Popcorn Stag

Posted by: W Polidori

Popcorn Stag - 08/10/16 10:26 PM

Rocky gave me a great idea from another thread. Some here recently have posted some knives with exceptional "popcorn stag", you know the gnarly bumpy handles. It would be fun to see more in the same thread. I'm going to start this one off with an awesome popcorn crown stag handle material that the Captain is going to make into a 12-11 Heavy.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/10/16 11:48 PM

A 12-11 Heavy!!!! Ha I better go find a 11-4 so we can trade!! grin
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 07:58 AM

I've had this piece for a few years...
trying to figure out a project...I think I have a pretty good idea at this point, but it could change....
:-)Rocky
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 08:16 AM

Here's a Bearcamp with some nice 'popcorn'!
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 08:25 AM

Whoa...........

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 08:40 AM

Rocky,

Whatever you decide to go with it'll be a great knife. That is a killer piece of stag.

Mike,
Awesome Bearcamp Special. Thanks for posting.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 08:45 AM

Here's a 3-5 and a 23 I recently posted in the Fat Stag thread. These qualify for this thread.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 08:51 AM

Here's a 14 that I got re-acquainted with after parting ways several years ago. Got it back from Mike Webb at Blade this year. We both owned this knife twice.
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 09:12 AM

Mike, that is a great looking knife and super stag. What Model is that Knife? grind?
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 09:15 AM

Mike

Love that BearCamp. Does it have a serial number on it? Thanks for posting.

I always thought a BearCamp would make a great Dealer's Special.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 09:38 AM

Rocky,
I'd make a #6-9", Large Filet Knife, outta' that piece, directing the shop as to exactly "which" way" to position the stag handle on the knife!
Just sayin'...Capt. Chris
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 09:38 AM

Looks like a #5 with teeeeeeth.... the way they used to before switching to a combat Companion... so maybe a #5-5''

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
Mike

Love that BearCamp. Does it have a serial number on it? Thanks for posting.

I always thought a BearCamp would make a great Dealer's Special.

It's S/N 45.
Posted by: rfcarlin

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 12:14 PM

That's a great looking (and rare) knife Mike, and the popcorn stag complements the blade just about perfectly.

The blade profile looked more like a Combat Companion to my (novice) eye than a Model 5-5". I thought I remembered reading one of Rhett's Randall Lore postings which discussed the BCS base models, and so I tracked it down. Here is what he said, in pertinent part:

"The rest of the story. I just talked to Peter Stebbins this morning and he made only 50 of the Bear Camp Specials. There will be no more made by Peter.

No exact numbers here but he said about the first 25 knives they were Model 5's with sawteeth. The second half of the BCS knives were the Combat Companion model as Randall stopped putting sawteeth on the Model 5 -5" and it was necessary to change models to get the sawteeth."

As an aside, has anyone considered compiling a survey of BCS knives to see how many exist of each blade profile and handle material?

As a second aside, any though about a forum topic collecting all of Rhett's Randall Lore columns? They contain some great information not readily available elsewhere. I've started to compile them from various on-line sources, the only problem being that the photos have dropped off the post if it originally had pics. If there is any interest, I can start by posting what I've compiled to date.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 12:23 PM

Here is one that sold recently after being listed on ebay for a long time.

EBAY ITEM # 122048059036

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Here is one that sold recently after being listed on ebay for a long time.

EBAY ITEM # 122048059036

Bill - did a search of that # and came up empty??

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 01:49 PM

I have two Bob & both are the later blade style. My other is in the ivorite/white micarta.
Its S/N is 33.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 02:11 PM

Go to advanced search, then sold listings and type it in.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 02:12 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-Bearcamp-Special-/122048059036?hash=item1c6aa1969c%3Ag%3A0poAAOSwiwVWRe9I&nma=true&si=pRX9ort2UigdNmqTQCV13LkwG9o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Posted by: Buckspen

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 02:13 PM

Mike - The one on eBay had yellow micarta handle, sawteeth and a smooth back sheath. It was #24, I think.
I don't know how that one got past me. I sure would have liked to bid on it.
I have BCS #5 (see photo).
- Buckspen

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 02:26 PM

If everyone would like, I'll start a new "Bearcamp Special" thread on out main forum so as not to sidetrack this "Popcorn" thread any further>
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 02:33 PM

That would be fine. It would be nice to move these comments, especially where Bob asked about keeping track of each one. Maybe even under the Model 1-28 heading?

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 03:02 PM

Found it - I think I passed at the min. bid level of $1195.
I now remember seeing it.
Posted by: rfcarlin

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:02 PM

Sorry, did not mean to derail the popcorn thread. Bill's idea of a new BCS thread under the Models would be great.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:17 PM

So as to "Right-The-Ship"...How about this? Does it qualify?
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:22 PM

Nice, better not let Chief see it

This is about a good as I have

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:26 PM

Cap & Peter,

Yeah that qualifies, lol. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting guy’s. Got to more out ther, keep looking.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:34 PM

I really need to upgrade these photos..."BUT"...Here's one with "The Story"...Sorry...
...It was in 1986 and I was browsing through the photo boards in the "old" shop/museum. I came across a photo of one of my best friends, Don Zaccagnino. "Zack" as he (and his knives) were called was seated behind his table at the first Knifemakers Guild Show".
Bo happened to walk by, as always at a brisk walk, carrying the bulk load of mail back to Ms. Landing. He offered me a "good morning" and I to him, in return. I told him I was impressed with the picture of my good friend Zack. Bo mentioned to me that he thought Zack was one of the finest knifemakers he had ever seen! He also said he would "like to get one of his (Zack's) knives for the museum"..."In fact (Bo said) I would like to get one of every Florida knifemaker's knives for my museum."
Well: Don't cha' know: On my next trip into the shop I gave Bo one of Zack's "Glades hunters". "Nope! I can't take that from you. David (Bo shouted out for Dave Griffin)..."David"...get the Captain a #21 from the back room and get it ready for him to take with him, right now".
Well, Dave had that little knife ready-to-go in about 5 minutes. Bo Randall traded me that #21 for my Zack! BUT: That's not the end of the story...(Never said it was gonna' be short!)
I went back into Bo's office and told him how grateful I was and asked him to sign the sheath for me. He did so without one moment's hesitation. I have a lot of Randall knives in my collection. This is one that will "NEVER" be sold!
Hope you like it, Capt. Chris
* Popcorn, tear-dropped stag, JRB sheath...CCS

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:38 PM

That story was awesome to hear IN the museum!!! And also awesome to read with pictures to go with it. Thanks for the share Capt.!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:39 PM

You know I remember that knife in a different post (could be Knife of the Week 21) but I don't know if you told the story at the time. I'd say that's a keeper, great stag too. Is Don's knife still in the museum?

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:45 PM

Yes, Warren. It's still there! It took me a couple of visits to locate it. What is "not" there anymore was the tag on Zack's knife, reading: Received from Chris Stanaback/ Trade for #21 (or something like that)...
Oh well. I know where it came from. That's all that counts.
Capt. Chris

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:48 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics and the story Cap. That's what makes this forum great!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:53 PM

Found one with just a little pop left in the corn. It was a sweet knife. Got this from Gary Clinton.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Thanks for sharing the pics and the story Cap. That's what makes this forum great!

That is EXACTLY what makes this forum great!!!!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 06:41 PM

Jesus Capt....I guess it does!!!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
So as to "Right-The-Ship"...How about this? Does it qualify?
Best, Capt. Chris

sold I'll take it....literally!!!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 07:11 PM

No really sell me that 19!!!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 07:22 PM

Yeah! And sell ME that 14 Warren!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Yeah! And sell ME that 14 Warren!

Not a chance Bill. I let it go once and got a second chance at Blade. Lol, I bought it twice from Mike Webb. True story we both bought that knife twice. Captain Chris can confirm.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 09:29 PM

It's a good damned thing I'm an honest, by God, Authorized Randall knife dealer. When I first saw it, had I not been, Webb would have never had it to buy, sell or trade...Let alone "twice"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/11/16 09:35 PM

Thanks twice Cap. I think you had your eyes on it this year once again. This is a fairy tale story.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 08:49 PM

Here's the best I can do as far as popcorn stag goes. Had to dig this one from the depths. Forgot how sweet this six option deuce is.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 08:51 PM

That Deuce is an Ace in my book!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 08:58 PM

There you go Pat, great popcorn, enjoy the movie.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:13 PM

Not sure if this qualifies as popcorn but here goes!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:19 PM

Steve,

If it's got bumps It's popcorn to me. Yes it is as far as I'M concerned. It's very deeply cut and quite beautiful. Thanks for posting a really great example.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:24 PM

Trying to organize.... resize.... photos.... in between 2 in college.... mow/edge/pool/cook a steak.... listen to zydeco...be normal.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:33 PM

Popcorn or not, that's one awesome looking 27, Man, I like that one!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:42 PM

This is not popcorn per definition, but this crown sure looks like a piece of popcorn!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:45 PM

I'll start a crown stag thread next Bill. I got lots of them. Lol

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/12/16 10:51 PM

lol.... You and me both!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 07:16 AM

looks like a "glades" to me....

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 10:53 AM

OK folks,
This is the only Nordic Special in "The Captain's Stash"! Beautiful popcorn stag,a brown-stitched sheath and a low serial number(37), this has to be quite early in Dave Harvey's run of his "2nd" dealer special. Hope you like it. I kept it for "all-of-the-above" reasons.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: For those that "don't like brass"...Why?..CCS

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 11:06 AM

Sweet one, Cap. and brass is great as long as all the furniture is brass. Same with NS.. I do not like AL. buttcaps.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrdguy
Sweet one, Cap. and brass is great as long as all the furniture is brass. Same with NS.. I do not like AL. buttcaps.

I am with Pat on this 1. It's ALL gotta match.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 11:29 AM

Brass and red spacers are a really nice look!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 11:57 AM

Yeah, James. I also kind of like a handle heavy knife with a brass or NS buttcap.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 12:00 PM

I will find out about a brass buttcap feel around this time mext Saturday when I see the Captain in Orlando.... we shall see.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 01:36 PM

Yowza, nice knife Cap, thanks for posting that one.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 08:24 PM

Only popcorn stag I have is still connected. All are Michigan White tail.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 08:28 PM

Eric,

Very cool, you need a building permit for a new addition.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 08:33 PM

Warren, Plenty of room left. My nephew is trying to get the whitest skull possible. His latest attempt.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 08:36 PM

Yikes.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 08:38 PM

Ya got the right idea with the beer cooler, I'll come visit I have a smaller version.......a Patron' machine LOL.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 08:49 PM

Chief, The Beer-meister is a well used must. I love Tequilla and am a Don Julio fan, but Patron works just as well especially from a machine. Eric
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/13/16 09:38 PM

OH DEER! grin wink
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Popcorn Stag - 08/14/16 06:34 AM

Eric,

Impressive and they tasted good too!

Tom Flynn

Re: Popcorn Stag - 09/05/16 04:00 PM

..................I just drug this one, into the daylight!!..................
Enjoy, Capt. Chris

Re: Popcorn Stag - 09/05/16 04:08 PM

Unusual crown stag Cap. Nice one.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 09/05/16 04:20 PM

Whoaaaa!!!! That's knarly stag!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 10/16/16 09:10 AM

Here's another crown stag piece. This time on a Model #6-9", Large Filet Model. Most of the "popcorn" is on the opposite side of the trademark.
Enjoy, Capt. Chris
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Popcorn Stag - 10/16/16 11:03 PM

Nice one Cap!!!!!!

Pap
Posted by: pepe

Re: Popcorn Stag - 10/17/16 11:22 PM

Here are a couple. Testing photo edit skills. Joe

Re: Popcorn Stag - 10/17/16 11:49 PM

Mission accomplished Joe. Popping good.

Re: Popcorn Stag - 03/12/17 04:38 PM

This Smithsonian just in this week. This could be the Mother of all Popcorn. I was happy the shop left this entire handle untouched except for dressing down the bald spot and finishing off the crown recess. What a beast; the crown is 3" in diameter. I keep asking myself what the rest of the rack looked like, and where is the other side?
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Popcorn Stag - 03/12/17 06:17 PM

WOW!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 03/12/17 06:26 PM

Awwww Sh!thell !!!!!

Re: Popcorn Stag - 03/13/17 10:04 AM

It's a good thing I didn't look at it before I sent it to you!
Nice, Capt. Chris

Re: Popcorn Stag - 03/13/17 10:20 AM

Lol, thank you Cap grin