dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156735 - 02/17/17 09:03 AM Ross Allen
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I can't remember which Randall model Ross Allen carried and what options. As a kid, I once bought a yellow rat snake from him with birthday money.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#156738 - 02/17/17 10:10 AM Re: Ross Allen [Re: pappy19]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Mike

There is a long thread about this subject on this Forum. I looked and found this:http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124293&page=2

I don't know if you can open it or not. If you go to a search engine and type knifetalkforums.com ross allen, it should take you to the thread on this Forum.

It was a Model 3-7, I think.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” — Nelson Mandela

#156739 - 02/17/17 10:25 AM Re: Ross Allen [Re: rodbrown]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Here you go: Ross Allen thread
RKS #4233

#156740 - 02/17/17 10:47 AM Re: Ross Allen [Re: TAH]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
That thread looks to have left things hanging concerning which model or models he owned/used. To be continued ....?

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#156744 - 02/17/17 02:28 PM Re: Ross Allen [Re: JE6245]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Which knife did Ross Allen own/carry/use? There appear to be two schools of thought. The RMK catalog states that Mr. Allen carried a Model 5. There is, however, also an advertisement for the "Ross Allen Special" which appears to show a photo of a Model 3-7". This RMK or dealer ad is reproduced on page 2 of the "Ross Allen" thread on this site (link above).

I did some digging and found additional information which may help clarify the situation (or not).

As per the RMK catalog, Mr. Allen carried a Model 5. Some folks have commented/opined that it was believed to be a 5-6".

The ad, however, depicts what looks to be a Model 3-7" with stag handle and finger grooves, and describes it as a "Ross Allen Special".

I located some pertinent information on another knife blog (i.e., Blade Forums). Page 27 of the "Show Us Your Randalls" thread features a posting from a woman whose husband worked for Mr. Allen in Silver Springs in the early 1960s. She posted photos of an RMK with sheath and grey stone, seeking an ID of the knife model (sorry, but my photo transfer skills are virtually non-existent, else I'd copy the photos to here). The knife looks to be a Model 3-7" with stag handle and finger grooves. Here are her comments:

"Can anyone help with a model designation for this Randall? Ross Allen gave it to my husband when he worked for Ross at Silver Springs, about 1962 - 1964. He wore it when he presented shows at the 1964 World's Fair, and used it extensively when hunting deer and hogs here in Fl. The blade is 7 inches, overall length is 12 inches. Both the knife and sheath have the Randall logo, the sharpening stone is the original."

The consensus among the forum members was that the knife was a RMK Model 3-7".

She later noted that,

"There were no numbers on either the sheath or on the knife itself, just "Randall Made, Orlando, Florida". I'm thinking you're right about it being a Model 3, but Ross must have had it customized with the finger grooves. He had them made for all the guys who did lecturing for him way back then, and they were all alike."

The knife pictured in the photos certainly looks like the "Ross Allen Special" shown in the RMK ad.

So maybe Mr. Allen owned and used BOTH a Model 3 and a Model 5?
Or maybe the Model 5 was his field knife, and the flashier "Ross Allen Special" Model 3 was his show knife?
Or maybe the Model 5 was his personal knife, and the "Ross Allen Special" Model 3 was used solely to reward his top associates/employees?

It would be interesting to know whether Mr. Allen ordered his knives directly from RMK or through a dealer. If the latter, it is certainly easy to visualize an enterprising dealer, after processing orders for several identical Model 3 RMKs, taking it upon himself to christen the thusly configured Model 3 as the "Ross Allen Special" in an effort to capitalize on Mr. Allen's fame and drum up additional business. Count me in...here's my check for $35!

It would also be interesting to know whether the "Ross Allen Special" advertisement is an RMK ad or a dealer (authorized or not) ad? Has anyone made a determination of this?

Edited by rfcarlin (02/17/17 02:30 PM)
RKCC #622

#156790 - 02/17/17 10:43 PM Re: Ross Allen [Re: rfcarlin]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow, I really appreciate all of your research on the Ross Allen Randall knife. In his day, Ross Allen was a very famous Florida individual that added to the mystery of Florida wilderness and wild life. It looks like you have the Model 3 nailed, but I am still interested in knowing about the Model 5. Any relatives still living with the knife itself?

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#156826 - 02/18/17 12:11 PM Re: Ross Allen [Re: pappy19]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Pap, it was fun digging into it. I love a historical mystery. And I loved your posting about buying a yellow rat snake from Mr. Allen, how it was shipped, and how cranky the snake was when it came out of the crate.

There is a great deal written about Mr. Allen, but very little about the specific knife model(s) that he used (though most note that he did use a Randall knife).

Mr. Allen certainly sounds like he was quite a naturalist and showman.

I was at the 1964 World's Fair on many occasions in the summer of '64 and I have a vague memory of seeing a reptile show; just this morning I found a photo on line of the "Ross Allen Reptile Show" at the '64 World's Fair, so maybe I saw Mr. Allen or one of his associates. I was most enthralled by the Sinclair Dinoland display and the little vacu-plastic machine that molded plastic dinosaur figures for you on the spot.

On one of the knife blogs that I read, a member suggested reaching out to Mr. Allen's children and asking about the knife that he used. I didn't see anything written about whether he followed through with it, or what the result was.

If I can dig up anything else, I'll let you know.
RKCC #622

#156828 - 02/18/17 02:13 PM Re: Ross Allen [Re: rfcarlin]
Buckspen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Sometime in the 1950's when I was about 13 years old, I traveled by myself via Greyhound bus from Northern Kentucky to Ocala, Florida to visit my uncle, aunt and three cousins. My Uncle Ben (my mother's older brother) managed a Western Auto store there. Uncle Ben was an outdoorsman and we did a lot of fishing and boating. I remember going to Silver Springs and seeing Ross Allen do one of his shows. I was interested in the reptiles but was more interested in the incredibly clear water of Silver Springs which allowed me to see the huge Largemouth Bass that the area was (and maybe still is) known for. Uncle Ben carried and used a sheath knife when we were fishing, but I don't remember what kind it was. I guess the highlight of the trip was finding a coral snake in the vacant lot across the road from my uncle's home!

- - Buckspen

#156829 - 02/18/17 02:23 PM Re: Ross Allen [Re: rfcarlin]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The Captain or maybe Dubie might know something about Ross Allen's kids.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#156831 - 02/18/17 04:19 PM Re: Ross Allen [Re: pappy19]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Bob, Just down the road from me is the Weeki Wachee Springs attraction, and they still have that old plastic dinosaur maker that you recall from the Worlds Fair!
ta2bill@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod