Nifeboy.com dominionhobby.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167888 - 01/17/18 08:57 PM Eagles in the Water
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Monday afternoon, I saw something you don't usually see. Two Bald Eagles were out in the middle of one of my ponds. I reckon they had a fish or a duck or something. They were trying to get to the bank in a hurry and I was trying to get my phone out in a hurry to take a picture.

They got out before I could take a picture of them in the water but both were soaking wet. One could not fly and the other barely could. I got his picture about 3 feet off the ground since thats about all he could muster up.

The other evidently could not fly at all and just sat on the bank for a good 15 minutes before I left him alone. Anyhow, take a look and enjoy. Sorry for the bad pics. I took them with my phone and by the time I re-sized them to go on this forum, they are kinda grainy.

Attachments
------Wet Eagle flying low.gif

------Wet Eagle on the bank.gif

#167889 - 01/17/18 09:21 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: coachblalock]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Coach,

My neighbor 89 years young and sharp as a tack called to thank me this morning for clearing his snow covered driveway and said a Bald Eagle was in our neighbors tree for more than 20 minutes before leaving for the nearby farm. Sightings are more prevalent here from trusted sources. Thanks for the pics.

#167890 - 01/17/18 09:35 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: W Polidori]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

During my lifetime, we have had 3 eagle nests on our property. They generally keep the same nest for 5 years or so, then the nest gets so big that it falls down. The last one fell down in 2010 and it would not fit in the back of a pickup. There is a nest right now on my neighbors property about a mile away.

#167891 - 01/17/18 09:45 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: coachblalock]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
My former life on LI; Osprey nests litter the edges of the tidal flats and salt marsh. They come back to same nest every year. Cool birds to watch at work

#167897 - 01/18/18 01:06 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: W Polidori]
Birdsinhere2 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Grand Lake of the Cherokees, O...
We are in the middle of the Bald Eagle migration here in Oklahoma. I live on one of the biggest lakes in the state, and just today, I saw three coming to work... Have seen at least one per day and some days 5 or 6. Awesome creatures.
BOOMER SOONER!!

#167898 - 01/18/18 01:29 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: Birdsinhere2]
Birdsinhere2 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Grand Lake of the Cherokees, O...
Out the car window!

Attachments
------15E9D77A-7DFF-4621-BD47-56AAA3247569.jpeg

Edited by Birdsinhere2 (01/18/18 01:30 PM)
BOOMER SOONER!!

#167900 - 01/18/18 04:29 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: Birdsinhere2]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Very cool pics coach and Marty!

We se them in Florida petty regular. I sent Mike Mason a pic of 1 sitting by the water at my job and now I can't find it. But he was just hangin out.
I was also fortunate enough to watch 1 hunt, driving down the road I saw it slam into another bird in the air. I made a U turn and came back to watch the circle of life unfold right in front of me in a median.... VERY cool and regreatfully just before my first camera phone.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#167901 - 01/18/18 04:31 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: RamKingJC]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

And the story that's almost as good as that 1 is those of us sitting around at Randall last year for the Spring Stock sale saw 1 fly right over us with a fish in it's talons and land in a tree by the cars. Another bird flew in and spooked it so it dropped the fish. I tried to get Dennis Estes to fire up the grill for fresh fish but he already had steaks going!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#167902 - 01/18/18 04:34 PM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: RamKingJC]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I stocked one of my ponds with 1,000 ALBINO Channel Cats back in 2002. I used to feed them every day and they got to be about 5-6 pounds.

One day a pair of eagles was flying overhead when I fed the catfish. Within a year, I did not have ANY Albino Channel Cats.

#167918 - 01/19/18 07:08 AM Re: Eagles in the Water [Re: coachblalock]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
The Federal Government may remove the Bald Eagle from the endangered species act. Evidently, there are a lot more Bald Eagles in the wild than ever thought. It appears a lot of the Bald Eagles have been combing their feathers around their head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TonyLaPetri