Randall Mini's

Posted by: GCTom41

Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 11:20 AM

I find Randall Mini's intriguing and unique representations of their full-size counterparts. Were these issued as part of Catalogue's?

There seems to be two types of Mini's; those from RMK and those issued through RKS and made by RMK.

The one's associated with RMK and are generally available are the M1, M3, M14, M25 & M27. I have seen an Astro 17 & a few Model 18's; were these issued by RMK?

The one associated with RKS is the RKS-5 Drop Point or a mini 28.

Does anyone know of others? What were the quantity manufactured of each?

Don Hedrick and some others have done custom replica's in miniature and Micro versions.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 11:43 AM

Tom I believe Gary is responsible in large part for the mini's. He made the 18 in miniature first but I don't recall the era in which he did it. From there I don't know which came next.
I am like you in that they are intriguing. Especially the older one's. Like everything else now days you have to be careful as there are fakes out there.
Posted by: jclarksnakes

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 11:55 AM

So many fakes that when I was building my collection up I really wanted a mini 1 or 3 or 25 but was too worried about getting a bogus to actually buy one.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 11:58 AM

Also IMO the market for Minis is VERY depressed because the bogus ones have so many of us worried about buying them.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jclarksnakes
So many fakes that when I was building my collection up I really wanted a mini 1 or 3 or 25 but was too worried about getting a bogus to actually buy one.

Don't hold me to this, but I seem to recollect that those 3 models had a transponder of some sort imbedded in the handle, where the shop could identify if the knife was real or not. Maybe Scott can help me out here on this?? wink

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:10 PM

I think I remember that the micro chip was only available late in the Mini 25 run which was after the Mini 1 and Mini 3 run.
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:15 PM

there are these #1,#14,#25,#3,#27 and rks.also I know of shop made mini #18's but unsure of anything else
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:47 PM

Here ya go..!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:51 PM

Guido,I love that #18.where's your 27? smile.Bob p.s In 2011 I had 1 in my hands and was for sale but was $2700

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:56 PM

Really nice mini collections there.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 12:59 PM

Nice collection Guido!
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:00 PM

The Minis #25, #1 and the #3's all had the transponder in them...

We finally dropped them when we couldn't put one in the #14, also since they are the only stamps with a "m" (for mini) it kind of made them unnecessary...

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:00 PM

Thanks Jeff,I'm cleaning mine up now after seeing Guidos
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:02 PM

The Mini #25's (at least the latest offering, i.e. the 1500) had transponders. With the advent of the second of the "newer" minis, i.e. the Model #1's. the blade stamp was very..."VERY" model specific to minis only. You will notice that the small stainless stamp denotation (The "S:) was replaced with an "M". To the best of my knowledge, there has never been an example of a fake "M" stamped mini. The transponder was dropped after the #3 mini, I believe.
Now then: "Earlier" minis? That's another story. Many...many fakes out there. Buy from a reliable, trustworthy dealer. Ask for either a COA or right of refusal, upon a return within 15 days. I would gladly agree to these terms. If a dealer would not agree? Caveat Emptor!
Gary Randall made all of minis that were displayed on the old board, behind the sales display cases, in the shop. I'm sure those minis are now in the museum. Interestingly, only the #18 mini (I think) had any type of blade stamp. I am not sure GTR made the "first" minis but he made those just mentioned at least.
I recently sold several "older" minis. One was a Mini #25, made from a Model #10-3" blade by Tom Leschorn. Two others were made much earlier and one even has a seperate "S". I got them from Perry and they have been "blessed" as authentic.
Care must be taken but authentic minis still hold good value and should be prized by their collector. The #14 minis (New addition) were produced in larger quantity (3,000) and will have lesser value than the other 4 (newer) minis. I have one being shipped back from "The James Gang" (Behring Made Knives) which I had re-handled. It was a trade to me, sold by me originally, and will only be represented as "what it is".
I promise photos of this Lil' beauty, once received. James and I are using this blade (length and shape) as the template, if you will, for a new series he is making as an exclusive to me: "Quad C-#2)..Capt. Chris' Copper Camper"!! More to come...Great topic for discussion Tom. Well done!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:04 PM

Sorry Scott:
I was "typing" while you were "posting".
Capt. Chris
PS: Here's a pic, compliments of "The James Gang"...(It's "in the wind" to me) more later...CCS
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:22 PM

I have some of all the mini's including model 18's. This model #2 was pretty rare. It's the last knife deal I made with Tom Clinton.... I sold to him his last year at Blade Show.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:28 PM

Cap't Chris,

Sweet on there!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:38 PM

Bob,

Nice set; I am still a few short, but working on it!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:42 PM

Guido,

As always a great set & presentation. The Model# 18 and the engraved # 25 are fantastic.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 01:52 PM

Mitchell,

Great mini# 2!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 02:03 PM

Wow,these were pretty dirty!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 02:06 PM

Bob,

Nice job; those cleaned-up well along with their big brothers!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 02:12 PM

Thanks,Tom.Mitchell I didn't even know there was a mini #2.at one time I was trying to collect at least 1 of everything but I realized there were many that were out of reach (because Guido has them all) smile

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 02:54 PM

I walked into the Randall shop one day in the mid 1980's. This is when Dave Griffin and Jed Peckham were on the counter. Dave says: "I put something back for you, Captain, but GTR made me take it back". I asked to see it anyway...and wished I hadn't.
A Mini #12-13" Thorpe, with blade stamp, lugged hilt, scalloped collar and rosewood handle! It's in the museum. (Then and still today!...ugh!)
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 06:06 PM

I owned a miniature Bowie that was encased in Lucite. I personally think that Bo Randall made it. I sold it to Rhett and it is pictured in Sheldon's book. It's got to be one of the first Mini's as it was sent to a Randall dealer in the 50's. It does not have a stamped logo but one was crudely inscribed. Don't remember what page number if you are interested.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 06:18 PM

Guido!!!
We should have known, that your would display a beautiful set....nothing less would be expected.
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/05/15 09:08 PM

Here are mine. I have since added the model M27 to the group. The 25 is cherished because I bought it from Perry.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 06:52 AM

Cap't Chris,

That Mini Thorpe would have been quite a catch!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 11:59 AM

Hi Bob,
Yes you'R right !!!
I will post my 2 27M and a…super-surprise !!!
Stay sharp !
Guido

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 01:13 PM

This thread has been educational and the PICs are great. Thanks.
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 01:59 PM

I have a question about the Mini's. Where did they find the mini India Stones? oldguy

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 03:39 PM

Nice set Pat.Guido,can't wait to see your surprise
Posted by: szimmerman

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 04:31 PM

Here's a Model # 25 with curb appeal, fossil ivory and Ron Skaggs engraving
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 05:43 PM

All I can say is WOW. Beautiful M25 and great sheath to go with it!!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 06:54 PM

I had this mini #18 at one point.... cool little knives! Another shot of some buds.

Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 07:45 PM

Has anyone ever actually used a "mini" for field dressing of game, like quail, etc or are minis closet queens or letter openers?

If no, then would a GTR be the closest to the mini in size?

Tom Vaught

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 07:47 PM

Pair

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 07:59 PM

@oldguy: no stone in the pocket...just a bite of sole leather !
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 08:00 PM

Guido, you have access to some very skilled people and great tastes, my friend.

Tom V.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 08:03 PM

One of mine had an India Stone that had been cut from a full size stone.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/06/15 08:04 PM

I learned a lot from Rhett...Perry...Valerie & Capt !
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 04:10 AM

Tom, I used my #27 mini, but very little, as the opener for letters. Better for a hiking went 11-3, he handle thicker,
this allows you to make more effort.
But the blade 27 I like smile
Toward the middle of the summer I will order himself another 27 mini, with copper handle #25 smile

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 06:46 AM

Mitchell,

All great, but the 2 & 18 are the best!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 06:47 AM

Guido,

Another perfect pair!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 10:27 AM

As promised…pair of M 27

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 10:32 AM

Mini…No Mini !!!
RKM mini #1 with NO "M" stamp and "nut" !!!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 10:38 AM

Than…what about Mini…minis ???

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 10:45 AM

Guido,

That #1 looks like it has slab sides (flat area); is that the case? Does it have a sheath?

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 11:00 AM

This thread just keeps getting better and better. Amazing mini knives!!!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 11:35 AM

Guido,
That Mini #1 looks legit, from what I can see in a photo,...'BUT'...( I know: That "word" again)...it is not real "early". The blade stamp is "Fl". That stamp wasn't around until the mid 1980's...
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 11:42 AM

Guido,

What are the dimensions on the Hedrick Mini; great looking especially the engraving.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 12:05 PM

Tom
That mini has pretty flat handle indeed…no rounded!
The mini-mini' blade is 4" 1/4 Full length 7" 1/4.
Model A, no pocket, plain button sheath.
Capt…correction done!
Letter by J.A.Randall
Posted by: Wally

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/07/15 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
I have some of all the mini's including model 18's. This model #2 was pretty rare. It's the last knife deal I made with Tom Clinton.... I sold to him his last year at Blade Show.

