James Behring Knives Nifeboy.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25254 - 09/15/07 10:21 PM 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
Here's something a bit different for a Backpocket. Let's see who can figure it out first.

Blades and springs are 440V. I believe this is Wilfred Works dyed and jigged bone. Now...what's different?

http://boseknives.com/images/tbosebrnbonebpf2.jpg
http://boseknives.com/images/tbosebrnbonebpf3.jpg
http://boseknives.com/images/tbosebrnbonebpf4.jpg
http://boseknives.com/images/tbosebrnbonebpf5.jpg
http://boseknives.com/images/tbosebrnbonebpf6.jpg

#25255 - 09/16/07 07:37 AM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: kdhampton]
jrandall Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Kerry,

Great looking knife! I have always wondered if Tony or Reese would groove and round the bolsters on this particular model. Thanks for posting this.

j. randall

#25256 - 09/17/07 03:35 PM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: jrandall]
johnbarth Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: midwest
I was going to guess the fluted bolsters.

#25257 - 09/17/07 08:29 PM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: kdhampton]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

First of all, a backpocket is usually 4.5" closed. If it was a millenium back pocket, it would be exactly 4" closed. The 4 1/8" is different.. Also, from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a flushed joint. The true backpocket has a flushed joint and pinched bolsters as well.

Am I close?

Edited by Bob_Glassman (09/17/07 08:30 PM)

#25258 - 09/18/07 02:44 PM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: Bob_Glassman]
MRobuck Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think just the 4.5 comes with the flush joint, not the 4 inch model. As I've said before, I like the fluted bolsters, and that bone is killer

Mike

Edited by MRobuck (09/18/07 02:50 PM)

#25259 - 09/19/07 10:24 AM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: Bob_Glassman]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Quote:

First of all, a backpocket is usually 4.5" closed. If it was a millenium back pocket, it would be exactly 4" closed. The 4 1/8" is different.. Also, from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a flushed joint. The true backpocket has a flushed joint and pinched bolsters as well.

Am I close?

Tony said this is the 4" Backpocket with a rounded/fluted bolster. He used a blade that is a tad bit wider(the blade that Reese uses in his 4" BP) because he thought it looked better than the big BP blade scaled down with the rounded bolsters. That LOOKS SOMEWHAT like the Millenium Trapper blade but it isn't and I didn't hear Tony call this or any other Backpocket a "Millenium Backpocket". Must be an urban legend. The reason the knife is 4 1/8" is because it's a 4" BP with a rounded bolster...get it?!?

BTW...most of the 4.5" BPs Tony has done, the later ones, are flush jointed but some of the older ones are not and sometimes things happen. That's the extent of my BP knowlege and errors are possible.

#25260 - 09/19/07 10:39 AM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: jrandall]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Quote:

Kerry,

Great looking knife! I have always wondered if Tony or Reese would groove and round the bolsters on this particular model. Thanks for posting this.

j. randall

This is the 4th one that Tony has done with rounded bolsters (Prototype, 0, 1, and 2(this knife). Maybe there should be a new name for this knife because "4" BP with rounded and fluted bolsters" just doesn't roll off the tongue well.:) Something like "BK Grandad", "BK BirdDog" or something else that conjures up an old timey image of a great old style knife. Any other ideas?

#25261 - 09/19/07 11:00 AM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: kdhampton]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC
Kerry,

My 4" stag BackPocket that I received from Tony a few months ago with the standard pinched bolsters is actually 4 1/8" closed, fwiw. (Just offered as an observation and not as a refutation of anything stated here.)

Blues' Knife Pix

#25262 - 09/20/07 06:19 AM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: kdhampton]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

Am I close?

Tony said this is the 4" Backpocket with a rounded/fluted bolster. He used a blade that is a tad bit wider(the blade that Reese uses in his 4" BP) because he thought it looked better than the big BP blade scaled down with the rounded bolsters. That LOOKS SOMEWHAT like the Millenium Trapper blade but it isn't and I didn't hear Tony call this or any other Backpocket a "Millenium Backpocket". Must be an urban legend. The reason the knife is 4 1/8" is because it's a 4" BP with a rounded bolster...get it?!?

BTW...most of the 4.5" BPs Tony has done, the later ones, are flush jointed but some of the older ones are not and sometimes things happen. That's the extent of my BP knowlege and errors are possible.

It is my understanding, and someone may correct me if I am wrong, but the 4" backpocket is based on the millenium trapper 2 blade. The blade employed is the second blade (ie. recurve blade) and the handle is the same as the millenium trapper. I have had 2 and they both seem to fall into this catagory. Can't remember if I was told it was called a Millenium Backpocket by either of the Boses or someone that is active on the forum or.... But that name helped me personally differentiate the two types of knives. It works for me but may not for you. But, that's ok...

Attachments
24602-rbose_stag_mil_p2_700.jpg (554 downloads)

Edited by Bob_Glassman (09/20/07 06:21 AM)

#25263 - 09/20/07 06:26 AM Re: 4 1/8" Brownbone Backpocket [Re: Bob_Glassman]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here is another variation of the same knife with fluted and rounded bolsters that I was fortunate enough to acquire. The difference I believe is just the shield and lack of lanyard hole if compared to the brown bone version originally posted. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It is always my goal to learn more.

Attachments
24603-tbose_mbpk_#5_800.jpg (502 downloads)

Edited by Bob_Glassman (09/20/07 06:29 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton