Miles Swelze
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169928 - 03/31/18 09:46 AM Mossberg Shock Wave
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
With all of the bad happening to me lately,I decided to cheer myself up and buy a Mossberg Shock Wave.

Anyone have any experience with them? I have a couple of Model 550s and am totally happy with the Mossberg products.

Wayne

#169929 - 03/31/18 10:52 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I just picked one up Tuesday. It seems well made. I don't what I'll use it for, but I think it will be fun. Going to take it out and play soon.

#169960 - 04/02/18 12:37 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Steven]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have had one since they first came out. Love a no paperwork sawed off shotgun, which is about as short as it can get and still keep max capacity. I have only ever had a problem with one new Mossberg, latching/unlatching was out of time, had to slam slide handle back to release a shell reliably, and the latch was sharp enough to cut my thumb when loading. It was back in 3 wks, worked perfectly as all the rest.

No SBS is fun to shoot in my book, not with most loads. You have two alternatives for fun.....the Winchester AA Low Noise/Low Recoil 980fps loads, which is STILL nearly a full ounce of lead doing nearly 1000fps, which has gotta hurt if slapped with one, and likely a lot better behavior modifier than a bullwhip.

The other fun way is the Aguila Mini Shells...there is an aftermarket rubber gizmo for cheap (OPSol/$15) which plugs into the bottom of the loading port which allows your Mossberg to reliably cycle the Minis all day long, nearly doubling capacity (ok, 30%), and serious loads such as their buckshot loads are mainly lighter only in payload, and have decent speed.

How reliable is the gizmo? Mossberg used it at the SHOT Show for writers to shoot the guns at the intro of the Shockwave, with no problems and great press on the guns a result, as fun had by all...

Edited by Lofty (04/02/18 12:52 AM)

#169963 - 04/02/18 08:15 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lofty,
I have heard about the adaptor for the mini shells but the problem is trying to obtain the Aguila mini shells.

I will try some of the Winchester PDX rounds and some light trap loads and see how that works.

I am fairly big (6'3",245) so hopefully can handle the SW.

The only real modification that I plan on putting on mine is an XS front sight and attach a sling.

Wayne

#169987 - 04/02/18 09:27 PM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The slide handle with strap is annoying in unfinished/relatively ends, but works quite well in maintaining control, a big problem with shorties.

Normally the front rips right through fingertips as a riff on a zither, but with the strap, the front hand not only stays tied to gun, it also helps take all the recoil off the back hand, whose middle knuckle otherwise can get rapped hard by a trigger guard as that hand slips.

It is a good gun, no taking that away at all.

As for ammo supplies, most places I have lived have been not well stocked or even stored, so, ammo ordered very easily, normally cheaper, as well.

#169998 - 04/03/18 08:53 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I intend to smooth out,hopefully,the fore end strap and I will replace the plastic safety with a metal one after I smooth that out as I had heard that some folks get cuts on the hand from a sharp safety.

I have no intentions of firing 3" magnums. Probably the most stout load will be a Winchester PDX round.

Wayne

#170037 - 04/04/18 01:14 PM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well, I have had Cruisers for years and years, from back when even THEY were controversial, always loved them, but always wished they were as short barreled as the mag tube, and got my wish with the guy who sells the Raptor grip.

HE is the super genius who first noted the loophole in the law regarding PG shotguns, cut a Cruiser back, got it ruled legal, installed a LEO barrel/magazine and his grip, sent it in and ruled legal, and Mossberg wondering why the sudden run on their LEO barrel/mag sets, and got in on the action.

When the "inventor" first started posting, I immediately cut my Cruiser back to 26 1/8th" and copied his ATF approval letters, far cheaper than ordering the barrel/mag set and grip...but, when the thing became widespread approved enough that the Shockwave came out for so cheap, I immediately latched onto one. A) it is obviously approved as a factory offering rather than me need run around with a cut barrel and letters from Mossberg that it shipped with PG and ATF letter as to 26" and over is legal with such, and B) the Shockwave works better with extra length in back, rather than front, so more muzzle clearance, plus the Raptor grip does not hammer the web of hand as everyone else's PG aside from the old Remington Witness Protection whippets with shorter knobbed grip.

It is a good gun....better even than a Cruiser.

Edited by Lofty (04/04/18 01:15 PM)

#170055 - 04/05/18 08:54 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Funny thing,in my state the Shock Waves are considered somewhat on the "iffy" legal side.
Yet you can get the Mossberg AOW/NFA pieces after paying the $5.00 or $200. fee with no controversy.

Right now,I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Shock Wave.

Just in time for the opening of the outdoor range schedule on the 14th....IF the snow clears.

I will try her out with light trap loads and then pattern it with the Winchester PDX rounds.

Wayne

#170176 - 04/11/18 08:08 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My dealer got in a "Shock Wave" but it was not a Mossberg but a Remington TAC-14. I would not accept it as it is a piece of JUNK!!!

No where near the quality of 870s of years gone by. Very cheap plastic parts in place of metal ones,redesigned parts for economy and certainly not quality.

Quality control definitely not there and customer service is pretty much non-existant.

No wonder why Remington went bankrupt!!

I will be going to another dealer to pick up a real Shock Wave today.

Wayne

#170182 - 04/11/18 10:13 AM Re: Mossberg Shock Wave [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You would have thought folks would remember the essential demise of Winchester as a...THE.... giant in the industry turning into a fading away to nothing also-ran, almost overnight, in 1964, from cheapening their entire line....but, Remington and other majors such as Smith and Wesson, simply refused to listen to the wisdom of history.

Sorry about the disappointment, and who would have thought 25yrs ago that a buyer would be able to truthfully say, "yeah, I tried to get a Mossberg, but the dealer tried to sell me a cheap Remington copy of that cool Mossberg"?

Which it is. They jumped right on the bandwagon overnight, as until then, they had resolutely refused to even sell a PG version of their gun, to avoid exactly what was done with the Cruiser.

The Mossberg is a crude but very dependable gun, and essentially an econo copy of a Remington 31 which was dropped to make room for the 870 Wingmaster, the 31 action first copied by High Standard. IF the parts are in-spec when new, a fairly bulletproof see-saw action. Any problem with the gun will always simply be a bad part easily swapped, on their dime aside from shipping there. It really is why I prefer it over even an older 870 nowadays, as no possibility of trapped shells or weak sprung flappers causing a problem in cycling. I adore my 590A1, excellent design Mossberg peep/blade, and stout enough to run the bayonet assault course, and parkerized. Matches my CAR perfectly.

As a PS, you COULD do as I did and blow another $125 on the Shockwave to turn it nearly into the issue whippet by adding the metal milspec trigger group and metal safety button. Some services bought into kits allowing mission specific configurations to be assembled. The LEO barrel/magazine is part of that kitting, and although the pistol grip WAS the normal shorter Cruiser type, am sure some Raptor grips have percolated into the system, by now, individual buys, if nothing else.

Edited by Lofty (04/11/18 11:07 PM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman