Clinton Knives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171931 - 06/15/18 02:39 PM An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric.
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Eric, these are auction photos of one I had not seen, and I dun bought the thing, just because neat, and I like the handle. The seller states guard/leather/pommel still tight, I guess enough contact still in middle of guard against ricasso.

I know Silvey has round ungrooved UDT knives pictured, but this oval Fairbairn Sykes commando style a new one on me. If a rehandle, somebody still went through a lot of trouble and good shoeleather. And appears old enough to be ooold, without being wartime, so, I did not care. Some bigwig at Kabar personal knife?

Heck, I like it, even if an outright forgery, knowing what such a handle would cost. And entire rig appears serviceable, as-is (my main criteria for any old junk).

Sheath certainly no Pacific ground combat vet, but slathered handle suggests exposure to water/salt a given, in an exercise in bad guessing. Or, a general officer or captain on a carrier with a shoe repair shop? Or, a commercial knife sold right after the war? Nobody can guess worse than me.

What is your take on this one?

Edited by Lofty (06/15/18 02:52 PM)

#171932 - 06/15/18 03:50 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Lofty]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I would guess the other side of the ricasso is unmarked. I would also venture to guess that the original blade finish was a blue wash. The handle has been redone. I have several of these mark 2’s around the house and pole barn. They are a very useful knife.

#171933 - 06/15/18 03:58 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yeah, my guess as well, a redo from way back by somebody good. Sure wish I knew by whom. But, very glad to hear bashing about with it is a-ok, and full steam ahead on that idea when it arrives. Nothing like hitting the woods with an old knife with lots of stories already, if only I understood Knifese. And thank you very much for your take on the knife.

These were assumed to be plated UDT, but perhaps post-war surplus commercial. They differ from my above, which includes peened thick pommel, original guard, no plating, and original Boyt sheath. Lifted from a facebook page.

Edited by Lofty (06/15/18 05:38 PM)

#171934 - 06/15/18 04:18 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Lofty]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It was a great design for what we needed at the time. When we entered WWII the knife issued was a mark 1 knuckle knife. The 7 inch ka-bar is a true American Classic. Great for winning a hand to hand conflict.

#171937 - 06/15/18 05:01 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Inspired by another classic, the Marbles. I had so much joy as a child with mine, woods romping, armed with my trusty military knife, which as any kid knows, is the best knife in the world.

As for the variations out there, although assumptions such as sterile UDT on the plated may be hopeful, it seems to me likewise many skeptical approaches just as unproven on many.

That is what is so neat about them. ANYthing is possible. Same with a plain unaltered wartime. A dogged knife may only have been tied to a hood as an ornament on a jeep, and a near perfect one may have been used only one time in a critical mission. The old stuff has that magic about it, untold and never known stories.

Edited by Lofty (06/15/18 05:45 PM)

#171945 - 06/15/18 07:22 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Lofty]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The plated smooth handle mark 2’s are all post War parts knives made by the Weske Co. in Sandusky Ohio. They bought the Parts from Ka-Bar and made commercial knives with them from 1946-1952. Camillus did make a plated blade Mark 2 but Ii had the standard 5 groove stacked leather washer handle. I always liked the early 1943 blued blades Ka-Bars. At one time I owned both Robeson USMC Mark 2’s shown in Mike Silvey’s WWII book. My personal favorite WWII knife was the Case 7” double edged Stilettos issued for quite dispatching. The extra long leather sheath was issued for this knife with troops wearing Parka’s. I have an example that was worn by a member of the 10th mountain division. I can post pics when I get back from South Haven. Get back Fathers Day.

Edited by Eric (06/15/18 07:23 PM)

#171952 - 06/15/18 11:11 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I could not remember the name of the plated knife company, and thanks for the memory jog. Had only seen it once or twice, and much more familiar with the American outfits doing same with firearms and building pipe bombs with triggers. Looking forward to the photos, for sure, but meanwhile, have a great weekend.

looong PS- there has been a lot of research on the older knives, but yet, much of history was not saved, much is still reasoned assumption on most all of them, and assumptions later become "fact" with very little supporting evidence. Just because a similar knife was an xyz does not necessarily mean all are xyz, that being a logical fallacy and also unscientific (which is filled with unwarranted assumptions).

It keeps them interesting. The first posted knife arrives today, and I hope to find some sign missed by others of its source. The handle is very similar to the post-war plated knives. Everything else is not, including it being likely of earliest Kabar wartime production, left in original (actual Bonderized) finish, tang peened or repeened, original guard. Who does all that handle work to an old used knife, or goes through that trouble on an already assembled milsurp, and leaves everything else as is? Or, perhaps still post-war, never issued earliest blades sold off (?) and put together an earlier way even though discontinued? More questions than answers. I love cool old stuff.

Edited by Lofty (06/16/18 11:49 AM)

#171979 - 06/16/18 01:38 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Being no sort of expert, all I can note is what is here, whether factory or rework. Any work done is very old.

The recurve of blade is not all wear, as top of primary follows same arch. Thick convex to very VERY sharp edge as an axe or hatchet.

Have been testing some other high quality larger knive lately, and went straight to same now mangled small tree to check soundness, and I'll be danged if this thing did not outchop even some larger, it was biting DEEP for such a light knife.

Peen job is quite old, USMC marked, old food or blood stains on ricasso.

Given its handiness, light weight, handle comfort, and performance, along with soft and supple leather sound sheath, I have a new trusty chore pal or campmate.

Last shot to show arch of primary....

Edited by Lofty (06/16/18 01:47 PM)

#171989 - 06/16/18 02:42 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Lofty]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

With the USMC marking you have a mid war kabar. Marine marked blades are more desirable then the USN marked blades. But they all work the same.

#171992 - 06/16/18 03:11 PM Re: An old Kabar query, or, paging Eric. [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not many but me would desire such a dog, no matter the stamp. But, when I get an old knife as this, and despite appearances, it slices loosely held paper, and outchops far "better" knives, along with other knives of same design from same folks and others, I gots me a new pal.

Thanks for insight into the hierarchy of desire as to markings, though. Was frankly suprised to see the mark.

I am suprised you continued to collect after the Robisons and 10th Mountain dagger. What is left? Excalibur?

Sorry for paying such little attention to your post details, while I fixated on my new dog, whose name seems to be Rover. Until proven otherwise, will assume Rover either a postwar rehandle, or a shipboard built sailor deck knife. They had the facilities, the sheath seems to never have been used much in a dirty rough environment when younger, all the parkerize is gone, pitting of blade, handle/guard dipped in spar varnish or whatever. To me as a former coastal resident and fisher, says salt air/water damage cutting salty wet rope, netting, etc and countermeasures, given excellent condition of everything not steel. Otherwise, postwar all the way, and put away covered with deer blood.

As for utility, I compared it with my vast collection, which consists of one of my personal Camillus military knives, 2ea early reintro by Kabar/made by Camillus parkerized knives, and my early circa 92 black epoxy Alcas/Cutco made Kabar still in stapled US made sheath.

The Alcas/Cutco (still current maker using import riveted sheaths since early 2000s) is lowest and thickest edged grind, and weighs a full half ounce more, while all the rest, including Rover, weigh 10oz or 10.1oz. After hefting and handling, and chopping with all of them, no doubt at all that Rover has the best handle and blade geometry, by far. Rover will continue to rove, for sure. The rest, not so much.

Edited by Lofty (06/16/18 04:49 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman