oddball sheathes

Posted by: Wally

oddball sheathes - 02/13/15 09:57 AM

One of the banner advertisers here at knifetalk forums has a few model two Randalls for sale with oddball sheathes.
They are a clamshell or pancake style with a brass belt clip. Take a look at Miles Welze' vintage RMKS, neat looking sheathes. What can the experts here tell me about them? (I got no dog in the fight)
Posted by: tunefink

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/13/15 11:51 AM

Wally, I have had a few of those. I believe they were mostly 70's sheaths for 2-4 and 2-5's. The could work on a 24 as well. They would be good for boot or IWB carry.

Made by Johnson and 100% legit

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/13/15 12:50 PM

Thanks Mitchell. They look too good to pass up, even in my limited experience, they haven't been common to me. The Capn' bought something similar at BLADE last year, with ( I believe ) an unusual model 15 in it. Got any pics, Capn?
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/14/15 03:24 PM

I haven't seen sheaths exactly like those. However, on a visit to the Randall Shop (in the late 1970's, maybe?) I saw this cute little Model 2-4" in the case. When I bought it, they brought out the sheath, a boot knife sheath with a brass boot clip (or belt clip?). I kind of like the leather flaps on the sheaths Miles shows--they would protect the knife's handle, and maybe your leg, when the sheath is clipped onto a boot.

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 01:32 PM

I picked this one up a few years ago...... the blade has been blued. It's an 80's knife bases on the gray-ish center spacer.

It's the only model one I have seen with this sort of sheath.

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 01:47 PM

The snap is made onto the brass clip? Wow !

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 02:45 PM

Here is a similar 2-4 to Steve's, but with the snap on the clip as well.

Posted by: Buckspen

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 06:20 PM

Here's a view of one with the snap open.
-Buckspen

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 06:39 PM

Same knife/sheath combo! Great photos and info, that's what makes it a great forum. Thanks!

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 07:46 PM

I miss that knife.....................................................
Posted by: spark42

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/15/15 11:18 PM

How about this one.

Dennis
Posted by: Buckspen

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/16/15 10:32 AM

Seller's remorse, Tune?

- - Buckspen

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/16/15 10:39 AM

Remorse is a strong word.

But I always get a little nostalgic when I see a knife I once owned.

grin

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/17/15 11:30 AM

One of the new "high rides"? Maroon micarta too... nice!

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/17/15 02:24 PM

Wally
I was told that it was made in late 90s. Brown stitching. I couldn't resist.
Thats all I know. Any info would be appreciated.
It gave me a reason to buy the #2 5" maroon micarta to fit it.

Dennis

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/17/15 03:08 PM

Brown stitch Sullivan would be a 90's sheath. Cool design.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/17/15 03:10 PM

Dennis,

I believe in the future any custom Sullivan's sheath will steadily increase in value. Granted there are uprobably more custom Sullivan's out there than Johnson's, but look what a custom Johnson will bring in todays market. That is, if you can even find one. And a custom Heiser, eek

Tha's a nice sheath and it made for a very nice package.

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/17/15 05:23 PM

"Tampa" instead of "Odessa" stamp. Staring me straight in the face.

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/22/15 02:42 AM

grin

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/22/15 09:17 AM

Ok, here's the one I bought from MilesW. You gotta admit he takes great pics. Me, not so much. But I didn't want to swipe his images. There's some props in this shot not related to the Randall content. I've noticed sometimes there's some question on this forum about the reality of persons claims to military service. I added these props because of that. In the future, I'll make no attempt to satisfy members questions or doubts about my service. I never claimed to be any sort of hero, and I only deployed for 1 year. Not SF, not AB, not a Ranger, Seal, Spook, OGA, nothing but cannon fodder. But... I ain't no pogue, I ran missions with my men, when they began to keep close count of our statistics about 3 quarters of the way through our tour, official records indicate that at that time I had personally logged over 26,000 miles going to 18 different Forward operating bases in Iraq. When this history was written, I'd been engaged and responded to small arms fire 3 times. (documented in records that I possess). The point, I guess is, I love RMKS, but I won't entertain anymore questions about my time in the military. I'd rather focus on RMKS. And this 2-5 with its sheath is a beauty to me. I hope yall like it as much as I do.
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/22/15 09:35 AM

Wally, thank you for your service. Great Randall. Can you tell me what the badge is with bayonet on it? I don't think I've seen one like that. Thanks.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/22/15 09:53 AM

Wally,
Nice setup! I would never question your service..."sanity"? Yes...Service? Never! Great rig and collateral equipment. I love photos such as this. Creative and informative, it is "all" (in my opinion) Randall related.
By the way, I am not ignoring your post about the very "special" sheath (along with the rare knife within) that I aquired at the Blade show. I have to interview the original owner and put the article together for the "Knife Knews" before I post any images on the forum. I picked up another historically significant, super-rare Randall knife & sheath combination at the Gator show this year! I am working on that story as well.
Anyway: Long-winded, but thanks for what you do, what you did and your great choices in knives...and wives!
All the best, Capt. Chris

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/22/15 10:24 AM

The badge is a US Army "Combat action badge" It basically symbolizes that the wearer has been under enemy fire, not as an infantryman. Created in 2005, as an answer to so many calls for a combat artillery badge, combat armor badge, etc...

I don't mean to sound bitter or resentful in my rant about the military. It's been 10 years and already memories fade. I guess it's just something I'm trying to put behind me. Sorry if it offends anyone.

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/22/15 10:51 PM

Michael, Tunafink.
Thanks for the info. I'm not knowledgeable enough to buy for investment yet. I just buy what a like a tell my wife that its a good investment.
Wally.
Great photo of a great knife/sheath combo. Thanks for starting this topic.

Dennis

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/23/15 08:52 AM

Knifanut. Alright! I don't wanna laugh too much Mitchell, as I recall, you're bigger than me. :^)

Re: oddball sheathes - 02/23/15 09:25 AM

Knifanut may be more accurate.....!!!

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 07:34 AM

Came across this combo sheath on Gary Clinton's table at the Blade show. Hatchet and Model 20.

Picked it up just because I thought it was cool RMK leather:
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 09:26 AM

Mike,

I think Gary had an oddball on his table that Tom picked up last year.
So I'm looking at your photo and wondering about the keeper strap on the right side. Looks like a Mudbone to me?
Posted by: freeman1901

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 09:43 AM

I found these pictures that look like a Johnson sheath that I've not seen with a flap. The knife is kind of odd too. Do you think they are legit?

Posted by: Eric

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 09:56 AM

Johnson sheath with a Ruana type flap. The 10-3 is just as cool. Nice rig. I am not an expert, but I like it.

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 10:54 AM

Looks like an early #10-4" to me or perhaps a cut down #10-5". What is the handle length (which looks short) and the blade length?
Leather looks AOK to me.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Mike,
So I'm looking at your photo and wondering about the keeper strap on the right side. Looks like a Mudbone to me?

You're picking the picture apart to critically WP, look at the RANDALL stuff grin
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 12:10 PM

laugh laugh laugh

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Looks like an early #10-4" to me or perhaps a cut down #10-5". What is the handle length (which looks short) and the blade length?
Leather looks AOK to me.
Best, Capt. Chris

I'm not sure of the blade length, but here are a couple more pictures that I found.

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 12:59 PM

Nice piece! Interesting. Look at it this way: You always have trading material for The Captain!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
FIY ( & everyone else): The shop made 3 1/2" Model #10's and "all" were straight points as is this one. They are scarce. I have owned "3" of them but now I'm down to "2"! (sigh): Guess which "Italian" talked me out of one!!
CCS

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/22/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Nice piece! Interesting. Look at it this way: You always have trading material for The Captain!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
FIY ( & everyone else): The shop made 3 1/2" Model #10's and "all" were straight points as is this one. They are scarce. I have owned "3" of them but now I'm down to "2"! (sigh): Guess which "Italian" talked me out of one!!
CCS

Wish it was mine :-) I just found pictures of it. I enjoy cruising the internet looking for unusual Randalls.
How about the flap sheath, were they fairly rare to?
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/23/18 02:59 AM

There is no dent for finger on handle.
Something very unusual.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/23/18 08:54 AM

It's a different knife than a 10-3.

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/23/18 12:10 PM

The lack of the finger grip (single finger grip) & flap sheath are scarce but not extremely rare>
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Stikman

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/25/18 12:39 PM

Hey Mike I'm pretty sure that hatchet , model 20, sheath is one that my Dad , Greg , made.

Re: oddball sheathes - 06/25/18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Stikman
Hey Mike I'm pretty sure that hatchet , model 20, sheath is one that my Dad , Greg , made.

Thank You Danny, appreciate the input !!