Miles Swelze Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167982 - 01/23/18 02:03 PM Amboyna Camper/Blade Build
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I spoke to Guido this morning. He was wondering if I was alright. I said yes...and asked him why he asked. "Because, Gumba, I hear nothing from you"...was his response. I assured him I was "AOK" and that hunting season, along with order scheduling, etc., etc. was taking up all of time. I also promised him that I would post something to the forum.
OK: Promise fulfilled! If I'm gonna' post (and seeing as how this is long-late coming and we're slow on here right now) how about a post that'll get some action?
Remember this?
Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Amboyna Blade Show Build.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (01/23/18 03:28 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#167983 - 01/23/18 02:40 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Supposed to be the third build from the Blade show handle material pick ups. Should be a #5!!!!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#167984 - 01/23/18 03:23 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I spoke to Guido this morning. He was wondering if I was alright. I said yes...and asked him why he asked. "Because, Gumba, I hear nothing from you"...was his response. I assured him I was OAK and that hunting season, along with order scheduling, etc., etc. was taking up all of time.

Oh, I figured it was just another bear hibernating for the winter. smile

#167985 - 01/23/18 03:27 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: RamKingJC]
Knife Enthusiast

Correct Ramking:
This material is plenty big enough for even the largest and longest Model #5. Because of this, I ask for the initial vote to concentrate on a 5, 6, 7 or 8 inch version of the Bradford Angier Camp & Trail Model. The diminutive Model #5-4 inch will be reserved for another build at another time.
If someone is reading this who is fairly new to our forum, here's what's about to happen. We (all of usn's on this forum site) are going to build a camping knife, by committee. We will discuss each and every option and will have a vote in deciding which way the build travels and gets constructed. The majority (or winner) of each voted upon option, etc. will be included in the build and we will move to the next step in determining the final outcome of this great knife!
One feature has already been voted on, with that vote being completed around July-August of last year. That vote was to use Amboyna Burl wood for the handle. That is "all" that has been decided. Much, much more work to do.
At the end of the build, when all features have been decided, we will call for your "lucky number" entry, after which I will pull a random number from a computer-generated site. That number's winner gets first refusal to purchase this Camper at catalog price with a "less-than-a-year" wait! If that person selected does not want to buy the knife (which recently happened)...please state your decision and I'll generate another winner.
The build will be done, one step at a time, in the same manner that I would write up an order for my blade list. Starting with the blade material and finishing at the butt end of this knife.
OK: Enough of all of the explainin'...Let's get on with it! Who's "IN"??
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#167986 - 01/23/18 03:39 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'm in.... Go BIG or go home... #5-8"!!!

#167987 - 01/23/18 03:48 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: RamKingJC]
spark42 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
I'm in Capt.
Good to see Guide is still around and messing with you.

Dennis
RKS #4298
RKCC #CM057

#167988 - 01/23/18 03:51 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: RamKingJC]
Knife Enthusiast

I hear ya' James! Everyone needs to post their preference and, if possible photos to back it up or an explanation as to why they think a (5,6,7,or8) would be best. As James and others who frequent this forum already know, I use a #3-5" and a #5-5" an awful lot..."BUT"...(Aahhh: Got that in early)...I "hunt"! If I were using my model #5 as a "strictly camping" knife, I may want to switch it up and go longer.
It will be interesting to see how this build will go. The Model #5 offers as many blade lengths as any individual model...(Model 2 as well).
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-A.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-B.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-C.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-D.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#167989 - 01/23/18 04:00 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My 2 favorite Randall's.... hands down!

#167990 - 01/23/18 04:11 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: RamKingJC]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
I vote for a 6 inch blade, not too small, not too big, just right, ( at least for me).

#167993 - 01/23/18 05:44 PM Re: Amboyna Camper/Blade Build [Re: Brent]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I'ma gonna vote for the big boy, 5-8.

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod