Greg Wall Knives

Posted by: TAH

Greg Wall Knives - 08/27/16 04:03 PM

Greg sure must admire Randall knives. Here is his latest, a Fireman with an 18 handle.

Posted by: Lofty

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 08/27/16 05:41 PM

My question would be how well do they hold up? I know he brazes guard to ricasso, but is it soft solder or hard?

Is the tang a tight fit against tube wall?

My impression any epoxy on others such as Randall being only a filler to prevent stuck objects down in bottom, and believe even shop said as much.

He also quotes a far harder blade and wonder if chipping on hard used knives.

Trouble seems to be very very little out there for actual user reviews.

I like his stuff, and believe Harry Savage makes his sheaths, or did, and I very much like Harry's built-forever work. But I know far more about the sheaths over the knives.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 08/27/16 07:10 PM

I gave one of my grandsons a Wall Model 19 copy and he tried his best to break it but it is still one of his favorites.

Pap

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 08/27/16 07:24 PM

aha.....THANK YOU!!!....we former boys know even anvils not safe around us in our youths.

Wanted to add that Greg does his own homage to many classics of my youth, and I admire his work, especially that great photo.
Posted by: Stikman

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 08/27/16 09:20 PM

I made his sheaths for a little while.
Stikman

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/02/16 07:16 AM

Another interesting combo. #19 blade, #1 guard, #14 handle

Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/02/16 03:53 PM

Whoaaaaaaaaaa.... that's pretty damn cool Tom!
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/02/16 04:15 PM

Nice belly transition to the choil on the 19 inspired blade. Looks well made.

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/02/16 09:10 PM

I like his blade work. Tom, that stump gets around.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/02/16 10:05 PM

The Wall 19 I gave my grandson was stag slabs on a full tang. It was a well balanced knife. I don't have any pictures but will see if said grandson has it in Oklahoma where he is working.

Pap

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/03/16 07:45 AM

To clarify, I don't own any of Greg's knives, but I have to admit, they do intrigue me.

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/08/16 07:20 PM

Another...

Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/08/16 08:47 PM

Tom,

that model 1 with the 18 handle is cool looking. pretty good price and with a best offer option. might be the one to test it out and see if you like it.

max

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/08/16 11:10 PM

They intrigue me as well. Inspired by Randall but in no way identical in any manner, and might have him take on a "never gonna happen" Randall daydream or three.

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/09/16 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: maxpastor
Tom,

that model 1 with the 18 handle is cool looking. pretty good price and with a best offer option. might be the one to test it out and see if you like it.

max

Max,

If Greg ever makes a hollow handle Model 8 with a sculpted single guard, like the one at top right, I might be making a purchase. smile

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/09/16 04:51 PM

WoW, that model 8 is very unique. I see what you mean. I have never looked at his web site, and only Wall knives I've seen were fighters, so I don't really know what Greg makes or will make. Heck, I didn't know the handle wasn't hollow.

It appears you have been doing a little research wink

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/10/16 06:38 AM

Max,

The photo above was taken from Jack Crider's Green Catalog. That hollow handle Model 8 was made by Randall probably back in the 80s.

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/26/16 01:20 PM

I think Greg is eavesdropping. grin

A sculpted single guard and a hollow handle. Pretty cool looking...

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/26/16 02:29 PM

Tom,

that is nice. did you buy that one?

Greg does a good job on his knives. Does he have any of his own design? with his obvious talent, I would think he could produce a winner of his own.

max

Re: Greg Wall Knives - 09/26/16 08:00 PM

Max,

Nope, it was already sold. I really like the design, but I don't think that I could buy a knife that is basically a Randall copy. I agree, Greg has the talent to branch out on his own.