Miles Swelze James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164711 - 09/18/17 08:10 PM The term "collectible"
Yonder Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL
In reference to a Randall knife, what is the consensus on these questions? Are only new knives collectible? Does a used knife make it undesirable or not collectible? Obviously a WWII knife with provenance is supremely collectible. Does a newer used knife take a drastic drop in value? I think I'm getting my question conveyed. Thanks.

#164712 - 09/18/17 08:34 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: Yonder]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Rod,

This question comes up often and there's no correct answer.
There is no one size fits all answer; hopefully you will find that on your own. Bottom line, collect what turns you on and at the end of the day that's all that matters. They're all collectable; the value is what it means to you. Hope that helps.

#164714 - 09/18/17 09:24 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: W Polidori]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Well said!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#164715 - 09/18/17 09:39 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: W Polidori]
Yonder Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL
You validated my thinking. Thanks.

#164716 - 09/18/17 09:55 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: Yonder]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't collect old knives, I've only owned 2.
And by people that collect the old ones my 2 aren't old.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#164717 - 09/18/17 10:26 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: Chief]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
And the two I know you have are awesome dude.

#164718 - 09/18/17 11:35 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: W Polidori]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#164742 - 09/19/17 05:53 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: crutchtip]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I really don't consider myself a collector
More of
An accumulator
Remember all our Treasures will rust and tarnish
My Gold is in Heaven
but its nice the have the right tool for the job
Sharpi

#165173 - 09/30/17 09:25 AM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: Sharpi]
djefferis Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
The term "collectible" never really bothered me with anything...people collect any and everything these days. Guys collect beer cans, bottle tops, barbed wire - you name it.

Collectible just means someone finds it desirable and wants to own it. It does not imply high value, or even that something is worth more than when it sold as new.

As to the question - does use of a new knife impact value - immediately, yes...simply put there are too many "as new" knives to compare against offered for sale to expect a buyer to not pay less. Give me the choice of a mint example and a well cared for used example at the same price..I'm going for mint...I can make a mint condition model look used but cared for, but not the opposite.

Old knives - different story in general - finding a 30-40 year old model in "mint" is tough - finding cared for used is less challenging in general. Randall's have never been "cheap" - so just like any high end item, users tend to treat them with respect overall - of course there are the users who didn't - but again, a well built product withstands the punishment better.

Agree with sentiments expressed above - buy what you love, hold it forever and you'll never lose a nickel or have a moment of regret. Resale is for flippers - and prices are for buyer/sellers - if you buy only keepers neither of these are factors.

#165399 - 10/10/17 09:49 PM Re: The term "collectible" [Re: djefferis]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: djefferis
Old knives - different story in general - finding a 30-40 year old model in "mint" is tough - finding cared for used is less challenging in general. Randall's have never been "cheap" - so just like any high end item, users tend to treat them with respect overall - of course there are the users who didn't - but again, a well built product withstands the punishment better.

Have not posted in a long while, view occasionally.

I have USED a bunch of Randall Knives over the years, probably have a couple of "collectible knives", but I will finish by saying I have never ABUSED a Randall Knife or any knife for that matter. A Knife is a tool for many, like me.
Tom V.

Moderator:  Mr_Mod