Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201521 - 11/27/22 08:48 AM Daisy BB guns
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
This time of year,the movie A Christmas Story starts to show up and causes me to wonder just how many in this forum started by using the Daisy Red Ryder BB gun (and did not shoot their eye out)??

A buddy of mine moved down to the VA area a few years ago and told me that one of his favorite past times is to go out and plink with his Red Ryder.

The beauty of it is no noise and no real worry about the BB going off some distance. Tin cans at various locations offer plenty of targets.

His telling me that got me to get out my old Daisy Model 25 pump action BB gun and set up some tin cans and plink.

Just wandering if anyone else does that (and please,don't poke your eye out)

Wayne

#201522 - 11/27/22 09:54 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
My folks wouldn't let me have a BB gun and I didn't get one for me until I was in my 60's. That being said, I shot all my little friends Daisy BB gun, and I learned to shoot 22's at summer camp from age 10-14. I didn't get my own 22 until I was a junior in high school. My Dad was an ultra left winger and didn't hunt, fish or camp out. He was still a great father to me and my brother, but having outdoors in my blood, it was sometimes frustrating for both of us.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#201523 - 11/27/22 10:12 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
I had a plethora of them....I guess my dad wanted to make sure I was always armed...I had a couple at grandpa's as well....no better feeling than a tube full of ammo, heading out for a "hunt"....I killed way too many animals....BUT I was young, and didn't care....the 60's is not the 20's!! when I was at the lake with grand pa....I'd bait the bream up with bred, then start firing!!! I only shot out 1 window....at the neighbors house....somehow, I got caught, and had to apologize in person, and pay reparation's.....I moved up to my dad's(now mine) #52. shooting CB caps....I cannot believe I drug that rifle all through the woods, and never screwed it up....
I did(by accident) shoot my best friend....he wanted to fight me, but I talked him into shooting me instead....we're still good friends today...60+ years later
well....that all I have to say about that....

:-)Rocky

Edited by thevalueman (11/27/22 10:14 AM)
RKCC#25

#201524 - 11/27/22 01:48 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: thevalueman]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy,
Hmmm,seems to me that your father pretty well would fit in with the folks now at your old home town.

I don't think there was a kid in my town that DID NOT have at least one Daisy BB gun with the Red Ryders the most prevalent.

Rocky,
At least you did not shoot each other's eye out. Right??

Wayne

#201525 - 11/27/22 02:02 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

nope....I shot him in the leg, and that's where he shot me
much better than a fight....we were too good of friends!!

Edited by thevalueman (11/27/22 02:02 PM)
RKCC#25

#201526 - 11/27/22 03:12 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: thevalueman]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
I never owned a Red Ryder, but my little brother and I each began carrying single shot .22s everywhere we roamed on the few hundred acres of farm and woodlands. And we never had even one unlucky or careless incident during those years. I can say without a doubt that my 10 year old little brother carrying that rifle and, accompanied by the two collie dogs that were with us everywhere we went,
saved him from the pervert that happened to be riding on that long gravel road. I feel certain that my brother would have been one of the kids that just “vanished.” What a surprise for the perv when he realized the “toy rifle” the kid was carrying was a Remington double deuce. AND, no sir, “you cannot look at my gun.”
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#201527 - 11/27/22 05:42 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Duke]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke,
Good thing that the pervert outcome was positive.

Over the years I had investigated a number of pervert incidents and the ripple effect of such incidents is devastating.

I like in the movie Home Alone where the little boy starts the ball rolling with two well placed BB shots.

I think the BB gun in the movie was a Daisy Model 25 pump action.

Wayne

#201528 - 11/27/22 10:16 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I was just thinking about the old pump action daisy. Thanks for mentioning in Top Dog.
Walker

#201529 - 11/28/22 07:44 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Shoot870p]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

As I recall the "pump action" you had to unscrew to end of the barrel and remove the BB holding device, then load the tube that was captured by a holding spring.....more limited ammo supply than the model that just had a "hopper" that's not the word for it, however I cannot think what might better describe it

RKCC#25

#201532 - 11/28/22 11:52 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: thevalueman]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Absolutely!
Walker

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman