My Custom Wrist Thong Project

Posted by: TAH

My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:41 AM

Over the years, I have seen photos of a few old Randalls (mostly from the 40s & 50s) with leather wrist thongs that were a little wider than the typical 1/8" leather lace that was commonly used. I suppose the wider thongs appeal to me because I know you can't just go buy one in a store. They were probably hand cut, which makes them a little more unique and personal. The wrist thong on Mitchell's awesome Zacharias Fighter is a good example.

So, I decided to make a trip to our local leather shop and find a piece of leather to make my own. I knew I wanted to cut the thong to 3/16" wide, so the trick was finding leather that was thin enough to pass through the thong hole and accept an overhand knot, yet thick enough to be functionally strong and not stretch. Of course, finding the right color was important too. After a long search in the scrap bins, I found the perfect piece of leather! I took it home, cut it to width and length, oiled it, sealed it, and tied it on. Now it just needs 74 years of hard use and sweat to look as good as Mitchell's Zacharias wrist thong. Thanks for reading! smile

Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:44 AM

Now THAT was an awesome idea, and it looks FANTASTIC! Well done Tom.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:58 AM

Thanks James! It was a simple project, but really came down to finding the right piece of leather.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:59 AM

I like it and plan to try the a similar approach with my #3 -7" FIGHTER...

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 10:47 AM

Here's another wide wrist thong. This time it looks like buckskin might have been used.

Posted by: JE6245

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 02:43 PM

I like what you came up with better than the buckskin and definitely better than the quarter-inch stuff. Nice job.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 04:19 PM

Thanks Jim! Not sure about the width of the Zacharias thong, but I think it looks good with the size of the handle. smile
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 06:56 PM

Very nice Tom. Outstanding cutting job on that leather. How did you cut it so even?
Posted by: Chief

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 07:38 PM

I'm gonna guess a straight edge and a razor knife?
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 07:40 PM

OUTSTANDING Tom!
Posted by: Eric

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 07:41 PM

Hopefully he used a Randall.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 07:45 PM

TAILOR KNIFE!!!!!

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone! It was a fun little project. As for how I cut it?

Chief wins! smile

Originally Posted By: Chief
I'm gonna guess a straight edge and a razor knife?
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:08 PM

Tom,

I believe I only have one knife, an 11-4.5 with a rawhide lanyard. Got it years ago and at the time didn't know it was original. Good for you on the project, it's all good.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:16 PM

Thanks Warren. Seeing some of your collection here on the forum, I'm sure your Model 11 is a beauty.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 09:59 PM

Tom,

Here you go, with old brown as a bonus.

Again at the time didn't know rawhide lanyards were the time at the day. In any event small window and hope it contributes to your thread.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 11:17 PM

Rawhide lanyard or not, that is one tasty #11. Man oh Man!!

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/20/16 11:47 PM

Pat,

One of only two old brown micarta 11's I know exist. Joe D. Has the other. This one has a rawhide lanyard I never knew existed.
Posted by: Duke

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 12:25 AM

Great Thread Tom. Guess I can add a couple of pics......with their story. These pics. have an Uncle Henry I've owned since about '75. During a week long hunting/camping/walking trip in 1977 my WWII & Korean War vet buddy/very close friend braided that leather thong onto my Unc. Henry as we sat by the fire on the 3rd evening out, sharing a quart, fresh venison backstraps and tales.
The Randall #8 was the 2nd one I ever purchased, has gone on every hunt since, is my favorite for many reasons, has a close twin I gave to my son in the woods to field dress his first buck (carried it in my pack 2seasons without him knowing). I bought it from Perry @ Spaceport; had bought my 1st Randall from from Rhett at his Meadows of Dan store.
They are laying on top of a leather guitar strap a tailor made for me in '72 so that heavy Les Paul wouldn't keep falling off.
I miss all those men.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 07:50 AM

hay Warren....don't forget about me....
:-)Rocky
Posted by: tunefink

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 07:51 AM

Tom, the thong on the Zack is pretty variable in width from 3/16 to 5/16".

This knife has always been a favorite of mine. It's an earlier chain link fighter based on the thinner hilt and butt cap. The sheath is a V.L.&A. supplied pancake with some owner applied leather.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 11:47 AM

I love the butterfly weave on Dukes & Tune's knives, looks like Tune has some square weave as well. Nice look I may have to make some for mine.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 11:57 AM

Warren, great looking Model 11 from tip to butt and the rawhide lanyard is the icing on the cake.

Duke, your friend did a great job on the Uncle Henry lanyard and good memories to go with it. I like that everything in your photo has a story.

Rocky, what's the story on that knife?

Mitchell, I've said it before, that is one of the coolest lanyards EVER! I wish I could braid like that.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 03:57 PM

I've tried a straight edge and a razor knife and I can't get it to look like that.
So guess again Chief.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 03:59 PM

Tom did you clamp the leather down and then cut?
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 05:34 PM

Tom,
My dad had that knife...it's been posted here a few times...nobody really knows....altered for sure, by who? who knows, not that it makes much difference at this point...the brown micarta is the only thing that makes it "special". It's been well used, by my dad, or the guy he got it from....no way to know.
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Duke

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 05:47 PM

I still have a very clear memory of him meticulously cutting each "V" in the leather with the tip of his CASE 6165L by campfire light, using a cut-butt oak stump for the table, as he talked of the Pacific at age 17 during '44-'45.......& only looking up to sip clear, cold, sweet "H2O"out of a pint Mason jar. And the wear, deer/gobbler/?? blood, sweat, mud & whatever else of 35+ years make it look like it does today. Pretty easy style to duplicate.......:-).....

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/21/16 06:59 PM

Ronnie I usually clamp the straight edge down onto the leather.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/22/16 04:22 PM

Ok thanks.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/24/16 09:53 AM

Ronnie,

I just laid the leather on a wood cutting board and used a razor knife, steel ruler, and downward hand pressure. It was pretty easy to cut because the leather is only about 1/16" thick. For the most part, the razor cut through the leather on the first pass.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/24/16 08:18 PM

I have cut leather before with a ruler and razor knife. I did not clamp it down and so I always screwed it up.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/24/16 09:13 PM

If you have a 2 foot carpenters square they work great.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/25/16 08:50 PM

That's just it Chief. I don't have the proper tools. I'm not a carpenter nor a mechanic and I wish that I was.

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/25/16 09:16 PM

Ronnie,
Come on buddy, if you can figure out how to post pics on an IPad, you can cut straight lines. Now there, as the TV Asian guy with the knives says "you can do it".

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/25/16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie
That's just it Chief. I don't have the proper tools. I'm not a carpenter nor a mechanic and I wish that I was.

Then get as thin a razor blade as you can. sometime a razor knife blade can be to thick so that it rips & pulls the leather.
A exacto knife or single edge razor blade like for box cutters will cut it without pulling it.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/28/16 11:44 AM

The Olfa knives are pretty good...
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/28/16 11:58 AM

Yes, this work with strap is a great! smile

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/28/16 01:58 PM

Ronnie,

You could also use a strap cutter...

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/28/16 02:04 PM

Tailor Knife... Randalls helping Randalls.... it's the circle of life!

Re: My Custom Wrist Thong Project - 10/28/16 06:05 PM

That'swat I need Tom.
Next trip to Tandy I will invest in one.