Neale's request

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Neale's request - 10/01/15 08:22 AM

Our good buddy, from across the pond, Neale has asked me to post up this interesting pair of Randalls. Although the blades look like something that may have started in the Randall shop, the handles installed, along with the spacers, fit, finish and overall appearance certainly look suspect.
Neale thought this may make for an interesting topic. I, along with Neale, remember the TV series, "The Saint", starring Roger Moore (His "pre-Bond" days). I remember he drove the little Volvo sports car. I don't remember any throwing knives.
So: What do you all think? Let's see what the general discussion will manifest.
Best, Capt. Chris
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=46173

Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Neale's request - 10/01/15 06:46 PM

With Gary's memory for knives, I would bet that if the knives were made in the shop he would remember them.

Tom V.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Neale's request - 10/01/15 08:47 PM

I think he just picked up a Denmark Special from Scotty. Not sure if he knows how to use it.....
He'll figure it out... I'm sure!!!
Posted by: Chief

Re: Neale's request - 10/01/15 09:09 PM

The stamp looks to have fared better than anything else.
does that stamp look right for the time frame given?
Posted by: Neale_Jenkinson

Re: Neale's request - 10/02/15 05:54 AM

I spoke with jason who is going to ask Gary if he recalls anything about these throwers,it is a looooong time ago but he may remember something,watch this space.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Neale's request - 10/02/15 07:31 AM

The escutcheon plates and etching look legit.

This is really hard to determine w/o having the knives in hand and the photograph is not the best, but My initial thought is there is a good chance these are shop made.

I would not completely discount them yet. Some pretty neat stuff came out of the shop over the years.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Neale's request - 10/02/15 10:13 AM

I spoke with GTR this morning and before I even showed him the pics he remembered the knives and story. He went on to tell me about the etched TM and the who and how the names we're placed in the NP's.

100% legit...

Posted by: Fairbairn

Re: Neale's request - 10/02/15 11:44 AM

The Saint carried two throwing knives, one on his left wrist, and one on his right ankle. He gave them names: Belle and Anna. Just some arcane trivia from someone who grew up with the Leslie Charteris books, movies and TV series
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Neale's request - 10/03/15 07:55 PM

With apologies to all, I have done some major pruning to this thread. I think we are back on a very cool topic.

Please, post away!

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 01:09 AM

I have now received some better photographs and superb provenance from the owner,being technically challenged I have emailed them to Captain Chris to be added to the thread when he gets a moment.
The original purchaser was a member of the LAPD,the provenace is in the form of a letter from GTR confirming the order and discussing handle material,also the original cashed cheque,very cool package.
The owner has confirmed the knives are not for sale but asked me if an idea of value for insurance purposes would be available,anybody care to venture a price range ?
Posted by: Wally

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 01:57 AM

The official Randall authorized authenticator, and as such perhaps the best appraiser, is Crutchtip. Send him a message or post in the forum to get his attention. I can't say for sure, but since the authenticity has already been well established, there may be a small chance he would give his professional opinion without the knives in hand. (Which is typically required). A written appraisal will incur a small fee as well, I'm sure. I should say, I have zero official capacity here, these are just my guesses. Im sure everyone would like to see more detailed pics if possible. Good Luck!

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 04:39 AM

Hi Wally and thanks for your reply,I will pass Joes details onto the owner.
I have now sent the pictures to Mitchell for posting.
Let me put the question of value another way,what would collectors on this forum be willing to stump up for this pair of knives if they saw them on the open market.
There are a host of cool knives in the throwing knife section in the museum,it makes you realise that there is probably a few more 'hidden gems ' like this out there.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 09:32 AM

Posted by: spark42

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 12:14 PM

Thanks tunefink
I was wondering what the handle material was and how it had held up to being thrown. It must be a very hard material or the thrower was very good.

Dennis

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: spark42
Thanks tunefink
I was wondering what the handle material was and how it had held up to being thrown. It must be a very hard material or the thrower was very good.

Dennis
the owner has confirmed that Mr Sheridan was indeed an accomplished knife thrower,strikes me he would have got on well with Bo.
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 05:45 PM

These threads make me smile, when you see a unique Randall Made Knife(s) appear with all of the original paperwork available.

I would not have wanted to meet Mr Sheridan if I were a Bad Guy.

Tom V.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 06:21 PM

That's me Tom. I have enjoyed collecting Randall Knives so much that I also enjoy collecting everything Randall. That includes all the boxes, and written correspondence. All 36 years of it.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Neale's request - 10/04/15 08:25 PM

Gary told me that Bo and he discussed how these knives would have to be thrown with the palm, so they were thrown flat with no turning over of the knives...