Model 24 Guardian, Prototype?

Posted by: Buckspen

Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 01:29 PM

I bought one knife in the most recent Amoskeag auction. It was described as a prototype Model 24 Guardian. Here are a couple of photos of the knife. I was quite pleased to get this knife because I believe it is the same one shown on page 36 of Rhett Shidham's "green" catalog. The knife is in the lower right hand corner of the page (scan attached). There are a couple of marks on the sheath that show up faintly in the photo in the catalog. And best of all, it's great condition. The sheath is beginning to show its age a little, but the knife is close to perfect.
- - Buckspen
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 01:42 PM

That's a neat looking grind!
Posted by: Steven

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 02:43 PM

Very slick looking 24. nice catch.
Posted by: wheezer

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 03:47 PM

I want it!
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 04:24 PM

That is a nice catch
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 05:13 PM

Good get Mr. Yellow ( Reservoir Dogs reference) .. It's an early one for sure.
Posted by: rigid54

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/14/14 08:12 PM

Not a prototype & not early -as evidenced by the fl. stamp and late model sheath. A very nice (and rare) one-off though. Congratulations on a nice piece.

That catalog is known to have numerous errors and snake oil sprinkled about -beware!
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/15/14 11:15 AM

This knife would be a great candidate for authentication. It is a decade (or better) too new to be considered any type of Guardian protoype..."BUT"...(There's that word again)...not too new to be a "Small Gambler" protoype. Look at the forging. Interesting grind? Rigid is correct in the fact that a good many of Rhett's catalog knives were not kosher. Perry Miller could get with Gary Randall and determine exactly what you have.
It was not uncommon during this period for the shop to try new things and Jack Crider received some of these knives. Only way to tell for sure is with a proper authentication. Thanks for sharing the photos and good luck with it, whatever you decide.
Capt. Chris
Posted by: rigid54

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/15/14 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
This knife would be a great candidate for authentication. It is a decade (or better) too new to be considered any type of Guardian protoype..."BUT"...(There's that word again)...not too new to be a "Small Gambler" protoype. Look at the forging. Interesting grind? Rigid is correct in the fact that a good many of Rhett's catalog knives were not kosher. Perry Miller could get with Gary Randall and determine exactly what you have.
It was not uncommon during this period for the shop to try new things and Jack Crider received some of these knives. Only way to tell for sure is with a proper authentication. Thanks for sharing the photos and good luck with it, whatever you decide.
Capt. Chris

Good eye Capt. -then again, you always could take the top off a bottle @ 400, lickety-split.

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/16/14 01:41 PM

Thanks, Cap. I think I would like to have this knife authenticated. What is the process for that? Where do I send it and what will it cost?

- - Buckspen

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 02/16/14 03:48 PM

The cost runs $100 and includes a certificate of authentication, provided by Perry Miller. Your knife will actually be photographed and appear on the certificate. The RKCC handles many of these authentications. It is a customer service of the club and all you pay is shipping and insurance both ways. You can send the knife to:
RKCC / Attention Capt. Chris Stanaback
11100 SW 93rd Court Road
Suite #10-357
Ocala, Fl. 34481
I will let you know when the knife is finished. You can include a check or money order for the $100 fee. If you wish, you can also add the shipping & insurance as you will know how much it costs to re-send it back to you in the same manner in which you sent it to the club. Hope this helps. Any questions or concerns, call:
(352) 598-1880 or email the club: RKCCLUB@aol.com

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 05/05/14 12:46 PM

So I sent the knife off to Capt. Chris at the RKCC on 2/20/14. I got it back on 4/23/14 with the authentication certificate. The certificate says the knife was made in the mid-1980's. Under comments is stated the following: "This is a very unique boot knife made by Randall. It resembles a Gambler. I suspect it was made for a particular several years. It is both nice and very rare. Knife and sheath are 100% authentic."
To say that I am pleased would be an understatement! I was pretty sure it was the real thing, but to have it confirmed by Perry Miller is really great.
Thanks to Capt. Chris and the RKCC for facilitating the authentication process.

- - - - Buckspen
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 05/05/14 03:51 PM

Awesome all the way around!

Re: Model 24 Guardian, Prototype? - 05/05/14 08:53 PM

Glad to help Bruce.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris