Nifeboy.com
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183247 - 09/08/19 04:03 AM Binoculars
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lincolnshire,England
This week I fulfilled a long held ambition and got myself a pair of quality binoculars.
I had carried out literally decades of research and having looked at and through many different models from Leica,Zeiss,Minox,Nikon,Svarovski and many more I narrowed it down to either the Leica Trinovid HD or the Zeiss Conquest HD in 10x42.
I finally chose the Leica's purely on the way they suited me as a spectacle wearer,I could not tell any difference between the two in terms of performance.
The Leicas are a major step up in optical quality from the 15 year old mid range Minox BL BR I had been using,although I have to admit that even being more than 3x the price the Leicas where not 3x higher performance ,the improved quality of manufacture is quite evident though.
In terms of performance they are stunning,in bright conditions the focus is pin sharp,I can get a perfect sharp circle even wearing my specs,the colour definition is superb,one of the most impressive things is that I can focus down to 6 feet,looking at Bumble Bees feeding on our Lavender hedge is like a 4K tv screen.Probably the most impressive part though is their light gathering qualities as the light fades,I am able to see birds in trees in detail through the binoculars that are just dark shapes with the naked eye.
I did look at the higher price Ultravid models but honestly could not tell any difference in performance and I had set myself a budget of around $1000 so they where really only tested to confirm my decision.
Normally when I make any significant purchase (RMK's aside smile )I suffer from buyers remorse,however not this time,probably more satisfied spending my hard earned on these binoculars than anything else for years.

Attachments
------image.jpeg

#183254 - 09/08/19 03:52 PM Re: Binoculars [Re: Neale_Jenkinson]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Neale,

I purchased these Swarovski binos at a Cabelas store about 12 years ago. I have to be honest I would rather have the Leicas but for what I needed these 8x30 do a great job. There was a huge price difference too, these were a close out and it made sense.
The Leica I looked at was a Ultravid 10x30. They were much brighter and sharper. Congrats on a super great bino.

Attachments
------20190908_154613-1024x768.jpg

#183262 - 09/08/19 06:07 PM Re: Binoculars [Re: W Polidori]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
My wife got me these El 10x50 for our anniversary several years ago just before we went to Yellowstone.

I keep them on the table right beside the back door.

I don't know how you can get any better than these. At dusk, it looks like broad daylight through these.

Attachments
------Swarvorski El 10x50.gif

#183263 - 09/08/19 06:09 PM Re: Binoculars [Re: coachblalock]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Top shelf there Coach. Good wife!

#183271 - 09/08/19 09:13 PM Re: Binoculars [Re: W Polidori]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Warren.

I have to admit that my Bride is better than I deserve. She researched binoculars long and hard before she got these for me.

Not long after we took our Yellowstone trip, we had a Bald Eagle nest about 200 yds from our house. With these Binoculars, we could see them real good. They raised 2 chicks that first year.

They came back the next year but just raised one.

The following year, a storm blew the tree down. We keep hoping that they will choose another big tree close by.

They are really fun to watch, especially with these binoculars.

#183276 - 09/09/19 03:20 AM Re: Binoculars [Re: coachblalock]
Neale_Jenkinson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lincolnshire,England
I was super impressed with the Swaros I looked at,the only drawback was the price,they where twice my budget,I had to be disciplined smile

Edited by Neale_Jenkinson (09/09/19 03:20 AM)

#183289 - 09/09/19 09:16 PM Re: Binoculars [Re: Neale_Jenkinson]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

With the moon as bright as it is tonight, those 50mm lenses allow you see more than you would think possible.

I can make out hogs at 100 yds. I can’t always tell for sure what they are, but I can sure see them going across the pasture.

#183290 - 09/09/19 09:28 PM Re: Binoculars [Re: coachblalock]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Waiting to see better Coach with and without binoculars.
Give me a few weeks.