Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!!

Posted by: JesseEgnew

Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 10:40 AM

Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!!
This will mark the last of the Dealer Specials that I am aware of. A big thank you to all who have participated in these knife of the week threads it has been so cool for me to see all of the knives that would normally take a lifetime to see!
The following is a direct copy of a RKS thread (http://www.knifetalkforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=rmkontopic&Number=14956&Searchpage=3&Main=14940&Words=SASQUATCH&topic=&Search=true )

In 1991 Steve Weinograd, assistant manager of Stoddard's, and Tim Leival, also an employee, worked on the original design of the "Stoddard Special", which was submitted to Gary Randall. At the time, Tim was a reserve Lieutenant in the 11th Special Forces Group based at Fort Devons. It was their goal to come up with a design which would make a "carry" knife that would fill the needs of the noncommissioned officer in our armed forces. Besides actually providing a knife that would do the job, they also wanted to honor the personnel so vital to the continuing success of our military, the Non-Commissioned Officers Corps. This effort resulted in the knife, which has come to be known as Stoddard's Sergeant's Model.

The Randall Shop worked up the prototype on the basis of the #19-5" Bushmaster blade. This is a wide, heavy duty type blade designed to be a big game skinning knife. As the original design made its way through the prototype stage it evolved into a 5-1/2" blade with a 1-1/2" width of 1/4" 01 Swedish Tool Steel. The upper bevel was left unsharpened due to a section of the Massachusetts law concerning double edged knives. The resulting blade looks more like the #25 Trapper model than the Bushmaster due to the slightly clipped point and the large flat grind. To go along with the "useful tool" aspect of this model is the single hilt and the single finger grip handle.

Up to the present date, handle material is a choice of Desert Ironwood or Sunburst Briar, both of which are beautiful materials. The Sergeant's model is stamped "Stoddard's, Inc/Boston, MA-SN. #----" on the blade on the opposite side of the Randall logo. As of June, 1995, 118 of these knives have been produced. It seems only fitting for Randall Made Knives to 'oldest tool, the knife.

Ladies and Gentlemen: could we please see some Stoddards Specials!
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 11:45 AM

Here's a nickel silver hilt, aluminum spacers, nickel silver butt cap and elephant ivory handled Sgt.'s Special I grabbed up off eBay the morning that Stoddard's and RMK parted company:

Here's one that one was delivered to me after the breakup was announced but had already been ordered with fine silver hilt, sterling silver spacers, and fine silver butt cap with elephant ivory handle. It came compete with hairline crack down the center of the handle on the trademark side but I have a close friend who has a process for making the crack disappear. I cannot reveal any of the details but I will post the "after" shot when I get it back:

Stay tuned for further developments.

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: JesseEgnew

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 12:44 PM

WOW Sweet Stoddard's
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 01:15 PM

same as Doug's but one carved by David Warther, the other pure silver! Not lucky enough to have the crack removal technique applied to mine yet

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 01:29 PM

Here's mine!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 01:30 PM

Same Knife...at work!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 04:41 PM

Tony I have to say that if I could get one more it would be a stag Stoddards! Nice Knife Dude!!!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 06:56 PM

Provolone and pepperoni, now there's the breakfast of champions! Like Chief said, nice stag. By the way chief, that ivory on your silver Special is really pretty. Nice grain and color. You know that there are only two silver and ivory Sgt.'s specials right? Yours and mine.

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 07:18 PM

I remember worrying that they wouldn't make the cut off sure was close! Believe that we got the last 2 ivories?

See ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 08:34 PM

Yes, we did get the last 2. The gent we purchased them from had intended to order one for himself but never got around to it. He had purchased the silver but it was still sitting on his workbench when the news of the discontinuance was received. As they say, "timing is everything."

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 09:57 PM

what else will that set of silver fit?

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/03/08 10:23 PM

Most medium sized knives of 3/16" or 1/4" stock with a 4-1/2-6" blade.

