James Behring Knives Stanback Knives
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168194 - 01/29/18 11:06 PM Pocket pistols...
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This one fits in a map pocket. 60grs 3f, .61 cal 325gr ball, over 1000fps Xs 2. The suede tootsie rolls under hammers are the safety(s). For the curious, the proof loads for the barrels are twice the loads in them. It is proofed with almost 150grs 2f and almost 2oz of shot. Barrels just over 11" and 4.5lbs. Sorry for filth, have been busy lately and a rough winter.

REPEL BOARDERS!

Edited by Lofty (01/29/18 11:17 PM)

#168197 - 01/30/18 09:13 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Lofty,
That looks super nice. However........you must have some really big pockets for that thing!!!

I don't even want to know what the recoil would be like with the proof loads!!!!

Wayne

#168203 - 01/30/18 05:20 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The map pockets are just workable. It is 17.25" and 4.4lbs, hides under a jacket or towel with ease. Very easy to move from auto to home or motel room, fits in a lightweight backpack with room to spare and does not try to punch through bottom. Hard to imagine a handier "long" gun which one would wish to shoot.

Edited by Lofty (01/30/18 05:32 PM)

#168210 - 01/30/18 07:46 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
What's it weigh loaded? Is it front heavy?
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#168214 - 01/30/18 08:29 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Chief]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loads are 60grs twice, and 325grs twice, so, just a little under two ounces heavier than the 4.4lb weight when empty.

Balance point is just ahead of locks, so weight between hands with front and rear hold, and is fired easily and most comfortably with a two hand pistol hold, as the barrel key might get a hand out front. Can be fired one hand, but gets heavy quick.

If you google "hickok45 howdah 20" it should get you a video of him shooting a normal 60gr 2f and ounce of shot, if you wish to judge recoil better than I can describe. A really fun gun with sane 20ga loads such as printed on boxes of shells as in drams and ounces and how this easily measured.

Edited by Lofty (01/30/18 08:34 PM)

#168216 - 01/30/18 08:45 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Legality....YOUR state may or may not be fine with it. If a state essentially copies Federal law on guns, and classes antique-type non-cartridge guns as non-firearms, then it is fine. BUT, if your state does not differentiate such as "a firearm is any device capable of propelling shot or bullet by expanding gas (to maybe include air rifles), etc etc etc", then likely barrel length restrictions will also apply to the muzzleloader.

To be frank, most southern states do NOT class muzzleloaders separate, I know TN and GA DO, but AL/MS/AR/OK do NOT, or something like that...and yet still freely mailed by major chains to those states, as obviously prisons not filled with muzzleloader convicts as most law officers just see a.muzzleloader and know the feds do not care. Other states allow convicts to own muzzleloaders, such as FL, I think.

Anyhow, just because they will mail it to you, does not make it legal, so, check before purchase, or, use with discretion, for your area.

Edited by Lofty (01/30/18 09:58 PM)

#168217 - 01/30/18 08:52 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

oh....to double the eye opening, it also can be furnished with a detachable separately sold stock, and even a holster, both of which I have, the holster used for covering majority of gun (muzzles and PG exposed) when packed. The stock is actually quite good, more an "entry gun" length so that stock not longer than gun when packed. Pointing is more a looking over barrels than down, but a well made wood/steel/leather padded stock.

This should be a short clip of the stocked gun being loaded and fired with ball, and shoulder stock installed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqVfeR31Row

Edited by Lofty (01/30/18 08:56 PM)

#168222 - 01/30/18 11:43 PM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

As much as videos show all manner of expensive time consuming load stacks for shot loads, an arch hole punch of correct size and three cheezit box card wads over powder and once or two over the shot works fine. Google old VM Starr on muzzleloading shotguns and read his amusing take and exploits.

His wads are described more as signboard/tablet backer (and good luck finding such today), but thinner fare works fine when a couple more added....when you find some downrange not burned through, you have arrived.

Ball loads even easier, a patched ball on powder. If burned through, who cares at the ranges being used. CAN put a card wad or three if desired, though...

It can be as simple or complicated as desired.

Edited by Lofty (01/30/18 11:58 PM)

#168224 - 01/31/18 12:07 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

As to why bother, when you can nearly get 325grs going nearly as fast in a Ruger .45 SA, and certainly get there with some other caliber revolvers, what you will not get on arrival or even after impact, is .61 cal.

Neither will you get, even with a pump gun, the pure menace of a shorty double. I own a Shockwave 12ga 14.5" bbl, and it weighs about a pound more, and is about 9" longer, to get the 3 extra shots. Since I carry a gun a whole lot more than shoot one in life and death scenarios in civilian life, two shots of 20 ga is just fine, and if i need more, there is always the G43 9mm somewhere on my person.

of course, also the obvious, in many/most states, the gun mailed or bought over the counter with no more paperwork than a bill of sale, and ditto many/most states zero record keeping, or it even called a firearm and may as well be an umbrella. But, again, CHECK for your area and KNOW.

Edited by Lofty (01/31/18 12:29 AM)

#168227 - 01/31/18 09:23 AM Re: Pocket pistols... [Re: Lofty]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Lofty,
Just so you can't get into any trouble with the law,send that piece to me and I will "hold it" for you so you won't get into any trouble.

Wayne

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman