Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147763 - 08/13/16 12:39 PM Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath *
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Forum members,
Several have asked me a variety of questions, regarding the operation, usefulness, necessity, proper application and reasoning behind the paracord that comes included with their Randall knife sheath. I'll attempt to answer that with as few photo tutorial examples...and as simple a language as possible.
The knife and sheath example used for this tutorial are out of The Captain's "Stash" and are paired together...only for the purpose of this tutorial. The original "C" style sheath for my #15 shown here is safely tucked away but this splendid example of Sullivans Holster Shop's work is brand new, more crisp and clear and easier to visualize the various steps of the applications needed to show the proper way to utilize the paracord supplied with your Randall knife/sheath combination. I hope you agree!
Also: It should be noted that several "other" Randall sheath types come from the Randall shop with paracord attached. I am using the "C" style as it contains the most paracord applications and is, indeed, the most versatile of all sheaths offered from Randall Made Knives.The Model "A" and Model "B" sheath will often come with a single paracord, intended for additional security around the handle of your Randall knife. This tutorial will show you exactly how to tie this paracord for it's intended application. The included photos, although only showing the handle safety keeper as it is used on the "C" style sheath, apply to, both the "A" and "B" model Randall sheaths as well.
For clarity, I have replaced the original paracord with separate colored lengths of cord. This was done simply to allow the visual tutorial to be easier to understand. I hope this tutorial will answer any questions you might have, regarding this subject. If not, please call, text or email me and I'll be more than happy to try and answer them for you.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/13/16 12:39 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#147767 - 08/13/16 12:49 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

The first 2 photos show the front and back of a Model "C" style sheath. Please note the 3 pieces of paracord, colored in RED, WHITE & BLUE. The top-most paracord (The "red" one) is used to attach you sheath to various types of gear, to include but not limited to:
* Jump harness
* Mae West
* Other PFD's (Personal Flotation Devices)
* Backpack
The bottom-most paracord (The "blue" one) is also used for all of the above..."PLUS" securing the bottom of your sheath around your leg, should you require this addiitonal security. If the sheath is to mounted to your gear, inverted, this "blue" cord will wind up securing the bottom of your sheath to the top of your gear.
The center paracord (the "white" one) is used to secure your knife inside your sheath and is the main concern and focus point of this tutorial. If the other cords or their applications are not required for your needs, simply remove them and save them for a rainy day. You never know: You just might need them!

Attachments
------Paracord Tutorial-A.JPG

------Paracord Tutorial-B.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/13/16 12:49 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#147769 - 08/13/16 01:04 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

The next step is to put your knife inside the sheath and secure it with the leather keeper strap...(STILL your primary security for keeping your knife sheathed). Once you have done this, open the white cord up, long enough to form the loop shown above your knife handle. Make sure it has room to clear and come down over the front.
Next place the "tag" end (the open end) up and through the loop you have created.
Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Paracord Tutorial-C.JPG

------Paracord Tutorial-D.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/13/16 01:04 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#147770 - 08/13/16 01:09 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Next step? Give it a "GOOD TUG" on the tag end. Afterwards, continue to pull and secure the cord as tight and as close in proximity to your knife's handle as is possible! The below photos show you what this should look like, beginning and completed!
Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Paracord Tutorial-E.JPG

------Paracord Tutorial-F.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#147771 - 08/13/16 01:15 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

OK:
Now...The "reason" you pulled the hell out of this cord was to secure your knife! Mission accomplished! The reason you pulled the tag end "north", up & through your loop, was to "un-secure" your knife. This is done by tugging on the tag end, pulling downward at the same time. Once you have worked a small area loose, you can pull directly on the loop to open it far enough to remove the loop, back over the top of the handle, and un-sheath your knife!
See? Easy-peasy! I hope this helps you folks and answered all of your questions, concerning this subject.
Capt. Chris
PS: One more thing: You notice that there are more holes in the #C sheaths than the paracord takes up. This allows you to:
* Move the cords, higher or lower
* Attch you sheath to a web belt, using a "G I Wire"!...
CCS

Attachments
------Paracord Tutorial-G.JPG

------Paracord Tutorial-H.JPG

------Paracord Tutorial-I.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/13/16 01:18 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#147772 - 08/13/16 01:15 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Zogger Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Nice! Txs!

#147773 - 08/13/16 01:17 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Zogger]
RamKingJC Online
Knife Enthusiast

NO!!!! How come there are no pictures of attachments to Mae West!?!?!?!?

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#147776 - 08/13/16 01:28 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Many thanks to the Captain, it is really useful! smile

White paracord resembles the old Morseth sheath - also appointment.

Attachments
------323.jpg

#147777 - 08/13/16 01:29 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: RamKingJC]
Tanasie Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee, USA
Captain...very helpful...BUT can you bring the excellent thread to the top that you once did on the proper way to tie the wrist thong ?

#147778 - 08/13/16 01:32 PM Re: Paracord Utilization #101...4 "All" Randall sheath [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Hanks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South Florida
Thanks Captian. Great demo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod