Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107749 - 01/29/13 11:55 PM Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) ***
Kenstix Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BCC, Arizona
Hello All , I am Really glad to be here & I think it's way overdue. I'm sure I know some of You & will be Glad to meet more of You. One of the main reasons for joining is to help educate/enlighten on the misunderstood Recipes and characteristics of W~house M. Those who know Me that if on the phone , I can get us both in trouble for making it a Very long conversation, my Gal tells me to keep it shorter smile

#107750 - 01/30/13 12:13 AM Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Kenstix]
Kenstix Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lets Start with Vintage Westinghouse Ivorite (Paper based M.)
That I know of the 60's and 70's paper (which i have in 1/4" & 3/8") was not the later Recipe as these 3/8" that i will show in Pic. This Ivorite (the very sought after since) was produced probably right around 1980 to 95 from Westinghouse and Very similar from Intl. Paper from 1995 (when they purchased the Micarta Division fr: W-H. (more on I-Paper later posting) there's Clarification tremendously needed on I-P's wonderful Micarta as well. In a Nutshell The 60's - 70 (What's called Ivorite was in fact White Paper) Ages more Caramelish like on some of the Older Mr. Bowles scrim knives. the Later Ivorite (Ivory Paper)Recipe I mentioned 1980-ish to 95 or later, will be Ivory inside and Age to the Lemony Yellow 80ish ~ 95' at least. It is NOT the 1st. Old Yellar" much to the Contrary - the 1st. was on Airplane Props in the 40's wwII era & it was Paper (A~G).So Actually Micarta was made for Comm./Industrial purposes and accidentally this Recipe became a Decorative/Cosmetic (Highly sought) Later. Then the Industrials , such as Insulation & Gears, etc. came. Later the Pure Decoratives such as Ivorite (Not White Paper but Ivorite, as Ant. Gold/ Yellow) were evolving & that, they Did. I'll also show the Ivory Linen in Pic as well. A Decorative Pressed on 36" Square Press Only. I've written articles on the subject of Westinghouse for a Knife Newsletter. I'll stop here for Now, but Glad to be here amongst You folks. Not sure if I can upload Pics.
Thanks , Ken D.

Edited by Kenstix (01/30/13 01:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Typos

#107751 - 01/30/13 01:20 AM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Kenstix]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
Is this the same Kenstix from Downey, CA that sells "Westinghouse Micarta" on Ebay?

If so, I purchased some of your "yellow" micarta. I remember the photos on Ebay showing an absolutely beautiful piece of micarta (almost white in appearance....as with the "real" Westinghouse Old Yellow when it was brand new). Unfortunately, the stuff I purchased started to turn cat-crap brown within days--absolute junk.

The fellow on Ebay misrepresented the material in the item description and on the telephone. But, I was the fool. Caveat Emptor!

#107752 - 01/30/13 01:41 AM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Doug74]
Kenstix Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If it was purchased from me , It was Absolutely Not misrepresented. Some Vintage Ant. Ivory or Old Brown Linens, (which I do still sell) can Age pretty Rapidly. Maybe You thought You were buying Antique Gold Micarta. Myself, I would Never Intentionally Sell a Non-Decorative such as those 2 Recipes as A-Gold. Education is the Key, Ken

#107753 - 01/30/13 01:41 AM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Doug74]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Case in point (item details/photos speak volumes):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-Old-Brown-We...=item460c500d58

"Same material used on Vietnam Era Randalls"........highly unlikely.

#107754 - 01/30/13 01:45 AM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Kenstix]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Kenstix
If it was purchased from me , It was Absolutely Not misrepresented. Some Vintage Ant. Ivory or Old Brown Linens, (which I do still sell) can Age pretty Rapidly. Maybe You thought You were buying Antique Gold Micarta. Myself, I would Never Intentionally Sell a Non-Decorative such as those 2 Recipes as A-Gold. Education is the Key, Ken

Oh, it was clearly sold as being "yellow"......"brown" never entered the equation.....EVER.

Best wishes to you sir....I've said my peace.

#107755 - 01/30/13 01:54 AM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Doug74]
Kenstix Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Well Doug , maybe it sounds "Highly Unlikely" but it's a Fact & the Sheet/Block that comes out of the Bins I dig through, have been sitting in there for 30 - 40 years and I literally Wash them off with Dishsoap to get the engrained Dust + Dirt off of them. I've only had 1 source ever for these 2 recipes. The only highly unlikely thing about it was ending up with that source. All one has to do is Look through My Feedback and Verify All the Randall people and Custom builders that Put a Stamp on the Material ~ It Speaks for itself. We coordinate many Rare & Beautiful Randall builds continuously with Great success. Ken

Edited by Kenstix (01/30/13 11:38 AM)

#107795 - 01/31/13 12:38 PM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Kenstix]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Hi Ken,
Glade to see you here.
But ... I have to tell you, I bought this from you a while ago ... can't find a record ...
maybe 2010??
Anyway ... I sent it to a Randall Dealer who has been in the Randall "world" for a long time. He's trustworthy and knows
his stuff. He recommended that I not use this for a handle as it was inferior and would change colors over time.
Has this happened to others?

Attachments
------eBay#300305917745$46.00.JPG

------eBay#3003052557717$56.99.JPG

RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#107799 - 01/31/13 02:12 PM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Would you be able to get me a block of the old brown canvas micarta from the Vietnam era 14s?

What would the cost be? I want to use it for a 14 build.

#107862 - 02/01/13 10:13 PM Re: Westinghouse Micarta (Starting with Ivorite) [Re: Leatherman]
boardrider Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Malibu CA, USA
Ben, I got a block from Ken about a year ago for a 14 build it is a perfect match to some period brown micarta knives I own. He sent me some small pices that I used to compare with some real 1960 brown micarta ...chose one ...he cut to RMK specks and the knife built looks right out of the 60s Very happy
G Snyder RKS #63
RKCC

"REMEMBER, YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG BY COLLECTING OR OWNING THE BEST"

http://www.knife-collectibles.com

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod