Clinton Knives Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92060 - 09/01/11 07:57 PM How to tie (and use) a wrist thong *
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
It was in the early 1980's. I was set up at a gun & knife show in downtown Orlando...and I mean "downtown". The Orlando "Centraplex", as it was called was located downtown. There was an Omni hotel, the Bob Carr theatre for the performing arts, amongst other stuff. The Orlando Magic were just getting underway. All of this in a 4 block area. Quite a contraption, this mess-n-maze of buildings was!
I was selling guns-n-Randalls and showing somebody a Model #10-7" at the time. I was trying to explain how I looped the wrist thong around my wrist a couple of times and how it helped me to use the knife "on the water" and not have to worry about losing it.
All of a sudden, I was approached by this thin old man, forcing his way into the conversation and politely (but intensly) telling me I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. It was Bo Randall, who used to frequent the shows back in the day. Bo proceeded to show "us" (meaning everyone who would look) just exactly how "his" wrist thong should be used.
I never forgot that lesson. Bo was right on the money and I'm going to try and pass it on to you good folks...If you like?? I probably will not word myself properly and ya'll might have a time figuring out my photos and explanation...but I'll try.
I didn't want this thread to get lost in and with the other very good thread on the subject, which is going on at present, so I started a seperate one. Hope this is OK with everyone...OK: Here goes.

FIRST: Loop the paracord through the handle hole provided or the hilt hole provided (#18's) and lay the open ends side by side and pointing "away" from each other. At "every" stage of this knot these "tag ends" will be pointed away from one another.

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 001.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (09/01/11 08:36 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92062 - 09/01/11 08:01 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Second:
Begin the knot by tying a half hitch around the other half (side) of the paracord. (Notice how the tags ends are facing apart?

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 002.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92063 - 09/01/11 08:03 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Third:
Tighten this half hitch up fairly tight with at least one inch exposed. (See how the tag ends are facing away from each other?)

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 003.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92064 - 09/01/11 08:06 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

4 & 5: Reverse the knot, tying another half hitch on the opposite end of the paracord...and tighten exactly as the first hitch. (Notice how the tag ends are facing away from one another?)

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 004.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 005.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92066 - 09/01/11 08:11 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

6 & 7:
If you have tied these knots correctly you should be able to pull as hard as you can and the knots will slip tight against one another, while never...I repeat "never" coming loose!
Afterward, with no effort at all, you'll be able to pull the 2 tag ends, forming the "loop" you will use next!

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 007.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 008.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (09/01/11 08:11 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92067 - 09/01/11 08:18 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

9,10,11 & 12:
Open this newly found "loop" as wide as need be. Slip your entire hand through the loop. Position the knife and cinch the loop tightly around your wrist. I have large hands, wrists and arms and the wrist thong that comes directly from the Randall shop is plenty long enough for me to achieve this method and grip/hold. If, for some reason it doesn't work for you, get a longer piece of paracord and start over. (But make sure the tag ends are pointed away from each other during each and every stage of this knot!)

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 009.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 010.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 011.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 012.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92068 - 09/01/11 08:22 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

13,14 & 15:
You can clearly see that this knife...Ain't going anywhere! Not only that: Somebody would have a hell of a time taking it away from you. If you're in rough seas, that prized Randall ain't goin' overboard. (Just make sure that the tag ends of the knot are facing away from each other).

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 013.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 014.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 015.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92069 - 09/01/11 08:25 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

16,17 & 18:
You simply reverse the procedure to remove the wrist thong when your chores are done. At each stage you will notice that "The tag ends are pointed away from one another"!

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 016.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 017.jpg

------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 018.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92071 - 09/01/11 08:27 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
Thanks Capt. !!!

NRA Life Member

#92072 - 09/01/11 08:29 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Here endeth the lesson class. I usually leave my wrist thongs attached after I have finished with the knife. If it's full of blood-n-guts I remove it, launder it and re-install it, being careful to make sure that....(you guessed it)...The tags ends are pointed away from each other at all stages of tying this knot...
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Thanks to Elizabeth for helping with the photos...CCS

Attachments
------How to tie a wrist thong...-09,2011 019.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod