Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall?

Posted by: pappy19

Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/01/15 09:51 AM

For me, I think the 5" Model 19 is the perfect "one" tool for a prepper. If you have a prepper pack, a 19 would be a great choice, IMHO.

Pap
Posted by: Aurevoir Gopher

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/01/15 10:45 AM

I'm a prepper, you're a prepper, he's a prepper, if you....

Yep, I do some bushcrafty type stuff.

Figured you would prefer Randall Made Knives in this thread, so this is my walk in the woods, light bushcraft set up. Randall 5-5 in a different sheath though.

This is my Becker BK10 Crewman (Camillus, NY made on top) and the BK10 I made out of a BK7 (Newer, Olean, NY version on bottom) Did not want to mess up the pretty coating on the Camillus made one as they are no longer made. It is in the display case.

This if for when I really plan on beating the snot out of a knife.

And this is my Camillus BK10 after I gave away the one I made and took this one out of the display case, put on Micarta handles that I cut grooves in for grip.

It has been used quite a bit. I pound on this one. It laughs.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/01/15 11:03 PM

Pappy I am with you on the model 19!
I have 3 users, used to have 4, gave my ivory user to Kent.......of course the first thing he did with it was cut himself lol.
All B.S. aside I use one all the time, have one in all my trucks.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:10 AM

I've kinda got my Fireman tagged for that duty....Really heavy duty, and compact.

:-)Rocky
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 09:52 AM

Tom,
May I ask, who made the sheath that the Model 5-5 is in? Nice !!

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 10:24 AM

Michael,
Here you go.

And a photo of the back.

Here is a close-up of the makers stamp.
This sheath is nice, but there are nicer out there for bushcraft. I stumbled upon this one in a knife deal I made with someone. It was part of the package deal. On a whim I thought I'd see if the 5-5 fit and it does like a glove. No movement. The edge is very well protected.

Valueman, I'm with you on the fireman. It's basically a crowbar with a scandi edge. Not a full scandi though. There is a secondary bevel. It took a couple hours, but I turned my Fireman into a pure scandi edge. Scary sharp. Seriously scary. Easier to maintain now.
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 01:27 PM

OK guys, I must be dumber than a box of rocks. what the heck is a Prepper ?????

max
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 02:08 PM

A folk, gettin' ready for "The Zombies"! (& I don't mean the old rockers, featuring Colin Blunstone on lead vocals)
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
A folk, gettin' ready for "The Zombies"! Best, Capt. Chris

Ok Cap, now what's a "Zombie" grin shocked

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 02:38 PM

Got it now!!!

The 60's and early 70's are still a blur. but I do remember the band.

I haven't seen any Zombie movies so not so much with that kind of thing.

max

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 02:43 PM

Well, after reading Capt's definition, I guess I'm not a prepper. Just a guy who spends time in the woods. I'll go with Woodcrafter.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 03:22 PM

A lot...and I mean a "LOT" of folks are into "preparedness" tactical gear of all sorts. The folks who promote the Blade Show have a couple of dozen "Prepper" shows per year. A lot of MRE's, survival gear and the like...as well as assault and tactical weapons, bunkers, etc., etc....
"Preppers" as in getting prepared for some sort of gloom and doom...and, yes: There is a vast sub-culture who are into the "Zombie thing". Even my dentist had me make him a Confederate Bowie...Calls it his "Zombie Killer"!
To each his own, Capt. Chris

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 03:39 PM

Hell I thought survival gear and MRE's where a way of life. It is out here where I live. One day a woman asked my wife if she likes to camp out. and she told her she camps out everyday. That was before I saved enough money to put a furnace in the house, only wood heat. good enough for me.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 03:53 PM

I hear ya' Max..."BUT"...(I know, I know) for a good portion of the urbanites: "Preppers" takes on a whole new meaning.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: rigid54

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 04:01 PM

Someone told me once; why prepare, if it gets that bad, they'll back up to Publix (?) and get what they need. shocked

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 04:02 PM

Those are great pictures.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 04:15 PM

thanks, my wife likes the one of me and #7 the mule, I am the one on the right. grin
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 06:41 PM

"Preppers", it seems like, (from what little I have read on the web) have several schools of thought: a) Some want to live for another day (with their gear) against the "Russians", the Mexicans, etc like in the "RED DAWN" movie. b) Some want to have enough gear, weapons, etc to "stay in place and fight it out with the bad guys ("Zombies"), Katrina Thugs, etc and retain their possessions, property, etc.

A few; The Bug-Out Bag" (Get out of Dodge quickly) Group, The "Get Back Home from Work if the freeways/businesses are shut down due to a disaster" Group, and the "I'm going Up North to get away from the crazy people" Group just want to avoid conflict until the disaster is over. They just want to go someplace SAFE.

When I worked in Florida at the Ford Evaluation Center (outside of Naples) I spent time traveling the roads to find potential "escape" routes if they had a massive fire (in the dry season) in the swamp area we were in. Not like you could just hike cross-country across the swamp along with your buddies: snakes, bears, bobcats, alligators, etc. Some of the places were real cul-de-sacs with only one way in or out to a given road with two or more "escape" routes. Kind of like traveling on the freeway in Detroit or LA at night time and having the freeway shutdown and the cops dumping you off the freeway in a really bad area of the city.

Most would not last out the week in a Red Dawn event.

Tom V.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:06 PM

Rigid said: "Someone told me once; why prepare, if it gets that bad, they'll back up to Publix (?) and get what they need. "
I know that guy. It was "me". Just hold a pistol to their throat and they'll help you carry the stuff out! Beats "Prepping"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:08 PM

Seriously..and back on track a bit: I would go for a 7 1/2 inch Model #18, stainless, knurled, compass and a nylon sheath with other "stuff" in the front panel's pouch, including a Swiss Army knife!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:26 PM

What Cap said plus my trusty Sebenza. (prolly strap a 28 to my leg also.) Hell, I'm too old to fight with a knife or anything else, so a Glock 19 and a Remington 870 would be in order.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:35 PM

Beautiful horses and country, Max. I like your chaps too.
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:35 PM

Almost a couple of decades ago, folks were prepping for Y2K.

Now, they're prepping for "Federales" to come to their neighborhood, and take them to those concentration camps that FEMA has hidden so well.

Seems like every couple of decades, the "Survival Merchandising" folks look for new ways to separate $$$$$ from the gullible or the tormented or the paranoia folks.

Not much has changed since Y2K.

Just sayin' my "two sense".
Posted by: Raindog

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:37 PM

The major flaw of most people that carry a GOOD bag is that they have no place to bug out to. Instead of planning to run you should be prepping your home and carrying a get-home bag. To answer the original question, a 25-5 is a do-everything knife for me.

Tom, did you have any involvement with the Harley-Davidson test riders at the FEC? I was a test rider for 16 years but never worked at Naples. I usually went to the Ford Proving Grounds in AZ when we did hot weather testing. I have over 9k miles on that track.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/02/15 08:50 PM

thanks Tom,

great country to pack in. the chaps are 3/16" thick pig hide. I raised them, killed them, ate them and had the chaps made. took two pigs to make them. need that in mesquite country. we have everything that sticks and bites.
max
Posted by: Shelley

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 04:01 AM

Well for me it's an 18 5.5, O1, knurled grip that's got duck tape, fishing line and patacord wrapping it, the stone is gone and leatherman micro with a firestarter, needle some cotton and a bit of tinder is in its place, the handle holds a compass and fish hooks, sinkers, more tinder, matches and a striker, some safety pins, and another needle, seems to do the job...
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 08:01 AM

I think Buck's "two sense" makes pretty good sense. Hell, better to build an ark, the sea level is going to rise any day now!!

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 08:55 AM

The only "prepping" I do is food prep and whittling hot dogs sticks for the kids. grin

This seems to work...

Posted by: Hemingway

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 09:36 AM

Unless you're 100% self-sufficient with food and water, you're just buying time. These suburbanite preppers may last a couple of weeks longer than someone who's got 2 days worth of food stored, but you're just delaying the inevitable.

Anyway, here's my end of the world Randall. And a couple of other things that might come in useful.

Remember, save the last bullet for yourself.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TAH
The only "prepping" I do is food prep and whittling hot dogs sticks for the kids. grin

This seems to work...

Wow, that one looks a lot like mine. Love the lines. Very nice. I may have to drill a lanyard hole.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Hemingway
Anyway, here's my end of the world Randall.

At least you will go out in style. smile

Originally Posted By: Aurevoir Gopher
Wow, that one looks a lot like mine. Love the lines. Very nice. I may have to drill a lanyard hole.

Thanks. You might consider having the shop perform that surgery. smile
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 04:15 PM

I'm not a "Prepper", mostly due to having money tied up in stuff just sitting there, but I should be one. Look at the towns hit by tornadoes/hurricanes and how long it took to get electricity and other services back up. It could be a month or more, easily.

I would choose a Model #15 "Camping" version as a do all knife for the apocalypse.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 04:33 PM

Some years ago the grid went down on the east coast and the east side of Detroit & the closest cities around it were without power for 3-4 days.

I was at work when the lights went out and was on my way on the freeway before the freeways jammed up. Every party store/supermarket was hit for Bottled water, canned goods, TP, and soft drinks. The Gas Stations had no electricity so they could not pump gas from the tanks in the ground. (If you wanted to drive 40 miles you could get gas in the outlying towns.) Most people stayed in place in their homes.

The "generator people" fired up their deals and helped keep the food from going bad with power cords to houses.

Fo me I had a above ground pool with 15,000 gallons of water that could be used for flushing toilets, 40 gallons of bottled water, and a pantry full of canned good I could cook on a barbeque grill. So the Randall knife could have been used for some food prep but I had other knives for that deal.

So where in this story does a Randall knife fit into the scheme of things in this case? Where would you use the knife in other cases?

Tom Vaught

The topic IS about preparations so I think my questions are on topic.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 08:37 PM

Well Tom......I think your prepping went in where you live.

Here when the juice goes out the wal-marts & other stores get looted until the cops come.

The "generator people" woke up to silence as there generator was stolen while they slept.

No pool problems.

You asked:
So where in this story does a Randall knife fit into the scheme of things in this case?
12-9 right next to my shotgun.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief
Well Tom......I think your prepping went in where you live.

You asked:
So where in this story does a Randall knife fit into the scheme of things in this case?
12-9 right next to my shotgun.

Sounds like, in your case, Chief you would "Fort Up" with the right "Tools of Defense" and ride it out.

Nice talking to your Chief.

Tom V.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/03/15 11:07 PM

lol Or if I had good sense I'd move huh?
The more I look at it the crazier it sounds!
Well like they say "It's all in what you are used too! But it's amazing what you can get used too!"

Pleasure talking with You also.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/04/15 09:35 AM

This just arrived in the mail last evening. My first 14. Took a couple quick pictures while the truck warmed up this morning. Got this one because it is O1 and has a unique Micarta handle. Plus, the guard is canted forward slightly and the swedge grind is shorter and more confined towards the front of the blade, making the blade thicker further out towards the tip, which translates into more weight out there.

It is so darn pretty though. But I did buy it with the intention of using the hell out of it. Yep, I'm going to chop and whop and baton and beat the dog crap out of it. I may even take some video of some of it's use.

So, maybe this will be my Zombie killin', firewood preppin', MRE openin', looter stoppin' chunk of Swedish tool steel.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/04/15 11:13 AM

That's "Jade Canvas Micarta" and, to the best of my knowledge ain't around anymore. Too bad! I love the stuff. Nice knife.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I can't locate my others but here's a couple in Dark Jade Canvas Micarta...CCS

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/04/15 12:39 PM

The jade was a great looking handle material for sure.

Tom V.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/04/15 02:03 PM

I saw this a while back...... Bambalam is in the crosshairs.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/pf/real-estate/natural-disaster-risk-map/
Posted by: Raindog

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/05/15 06:40 PM

Tune, I could have gone all day without seeing that map.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 09/05/15 08:23 PM

If we did not have 2 Nuclear Reactors (one location) 60 miles south of us we would not be on the screen except for the "Gang Bangers". We get a Tornado rarely, vs say Kansas, and our earthquakes at "Baby Quakes" vs the almost daily deals in Cali.

Tom V.

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 11/12/20 07:16 PM

Thought I would bring this back to the top, see if anyone's views have changed, plus fun to relive your views from 5 years ago
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 11/12/20 08:17 PM

interesting read....

:-)Rocky
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Any "Preppers" Out There? Which Randall? - 11/13/20 09:54 AM

Well, tunefink's map is a little outdated these days.
Shows Colorado pretty much low risk.
The dry forests, beetle kill, and high winds have increased the risk for fire to a much higher level.
We can argue all day whether it is human caused or not, but the climate changing is pretty evident here.