Stanback Knives Nifeboy.com
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160389 - 05/16/17 01:33 AM Busse Battle Mistress.
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
Here goes, the Infamous Busse Battle Mistress.
Had mine since 1999. Non offset drop on handle.
It came with a River City Sheath (I believe) which really does make a very practical package. Comfortably carried, safe withdrawal, easy re-sheathing. Important when dealing with a 10 inch, heavy blade. (9 inch cutting edge). Unable to remember purchase price, but felt it was a good deal and even more so after swinging it for 18 hassle free years. Kydex scratching? Not a issue as it gets flushed out with water regularly. Sand isn't a problem.
Now Busse knives come without Sheath which some People moan about. However, purchaser has option to buy a “Universal” sheath or get one Custom Made and offset the overall purchase price.

One of the advantages of buying a Randall, is the brilliant Leather Sheath supplied.

Only downsides for me (skinny runt) is the mass of knife and very thick grind at tip which makes it impractical for finer work. So, I have to carry another knife which I would do anyway, just a niggle point, pun intended.

I carry a very small Victorinox Steel for rare touch ups. Infi Steel seems to hold edge well even in Marine environment. Painted blade has proved to be long lasting but does wear with hard use as to be expected.

Used a wrist loop for a short time to ensure retention. Removed it as feel it not required unless over water when clearing creeks. Good design of handle ensures good control without twisting. Micarta grips help. Choil allows choking up for more control and retention when required.

The flat grind can pinch in hard wood sometimes which is a pain (literally) when cutting with applied force, as opposed to a inertia swing. Due to weight, it doesn't whistle when doing snap cuts like my Cold Steel L.T.C. Kukri. (thin model) which is my go-to knife for track cutting if available.

In closing, it is the Tool I grab, when going into a heavily wooded area for more than one day anticipating that I may well not come out for longer time if things turn bad.
At my age, I've experienced things turning to custard at short notice many times and do rely on having a reliable knife and sheath to help out. It has kept up to standards and expectations so far. Great for dealing to those Coconuts which are part of my staple diet when living in the tropics.. smile

#160391 - 05/16/17 06:38 AM Re: Busse Battle Mistress. [Re: needfull things]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
My Busse came without a sheath. I have yet to find one for it.
Busse Argonne SRT Knife with a 9.5" Blade

Attachments
------Busse Argonne SRT Knife  9.5 Blade.JPG

------Busse Argonne SRT Knife  9.5 Blade (3).JPG

#160404 - 05/16/17 01:38 PM Re: Busse Battle Mistress. [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mike Sastre makes excellent sheaths for the big ones, his sheaths for Bagwell bowies considered required by many owners (not me, I'll stick with his leather).

I want to thank the original poster for an honest review, and for lack of mindless fan-boyism (where it is the best knife in history, cleaves rocks, skins mice, and was made with magic dust to make owner nearly immortal). This is the first post on his knives which I have ever read in which I actually learned details about the knife and how those details come together on performance.

Congratulations on owning what seems a very fine and very desired large combat/survival knife, and, thanks again.

#160421 - 05/16/17 09:57 PM Re: Busse Battle Mistress. [Re: Eric]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Eric,

Most likely laser cut. Material and hardness ? I'm not up on Busse. Thank you.

#160425 - 05/16/17 10:41 PM Re: Busse Battle Mistress. [Re: W Polidori]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Warren, Coyote brown coated blade. Busse uses INFI steel, which is a proprietary steel with a heat-treat protocol developed by Busse Combat Knives. INFI is only available through Busse knives. Hardened INFI has a 58-60 Rc.

#160426 - 05/16/17 11:59 PM Re: Busse Battle Mistress. [Re: Eric]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

And, unlike so many, these claims of proprietary steel and HT are not smoke and mirrors, but lab established fact. Which honestly suprised me, back when.
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=infi

It would appear the original poster has a knife with the older steel formulation with Nitrogen and etc.

Edited by Lofty (05/17/17 12:01 AM)

#160429 - 05/17/17 04:21 AM Re: Busse Battle Mistress. [Re: Eric]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Thanks for the info Eric.

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman