Knife Storage

Posted by: Buckspen

Knife Storage - 05/16/14 10:35 AM

Late last year I commented on a thread about knife storage that I was in need of a high capacity knife storage system. Thanks to suggestions from several members (Tunefink in particular), I now have what I needed.
I bought a new, larger gun safe and moved things around so that I could empty an older Browning safe. I employed a shooting buddy who is a master carpenter to install a set of slide out shelves in the safe. There are 17 shelves, each 20 by 20 inches mounted on roll-out steel glides. The shelves and supporting material are 3/4 inch birch plywood. The surrounding material is poplar. The front of each shelf has a piece of wood molding across the front. All the wood is sealed with Minwax water based Polycrylic protective finish. (This stuff, by the way, is great. It goes on easy, has virtually no odor and cleans up nicely with water.)
I've been leaving the safe door open on the empty safe for the last several days to let the finish and glue fully cure, but I took a few photos to show how it looks. I'm going to be able to store a lot of knifes in this thing!
- - - -Buckspen
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 10:39 AM

Nice idea. I would need a couple more safes. Three 42 gun safes are already full.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 12:26 PM

Neat and compact way to store and actually view your knives.

And they are as secure as the safe is thief-resistant.

Do your shelves have a lip on the front and/or rear edge? Thinking it might help to keep the knives from sliding off when the shelves are pulled out or pushed back in--depending on how much force is used. (Klutzes like me would need it!)

Larry

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 12:40 PM

Larry - The shelves do not have a lip at front or back. They slide nice and easy so I didn't think I would need to worry about anything slipping off.
The safe is heavy duty with thick walls and door (weighs about 1000#) and is bolted to the concrete floor with steel anchors. It was a top of the line Browning safe when I bought it about 25 years ago. This is going to be fun!

- - Buckspen
Posted by: Skeetdoc

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 12:48 PM

Gonna use a Golden Rod dehumidifier?

Very nice!!!

Doug
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 01:12 PM

Great job Bruce…..it turned out great!
Posted by: John Hightower

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 02:05 PM

That looks great.
Posted by: Jay G

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 02:15 PM

That looks awesome... perfect storage idea (and nice knives)!
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 05:16 PM

Great idea. Its a reminder that I need to something better.
Your friend did a great job. Great photos too
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife Storage - 05/16/14 09:42 PM

Ahhhh. That is a perfect set up in my book. Thanks for the Show N Tell!
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 12:44 AM

Well done Buckspen...really nice and easy to...handle it.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 08:56 AM

What CrazyCajun said!!. Nice craftsmanship.
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Guido_Bitossi
Well done Buckspen...really nice and easy to...handle it.

Agree, A very nice example of "SAFE" Knife Storage (;>)

TV
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 03:04 PM

Great idea and good use of space. Looks like excellent workmanship.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 07:08 PM

Thanks, gents. I thought it turned out very well. Tunefink provided the design and my carpenter friend did the vast majority of the work and he did an excellent job. I am quite happy with it.

I did put a Golden Rod heater/dehumidifier in the safe. I'm not sure how much actual circulation I'll get with all the shelves, but I have a pretty dry basement and don't have any rust problems with all my tools and machinery, so it should be okay.

Now I just need to buy a few more knives at BLADE to help fill it up!

- - - Buckspen
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 07:17 PM

Buckspen drill holes in the shelves with a 1/4" drill and that will help with circulation. Also I would not store the sheaths in the vault with the knives. Build a peg-board rack and hang the sheaths in your gun room in the open air.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 08:36 PM

The sheathes will be fine in the safe Bruce. I have stored mine for years. No issues and no mix up on the sheathes. I also like to look at them together.

I do no use a golden rod since I have ivory knives in the safe but I would bet the slow convection would move air through the whole safe.

Keep an eye on the wood finish to make sure it does not discolor the back of the sheath. My shelves are lined with vinyl material. Just a thought.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 08:58 PM

Do your own research Buckspen. Leather needs to breath. If you store them in a container make sure the container can "breath." I learned this lesson the hard way......Mitch's way.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Storage - 05/17/14 09:04 PM

Bruce,
I don't use de-humidifiers on my Randalls...and I live in humidity heaven! I'm a firm believer in keeping your Randalls like fine cigars. 70-80% humidity and a temperate climate work well. As I posted a few years back, I have had exotic handles crack...vividly, due to too cold of a temperature. I have also had Colt single action ivory grips "check-up" when there was not an abundance of humidity. Please enjoy your Randall knives...but with "care".
I've seen Mitchell's set up and it is similar to mine. They just plain "work".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 01:05 AM

Quote:
Do your own research Buckspen. Leather needs to breath. If you store them in a container make sure the container can "breath." I learned this lesson the hard way...…Mitch's way.

I am not sure what you are trying to say Ronnie. What happened to your sheathes by storing them in a gun safe?
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 02:31 AM

O. K. Time for show and tell without the show ( no pics available). I think that this design is super nice. I love being creative, figuring out what one needs and building it. Saving some bucks and recycling really doesn't bother me either. I have 2 gun and 1 knife safe and the interior of the knife safe is very similar with a few variations......like it's all on casters and I can roll the interior shelving out easily (love casters!). The main difference is that all 3 are all non-working, lockable, motors removed upright freezers. They sit between two working, no lock, full chest freezers. Nobody, friends, neighbors or anyone has ever suspected as I've shared venison, berries or whatever from the chest freezers the true secret of my uprights. Now......secrets out.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 04:03 AM

Mold....
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 04:15 AM

I use to put a glass of water in my knife storage....incredible how fast water evaporates....
About making holes in your safe....just few in the lower part and just few on the top...this it will be enough toallow air circulate inside the safe....
Now...just fill it up....!
See you at Blade...
See you soon
Guido
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 07:08 AM

Beautiful safe!
I have a question smile
When stored for long sheath, the skin dries up and becomes rigid.
Have some means to restore the skin to a new state?
And for better sheath stored should lubricate them with something?

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Mold....

Ronnie,
Seven years, considerable # of weapons & knives beg to differ. Momma didn't raise no dummy & I don't take chances with my Grandpa's nor my Dad's weapons entrusted to me. Also lost my need to convince others of anything a long time ago.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 01:35 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. My basement is pretty dry and I've never had any problems with mold on any of my leather goods or rust on guns stored there. I have a relative humidity gauge and it indicates around 50% year round. In southern Ohio, we get some severe humidity in the summer, but our air conditioning system is pretty efficient. I've have leather in the safes for years and never experienced any bad effects.
I did have a couple of Randalls with ivory handles. One was a 27 which had a very fine hairline crack in the handle when I bought it. We had some very cold and dry weather last winter and the handle on that knife cracked quite badly. The other knife was a model 26 with no butt cap and it was not affected. However, I was so upset with the cracked #27 that I sold both knives and will probably never own another ivory handled knife.
I've had several handguns with ivory grips and several sets of unfitted grips around for years and never experienced any problem with them.
I am a little concerned about placing the sheaths and knives on the bare shelves. I like the light colored wood because it brightens up the inside of the safe and don't want to cover it with any dark material.
What do you think about applying a good coat of paste wax to the shelves?

- - Buckspen

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 03:22 PM

Here is a shot of one of my shelves…… lined with gray "pleather". I have had no issues with any interaction with the sheathes or knives. Sorry for the iPhone pic….sort of blurry.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 03:45 PM

Buckspen,
I, like you, have a very dry " mans' basement"; helped(physically) my contractor build my house in 1989 and not huge, expansive house but all the "extras" to not have problems, leaks, make use of the environment....we did,
and have never had any moisture problems. I still used the electric cord hole where the motor would have been to add dehu. rods, lighting, removed gaskets, etc. etc. NEVER ANY PROBLEM on any sheaths( all stored there), leather rifle slings(WWI&II) and laterAND my only ivory grips are beautiful (to me) on my Colt. I do like and use Ren. wax on whatever I want BUT not everything as I like to fondle my knives whenever possible.
Best to you.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Duke
Mold....

Ronnie,
Seven years, considerable # of weapons & knives beg to differ. Momma didn't raise no dummy & I don't take chances with my Grandpa's nor my Dad's weapons entrusted to me. Also lost my need to convince others of anything a long time ago.

Congratulations Duke. I'll rest easy tonight knowing your knives and sheaths have survived 7 years with no ill effects.
I have no desire to convince anyone of anything. I simply suggested not storing leather in an enclosed container. This is a forum where ideas and thoughts come together for all of us to learn.You have the tools in your hand to research the effects of long term storage of leather in enclosed containers. Momma didn't raise "no" dummy....apparently she didn't raise a rocket scientist either.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 04:53 PM

Ronnie,
Think I'll end this one on my own for me....don't need a moderator. Have a good Sunday evening.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 05:07 PM

Thanks you too.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/18/14 10:43 PM

Nice Sheaths Tune.

You collect a lot of SOG type stuff?

Think Tom C was in collecting that stuff for a while also.

TV

PS Thanks for the great ideas on knife storage. Buckspen and Tune.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/19/14 07:04 AM

Tom, Those were carved by my Buddy Roger "Mudbone" Jones for a couple of Behring Made fighters. I don't have a specific collection of SOG items….these just caught my eye.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife Storage - 05/19/14 06:11 PM

I like the perfectly simple way it was done; functions well and presentation is great.

Enjoy it & now you get to fill it!

Happy Day!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 01:54 PM

Yesterday I received a PM from a new member of the Forum who apparently joined just so he could send me a message and chew my butt out. He was concerned about my comments to Duke. He said they were, among other things, condescending and rude. Well they were meant to be. I didn't like Duke's comment about "not needing to convince anyone of anything". I thought it was totally unnecessary. This is a forum and I offered information that I had experienced on a personal basis that I thought would be beneficial to Buckspen. Certainly wasn't looking for a fight or an argument. Reply's to my comment immediately pushed what I said under the table. Clearly those comments said, "don't listen to this guy, what he says doesn't matter here." At least that's the way I perceived those comments. And that's a good Segway into this comment which is....I'm a member of this club, I'm just not a member of the click. There are others out there who feel the same as I do. Now all of that said, regardless of whether it's right or not, and I believe I'm right, saying it here in an open forum was wrong.....clearly wrong. Whoever sent me the private message was right! I read his comments and felt about two inches tall. He may never know it but I'm grateful for the ass chewing.....hope I can learn from it! So that said I want to apologize to Duke and ask his forgiveness and I want to apologize to all the RKCC members and Forum members who were offended by what I said.
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 02:36 PM

no big deal to me,kumbaya'll
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 04:07 PM

Yesterday I received a PM from a new member of the Forum who apparently joined just so he could send me a message ……..Whoever sent me the private message ………..

that is the main problem that keeps this forum from becoming the premier forum of its type on the net - anonymity.

At a minimum, the owner and/or mods should know who is and how to contact a member.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 05:26 PM

Well if he checks back in and reads this he will know that I actually appreciated what he said.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 06:02 PM

Hey Ronnie, like Bob said, "kumbaya'll"; sorry that anything that I said would have left you feeling like you wanted to be condescending & rude or even have a need to apologize or ask forgiveness now. My own statement of " not having a need to convince anyone of anything" has ONLY to do with not wanting to argue over the internet (respectful, healthy discussions just work better for me face-to-face) and I honestly have no great love for the computer. In my work, it's like another tool/a hammer to me and this Knife Forum is about the only thing I do on it for fun. Agree with Crutch about being willing to sign what you say; have no idea about clicks, etc., but I'm sure I'm not a member. Anyhow I really don't follow your "don't listen to this guy" stuff. I sure wasn't saying that & I guess my main thing is life's too short in my world to waste any of it in silly arguments/fusses & just won't do it. Welcome here & enjoy the Forum.
Posted by: boardrider

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 09:10 PM

Tunefink, I like Mudbone sheaths too, plus he's a good guy although a little on the quiet side , he made one for me called "The Ugly" ...you can imagine.. yours are great and go well with your fighters. I really like your storage setup, what would it take to see a few more shelves?

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 10:22 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yea…….. Mudbone is SOOOOOOOOO understated!

Mudman is an original! You get what you see…..

Seeing Mud is one of the best reasons for going to Blade! Not counting having the opportunity to razz Joe "Cruthchtip" "Eddie" Dorsky. He is such a teddybear…….
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife Storage - 05/21/14 11:10 PM

Wow.....a new nickname for Ronnie....Humbleman. We can all use a little taste of this once in a while... whistle

And I so agree! Seeing and listening to Mudbones stories is almost worth the admission price to the show!
Posted by: KJT

Re: Knife Storage - 05/22/14 09:29 AM

Hi Ronnie and Crutchtip,

Actually, I have been a member since 2010 and am a "lurker". I don't know much about knives and just like to read and learn. Ronnie, I did appreciate your comments on knife storage, but just weighed them equally with Duke's. I am sorry if my PM to you seemed anonymous, but I thought you could contact me back
if you desired. I just enjoy a civilized discussion! Thanks to both you and Duke for your opinions....

Ken

Re: Knife Storage - 05/23/14 09:05 PM

Thanks for the Post Ken!

Tom V.
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Storage - 05/24/14 02:17 PM

As my collection grew, my wife insisted it go in the safe.
This was my solution a few years ago.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/24/14 02:51 PM

THAT is Sweet, David.

Eyeball count of drawers (About 20), times 12 knifes in a drawer for half of the storage: 10 drawers= 120 knives and 6 big knives times 10 drawers = 60 knives so 180 Randalls.

That would fit my needs EASILY (;>)

Tom V.
Posted by: olpanrider

Re: Knife Storage - 05/24/14 11:19 PM

Would you mind sharing your source for the drawer set up?
Looks similar to the Bisley Mfg. Products..........Thanks
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 08:15 AM

Tom
I did started doing the math too. You beat me to it.

Divid
Very nice setup.
You have a very smart and understanding wife as well.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 09:34 AM

Very nifty!

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 10:31 AM

I like that! Easy to label the drawers, too.

- - - -Buckspen

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 11:04 AM

I designed and made it to fit in my Champion Safe Triumph Series.
There are 21 Drawers - 19 1/8" by 20 5/8" inner dimensions with 100 lb rated roller slides - Thought if I had to store something else (I also collect C&R firearms and coins), I should go for the maximum weight capability.
I first lined it with a non-skid fabric that was guaranteed to be neutral to steel. Well, I started getting a little marking, so my wife got some felt and lined the drawers with felt. No marking or staining now. I found the metal label holders and drawer pulls at Lowe's. Quick and Easy to change labels as the collection changes.
A couple of more pictures of the parts and storage of some of my Randall 11 collection.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 11:17 AM

Here are a couple of pictures of the materials, drawer assembly, painting, glue drying, and checking the fit to the safe.
It was a fun project during a couple of winter months in 2008.
Posted by: olpanrider

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 11:28 AM

Thanks for the pics. That's a lot of work. You must have a nice shop. Well done!

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 11:59 AM

Thank you for the compliment.
I don't have anything fancy for a shop - a DeWalt Contractor's saw, a Sears Benchtop Router Table with an old old Sears fixed speed Router, Some plastic Home Depot sawhorses that I can throw some plywood on and make a work bench, a power sander, and some shop vacs. I used an old picnic table plastic cover to keep any glue spill-out off the plywood work bench. I made a prototype drawer using plywood and then MDF for the other drawers so that there wouldn't be any shrinkage or expansion.
I got the inspiration from Tom Clinton talking about storing his Randalls in the drawers made for Architectural Drawings and Blueprints. I couldn't find any that would fit in a safe.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 01:45 PM

David,
...and I thought "I" had OCD! Man-o-man. A new level, my friend..."BUT"...(I know...That word again)...One helluva' job! Extremely well done...REALLY! We have to "talk" at the Blade show.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 02:25 PM

Very nice! how do I place my order? Bob

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 03:48 PM

Damn Loomis…. very well done!
Posted by: dhawki2

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 04:31 PM

My thought about fire protection inside the normal Gun Safe.
A good friend of mine had 3 large safes and I am attaching what the contents looked like after he lost his home from a Fire.
There were 225 homes lost in a large wild fire in the Texas Phandle
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife Storage - 05/25/14 04:54 PM

David that is great job. You guys have some sweet set-ups. I need to sell all my 20 to 40 dollar knife cases and build me one of these.

Re: Knife Storage - 05/26/14 09:48 AM

Excellent design and work, David. That's a really classy set up. I looked into blueprint/map file storage, but like you, couldn't find anything suitable.

- - -Buckspen

Re: Knife Storage - 05/26/14 10:04 AM

Really, really well thought out and executed project. I have just got to catch up on ALL the other projects first in line! Really well-done!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 08:08 AM

Resurrecting a great thread.

I just finished a few more display cabinets for some knives. Another 'Faisal Set' cabinet along with the BMK Scimitar and Mudbone Jones Sheath cabinet, an RKS display cabinet (still have to fill it missing the two RKS# 4's) along with space for memorabilia and an African Big 5 cabinet. All in walnut with black velvet. I slotted some stainless steel and made vertical knife racks for the Big 5 and RKS; different look.

Sorry for the bad pic's/reflections. Better woodworker than a photographer.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 08:42 AM

Classy setup, very nice.

Pap
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 09:21 AM

Beautiful Work Tom!

Tony
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 11:22 AM

Great work Tom.
Posted by: cliff14094

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 12:13 PM

Really nice cabinets Tom! Outstanding craftsmanship.

Cliff Lacey
RKCC CM26
RKS 23
NRA Patron

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 02:47 PM

WOW, Tom. Outstanding work.

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 03:16 PM

Thanks guys! It was a fun couple of projects.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 04:25 PM

Tom
super nice cabinets, you forgot to tell us how to order them smile

Peter
Posted by: smcbrearty

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 04:41 PM

What a great way to display some beautiful knives.

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 04:58 PM

Tom
If you are not a cabinet maker by trade, you could sure be one. Your work is superb. Knives aren't bad either!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 05:08 PM

Rod,

Woodworker for 44 years; way too long in the office, but still have some skills. Tools are rusty now.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 06:20 PM

Tom,

Keep those knives shiny. As always fantastic workmanship.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 08:43 PM

Unfair!!!!! Your picture posting privileges are hereby revoked!
I want your cabinets, I like a lot of your guns & I lust after your knives!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 08:51 PM

Great cases and craft Tom..... and the knives don't suck. Looking good!
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife Storage - 12/19/17 10:53 PM

Very impressive!!!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 05:37 PM

A very BIG THANK YOU to Tom Flynn. Tom was kind enough to make an additional case for my rehandled Narwhal Faisal set. Just got home and couldn't wait to see these in the case. Workmanship is exceptional Tom really nothing left out. Right now they're sitting on the LR floor in front of the TV. Guess I won't be paying much attention to what's on tonight.
Miss Deb loves it too and a big smile. Thank you once again Tom and Merry Christmas.
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 06:36 PM

Outstanding!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 06:39 PM

Awesome job great looking display!
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 07:08 PM

Fine cases and fine knives guys - they compliment each other well.
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 07:15 PM

Fantastic.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 10:23 PM

Wow!!!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/21/17 10:32 PM

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 06:46 AM

Warren,

All the best to you and Miss Deb for a Merry Christmas and a Healthy & Happy New Year!

That is one fine Faisal Set; they fit well. Now go hang it on the wall.

Didn't have time for pic's yet but the James Behring Treeman Marbles No. 9 hatchet went right into the display cabinet. That is one special and unique hatchet. Great trade and great meet with Warren.

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 07:06 AM

Many thanks again Tom. I've got the perfect spot picked out in the cave. Lights are something I'm looking at. Perhaps battery LED a with remote. Glad to hear the No9 fits in your case. Definitely a one of a kind.

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 07:19 AM

Now your talking; I like remotes! A lot less stumbling after I have a Hendricks or two.

Thanks again.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 07:31 AM

Tom, I like Tanqueray 10 bug spray chilled straight up, it makes me wix my mords but it never makes me stumble. It also can make it hard to find any kind of remote, even if its still in your hand.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 07:32 AM

2 GREAT guys!! Well done both of you 8-) The knives are awesome and the displays DEFINITELY compliment them. I am happy that all worked out for you 2.

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 07:42 AM

Thanks James.
-----------------------------
Eric,

Funny stuff. now if you only get a remote refill for another round. crazy
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 08:00 AM

Warren, beautiful Knives and those display cabinets could fetch major sale volume if sold to the masses. My wife already has the refill duty. I do everything around the house she wants done during daylight hours. She does everything around the house I need done once the Sun goes down. It is one of the plusses of winter. I keep the bottle in the freezer so she isn’t working to hard refilling or stirring. I have a picture of Mr. Vermouth I look at while I sip.

P.S. My wife coined it bug spray, I call it the elixir of the Gods!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 08:07 AM

James,

Warren extended your Christmas regards; thanks to you and Becky, hope you both have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year with all of your loved ones.

See you at Blade!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 08:09 AM

Eric,

That is too funny. I have been known to misplace a remote or two.

Stay warm and enjoy Christmas with the family!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 05:03 PM

Merry Christmas men!

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 05:32 PM

You too Bill, Merry Christmas.

Re: Knife Storage - 12/22/17 11:21 PM

Yes Merry Christmas to all of you!
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Storage - 01/18/18 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: GCTom41
Resurrecting a great thread.

I just finished a few more display cabinets for some knives. Another 'Faisal Set' cabinet along with the BMK Scimitar and Mudbone Jones Sheath cabinet, an RKS display cabinet (still have to fill it missing the two RKS# 4's) along with space for memorabilia and an African Big 5 cabinet. All in walnut with black velvet. I slotted some stainless steel and made vertical knife racks for the Big 5 and RKS; different look.

Sorry for the bad pic's/reflections. Better woodworker than a photographer.

Tom Flynn

The last shot with the shelf that has slots... What material did you use for the shelf?

I'm debating between something clear like acrylic or going metal (easier to work) like thin steel.

Also, how did you attach the shelf?

Thanks.

Re: Knife Storage - 01/18/18 02:30 PM

Rob,

Slotted stainless steel angle; 1/8" horizontal slot through the back of the cabinet and the upturned angle gets screwed from the backside to the cabinet back.

PM your e-mail and I can send you the pdf sketch.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Storage - 01/22/18 10:02 PM

Somewhat close to this thread, my Bowie customer, with 75 of them and counting, wanted me to ask if anyone had prefabbed sleeves made to protect the knife blade in storage.

I'm guessing plastic or nylon (or tag board) sleeves.

Just curious, wasn't thinking about a new thread, pardon the "hijack". grin
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Storage - 01/23/18 12:11 PM

I'd think if you were going to do that, make them out of poster board. Preferably the "non-acidic" kind if you can identify such.

Cut into strips, fold over, tape.

The problem with plastic-like materials is that they won't wick away any errant moisture that may possibly appear due to temperature fluctuations. Even worse, they will pin it directly on the blade at the point of contact.

Sure, climate controlled environment and all that, I know. I also understand that they still break down now-and-again. smile

Re: Knife Storage - 01/23/18 08:10 PM

Yes Bore stores

Re: Knife Storage - 01/23/18 08:28 PM

Yes, great product and highly recommend Chief.

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 08:33 AM

Finished a few more display cab's; running out of room. These took much longer than I ever thought!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 08:36 AM

Outstanding Tom.

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 08:44 AM

Looking great Tom. Yeah you need a bigger cave, LOL.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 09:32 AM

All very nice but I particularly like those cut-out displays. Super craftsmanship Tom.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 12:05 PM

Excellent!
Walker
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 02:22 PM

WOW!

Outstanding work Tom!

Tony

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 02:47 PM

Tom

Your collection is superb, just like your workmanship.

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 04:09 PM

Wow very nice! Love the Ruanas.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 04:43 PM

Nicely done - cutouts look great.
Posted by: needfull things

Re: Knife Storage - 11/02/18 08:39 PM

That is a great way to securely display Your Collection.
Easily viewed and the Cases really compliment the Knives.

The low gloss finish takes nothing away from the Knives.
Great Craftsmanship.