sambar, but not sure about the two from 1943.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 09:46 AM

The 48 catalog mentions imported stag handle on the model 8. The older catalogs only say "stag horn". Good question. Ron and Joe would have a better idea than me.
Posted by: Wally

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 10:10 AM

Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. To the collecting community, it's like finding Lucy, or an 1804 silver dollar, or a Walker dragoon. Tune, I thought you'd hit it out of the park with the chain link #2, turns out that was just a dribble down the first base line. Your new fighter is going to be tough to top. Will you have it on your hip, at BLADE? grin

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 10:25 AM

Wally, I am hoping to have enough information on the knife to create a worthy display in the RKCC area. Of course it will be available for show, tell and fondle!

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 10:27 AM

Woo-hoo !
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 01:10 PM

Wow!!!

That is a very cool knife.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 04:55 PM

Perfectly! Indeed treasure! smile

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 05:39 PM

Only 3 finger grooves, since the index finger has its own place...

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 06:10 PM

When you hold it as designed, it's very comfortable Wally....

It's also a large diameter handle which changed quickly when Bo changed to leather.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 06:23 PM

I bet it is comfortable, partly due to the teardrop shaped quillion.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 06:27 PM

I think in the Gaddis book it says that Bo used stag handles from other knife sets that were on the market at that time. Think he removed those handles and applied them to his work.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 06:34 PM

Given the finger grooves and size, I am not sure this was on another. If so, it was a biggin'.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 07:31 PM

So it's been just 24 hours since Tune revealed the Holy Grail with over 440 views. What a great first day MItchell.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 07:53 PM

Come on Burnie!! Where's my holy grail?!? Get back on the search!!

Awesome find Tune!! I'd keep that one if I was u!!

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 08:50 PM

Scott it just happens that I have a couple more awesome finds that I've kept for myself. I'll photo and share them later this week. Granted there not as awesome as the Zach, but there pretty cool.......
Posted by: bedink

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 09:01 PM

Mitch, Absolutely amazing!!!
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 09:19 PM

I believe I have seen these knives if I'm not mistaken Burnie? And beauties they are!

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
Given the finger grooves and size, I am not sure this was on another. If so, it was a biggin'.

I didn't make that very clear. Bo's first knives in 1937. By 42 he was supplying his own handle material. He probably had to scrounge some but he found it.
Posted by: Lofty

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/16/16 11:43 PM

Ok. I'll bite. Why would stag suddenly become something requiring scrounging? As far as I know, it was on no strategic materials list for aircraft or tank manufacture. Or even knives. Or was it?

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 06:54 AM

Mitchell, you can do an x-ray of this beautiful knife? smile

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 08:14 AM

What would an X-ray prove?

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 09:18 AM

Oh, no, just interesting to see on what length tang enters smile

This knife - a piece of history. I want to order from my friend knifemaker this design
and wherein construction maximum matches (replica, as AC Shelby Cobra and Shell Valley Classic Wheels),
that is - inverted blade, two pins, stag, but 3V steel and stainless guard.

just as there X-ray for are different blades:

But if it is difficult or bring discomfort - it is not necessary.
Then tang will be ending after 1 cm after 2 pin.

Regards,

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 10:02 AM

Mitchell,
Personally, I think we should all just enjoy these "oldies" and appreciate them..."as is". Hell man: Zack doesn't even look "sick"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 10:53 AM

I would put it in the difficult category. I appreciate your interest in the details of knife construction, but having a hidden tang difference would be inconsequential. Without the knife in hand, any maker would be making proportional estimates at best.

Here is a replica made a few years ago.....much easier.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96464
Posted by: Abby

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 02:01 PM

To see a Randall surface after almost three generations takes my breath away. After 70 years, what a joy to see this veteran Randall that served in the greatest conflict of the century. Thanks also to Tunefink for letting us in on this find. Just to read this thread adds to our knowledge of the early years. Thanks again, Abby

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/17/16 02:51 PM

Mitchell,
Thank you so much, great link! smile
Posted by: bp682

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/21/16 09:57 AM

Mitchell,

Congrats on that awesome knife, it is a fantastic piece.

Barry

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 02/21/16 10:28 AM

Thanks Barry. Long time, no see......

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/03/18 05:32 PM

Earlier in this thread, the possibility of the initials in the 2 known examples of the original existing "Zacharias" knives being "shop added features" was bought up. I guess since all of the "Zach" knives (4?) were delivered to the original purchaser, they may have been added later. While at the shop recently I noticed these initials (pictured) carved into a verrry early RMK knife that appeared to me to be a carving knife. This suggests to me that the initials did originate in the shop, and although the likelihood of any more Zach knives showing up is slim to none (we can always hope) it may be very possible that other types of Bo's original knives turn up with these initials in them, a 'first" sort of factory personalization. Although not a "new" discovery of any sort, as the one pictured here is displayed openly in the museum, I just wanted to offer up the info here, to help tie the probabilities and the knives together.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/28/18 11:23 AM

There are a lot of things that are poorly documented in Randall Knife history, but the making of the Zacharias Fighter is not one of them. Bob Gaddis covers it in his book and that knife is what put Bo and Randall Made Knives on the map. That knife was made in June of 1942.

I have never seen Lt. Zacharrias' knife, but I do have photos.

When I found my Zach style fighter, I noticed the common red initials in the butt of the stag.

Recently, Wally Mabry was at the Randall Museum and took pictures of a carving knife and the but had the same red letters in the butt.

And now we have a fourth example. The 6" fighter I bought this weekend.

I arranged photos of all four knives and took a screenshot. Top is the original Zach. Then the carver in the Randall Museum, and my two knives on the bottom.

I am not sure how long Bo installed these personalizations, but it's easy to say it was close to the summer of 1942.

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/28/18 12:39 PM

Good stuff Mitchell...and a great acquisition as well!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/28/18 05:23 PM

FMW= For Mabry, Wally.
Posted by: william768

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/28/18 06:29 PM

An incredible collection gets even more incredible . Awesome knife Tunefink , congrats.

Btw- That knife has a similar blade grind, double choil, hilt, fancy ( metal ) spacers as the "Bedink" knife which has finger grip stag handle .

I would think they were built close in same time period ?
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/28/18 08:06 PM

Mitchell
Does it seem the initials are “carved” into the handles and then the grooves
filled with a “red material/wax”?
Maybe it is my eyes!

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/28/18 08:47 PM

That is exactly what it appears Rod......
Posted by: Lori

Re: The Randall - Zacharias Fighter - 10/30/18 11:41 AM

The J appears identical to me! Which would appear to be done by the same individual, and the work done before leaving the shop.