Tune, how many of the mini #2s do you think are out there?

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/08/15 08:09 AM

Cap't Chris,

Looking back through an old mini thread it was mentioned by Rick Bowles that there were first editions & second editions of Mini's made by RMK.

Rick Bowles-"You have a complete set of "second edition" miniatures except for the RKS 5 mini. You have only one first edition, the model #18. The blades only shown below will give you an idea of some of the first edition miniatures".

Interesting in that it implies that there are 12 Mini's in the first edition including a Throwing Knife, Smith, Thorpe, Toothpick, etc. Does anyone have the finished products?

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/08/15 09:17 AM

I thought this thread could not get any better several times already. Wrong again. That photo is amazing Tom.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/08/15 09:23 AM

I am not sure Wally.... but it can't be more that a dozen or so.

I traded with Perry Miller to get this one.... held it for a few years, then sold it to Tom Clinton. I assume Gary still has it. It had maroon micarta and a cover sheath that was stamped 2-8. The sheath was more rare than the knife!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/08/15 09:25 AM

Jeff,

Photo credit goes to Rick Bowles on an old Mini Thread on this Forum that I was searching. But it does sum it up!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: szimmerman

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/09/15 12:01 PM

Mitchell - Did Tom shed some light on the stamping on the sheath ? Here's one that I recently picked up stamped on the rear 2 6.

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/09/15 01:17 PM

Only to say it was no easy to find them with the sheaths.... he was pleased.

That could be a tough sheath to fill Steve!

Re: Randall Mini's - 05/10/15 06:48 AM

In Rick's first edition picture of the 12 mini's shown there was no Mini Astro 17; does anyone know if there was ever one made by RMK? Has anyone ever seen one?

Tom Flynn
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Randall Mini's - 07/03/15 06:10 PM

And...
Randall 11 Mini's

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 09:05 AM

Well I finally scored one of My Grail's; a first run Randall Survival Knife Mini Model 18 with a Mini Spear. This is an amazing early version of the mini model 18 dating to the early 1970's and includes the rarer still miniature Johnson rough back sheath. The mini spear is an 18" hollow stainless steel spear/walking stick attachment with the brass skull crusher.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 09:34 AM

Great piece Tom.... hard to find with a sheath and a spear to boot!

You know the problem with grails? Now you need a new one!
Posted by: Chief

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
Great piece Tom.... hard to find with a sheath and a spear to boot!

You know the problem with grails? Now you need a new one!

Ha! He's like you, he said "one" of his Grail items?
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 11:41 AM

Great set up Tom. Congrats!
Posted by: Tracer

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 06:32 PM

Speechless. Any idea how many of those shafts they made? And I assume you can screw the skull crusher onto the normal knife handle?

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 06:48 PM

Mark:
Floyd Byrd (a former RMK shop outside contractor) made about 10-12 mini shafts. They were made much, much later than Tom's Mini #18 was...as is evident by the knurling, verses lined brass. Floyd made about 100 of the full-sized variety.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: Sometimes the screw pieces would interchange, sometimes not...CCS

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 06:53 PM

I have the standard size staffs constructed out of stainless steel available. (not Floyd Byrd items) Here is one that I recently received back from being Cerekoted in "coyote".
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/19/16 07:11 PM

That is a kewl and unique looking package Bill! Coyote almost always looks cool ceracoated

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/20/16 08:39 AM

Bill,

Great idea with the Cerakote! Nice set-up.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/20/16 08:41 AM

Thanks for the Info. Chris. Seemed to be newer than the knife.

Everything is interchangeable and mates together with all parts. Pretty good machining.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/20/16 10:34 AM

Just a FYI.
I talked to Steve Peters about his and he said he had some made.
Steve is good about listing what he knows or doesn't know about his knives.

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/27/16 08:36 AM

Mini Trays!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/27/16 08:51 AM

I see a few empty slots Tom. Lol
Great collection.

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/27/16 08:55 AM

Warren,

A work in process! Just have to get some of you guys to shake loose some of those Mini's that haven't seen the light of day for a while!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Eric

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/27/16 09:42 AM

Tom, Great mini grouping. They are all sweet looking. I use to have more, but have sold most of mine.

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/27/16 10:10 AM

I have bought and sold dozen's of mini's, but still kept this one in the tombs. (Along with the "MINI" mini by Don)

Re: Randall Mini's - 12/27/16 10:25 AM

Bill,

That one does not get out often! Thanks, it is a beauty.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/09/17 02:32 PM

Just picked up a Mini-18 Crutchtip from Don Hedrick; he is a great craftsman.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/09/17 09:02 PM

Lots of detail Tom right down to the pinched tube. That family continues to grow.
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/09/17 10:52 PM

Tom, I really like the detail in your mini pinched tube "model 18".

This one was offered for sale by a Randall dealer on Sunday at the show for $2K.
He also had the companion two foot (?) extension shaft to make the mini a "spear". It was a "little" extra $$$.

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 08:05 AM

Buck,

I was lucky enough to pick-up the Mini Model# 18 with sheath and spear last December. They make a pretty good looking set when shown next to the full size Model# 18 & spear.

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 02:52 PM

2 grand and it has an incorrect sheath. That seems a bit high.
Posted by: william768

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie
2 grand and it has an incorrect sheath. That seems a bit high.

On page 222 of the Wickersham book the author Estimates there were 300 mini 18's made during the years. It is supposed to be the most common of all the early mini's .

Knowing this i have to agree , 2K seems too much $ . Missing the correct sheath and the size of the knife does not help.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 07:00 PM

An "estimation" based on what, or should I say who was the source for the number in that estimate?

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 09:13 PM

Many early mini #18's came without a sheath. A "cover" was provided often but no sheath. Of course, they also did not come with the spear shaft either. Having said that, the combo is fairly uncommon and worth the dough. 300 minis sounds like an awful lot. I have owned several and "estimate" is using the word pretty liberally. Joe may have some data on actual numbers but I venture to say less...way less.
Nice rig!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 09:26 PM

And so the question of just how mini of the mini's were there is still a mystery to mini of us.

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 11:04 PM

Clever Chief. Very clever.

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/10/17 11:22 PM

Only saw one Mini 18 ever and that was as the Lakeland show.

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/11/17 03:28 AM

Here's one Warren.

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/11/17 06:25 AM

Warren here are 2 with no-hone sheaths. Brass and all stainless examples. I believe only about 10 were all stainless.

I sold both n 2016, the stainless for $3500 and the Brass fetched $1800. So with a spear, $2000 is more than reasonable. IMO

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/11/17 09:53 AM

Those are pretty much dead mint. The one I saw looked used. Nice!
Posted by: william768

Re: Randall Mini's - 06/11/17 02:21 PM

When i first got interested in Randall knives ( maybe in 2007 or 2008 ) i was buying modern knives and later on some mini's. I found there would be more value in minis despite their size because of the limited production run and they were serial numbered .
I had a couple of complete sets of the modern mini's and a few extra of the #14, #1 and #3 .

During that time i was offered by about 3 different sellers/dealers a mini 18 . I am pretty sure they were all different knives . I do not remember the exact prices but i found them way too high and decided to pass. At that time i had read the info on 300 production number which helped me decide against buying them . I also read that there are many fakes of the early Randall minis .

The regular mini 25 always brought a premium back then . They would sell easily for close to 1K . The last ones i got was the mini 25 with "special handle material " .
When i first started looking for one of special handle material i knew where several were available with non-cracked handles but they wanted over 2k . I think one was 2.8k.

I bought one with cracked handle ( recently sold it on eBay ) at a steep discount and just waited for prices to drop ( economy and collectibles market were not great ) . The prices did drop and picked a non-cracked handle one for considerably under 2k .

As far as where the Author of Wickersham book came up with 300 figure for mini 18 production ? I have no clue.

I have read from different sources that there were 100 of the modern mini 25 with special handle material made.
Posted by: AR-Trvlr

Re: Randall Mini's - 04/04/18 11:09 AM

Does this one look legit? I've been offered it in trade - it looks good to me, but wanted to check...

Re: Randall Mini's - 04/04/18 11:38 AM

Sheath and knife both look right to me!

Tom Flynn

Re: Randall Mini's - 04/04/18 11:48 AM

Looks just like the one I sold last year. Attached pics for comparison. Marks on the sheath match could be my eyes. #606 was the one I sold. So I vouch for it.
Posted by: AR-Trvlr

Re: Randall Mini's - 04/04/18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Looks just like the one I sold last year. Attached pics for comparison. Marks on the sheath match could be my eyes. #606 was the one I sold. So I vouch for it.

Wow - small world! Thanks for verifying it.

Re: Randall Mini's - 04/04/18 12:12 PM

Yes it is, getting smaller every day. BTW, I did not sell the zipper case with it, so that is a nice addition. Good Luck!