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/04/08 09:33 AM

Chief, Doug,
Thanks!
But NOW I wish I had an Ivory-handled Stoddards
Nice Knives Guys!
Tony
Posted by: DUH120

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/04/08 12:06 PM

Heres my only one

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106089893
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/04/08 07:06 PM

Dick, nice Stoddard's Special!
Hate to be a spoil sport but you probably owe the RKS the $5 fee for promoting your auction.
Right Dubie?
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/04/08 07:53 PM

Correctetivo !!!

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: 1gunner

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/04/08 11:49 PM

Here's "four of a kind".

Tom #3081
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 08:03 PM

Hi guys
I was recently talking to Capt. Chris about the Whitetail Hunter Build I was picked for, and we got into a discussion about what I was looking for when I go to my first Blade Show this June. I mentioned that I wanted to find a Stoddard's Special, since I am trying to collect at least one of all of the dealer specials, and since this one is no longer made, they are not too common. I was pleasantly surprised when he said he had one for sale, I asked him to wrap it up with my #26 Pathfinder, and that a check would be on the way. Here is a picture of my sunburst briar Stoddard's Special, I will try to take some better pictures this weekend, but it is a great knife with great wood. I like great wood.
Peter
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 08:10 PM

Glad you're pleased with it Peter. It's a really nice piece. Good luck with it.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 09:32 PM

WHOA!!!!!!!
Classy looking Stoddard's Peter!
Congrats!
Tony
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 09:44 PM

Looks like the "perfect" Randall for all chores to me, and a beauty to boot. Super pick!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 10:11 PM

I just realized that I had never posted the pics of my cracked ivory Stoddard's Special after the crack was fixed. I did post this elsewhere but in case you missed it, here is how Rick Bowles made the crack go away.

Photo by Rick Bowles.

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 10:12 PM

NICE!!!!!!!!! One of my favorite Blades.

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 10:14 PM

Quote:

I just realized that I had never posted the pics of my cracked ivory Stoddard's Special after the crack was fixed. I did post this elsewhere but in case you missed it, here is how Rick Bowles made the crack go away.

Photo by Rick Bowles.

Regards,
Doug

Great idea wished I had thought to crack mine so I could get it scrimed Great knife!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/09/10 10:22 PM

No problem my brother. You want your Stoddard's cracked? Send it up here by air on Saturday. The temp is 34 degrees, it is snowing, and the air is dryer than than the hinges on the gates of hell. I promise you that it will crack the minute it gets within 300 miles of this weather forsaken place.

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/10/10 06:08 AM

Beautiful knife Peter. Cognrats on a great find.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/10/10 08:38 PM

Doug
Great Stoddard's and scrimshaw. It was very innovative to use the crack as part of the scene.
Here are a couple more pictures of mine in my light box.
Peter
Posted by: EDO

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/14/10 04:09 AM

Posted by: PATCH

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 04/21/10 07:47 AM

Hi guys,

Those are some great photos. I am extremely jeaulous as I have been trying to get my hands on a Stoddard's Special for some time now. While I was in college, we used to train at Fort Devons and I remember seeing the 11 SFG guys all around. I'm now at USSOCOM in Tampa, working with SOF again and to be able to get my hands on a knife designed by SF for SF would be awesome. Anyway, I just wanted to say you all are very lucky to have such a great knife.

Cheers,
Scott
Posted by: Daniele

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 05:56 AM

I've always wanted one Stoddard Special since I saw one in a magazine ... After a few years, I found one available for purchase. It Worth the wait. ..I m Very Happy With it.
Best,
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 09:56 AM

Very nice! Is this now the Sergeant's Model in the RMK non-catalogue catalogue?
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 11:45 AM

Yes it is, with a couple of noteworthy execptions:
* No blade etching
* Top bevel is sharp, as supposed to the Stoddards
* Sgt. is available in stainless
I was speaking with someone this week who told me he did not think the Stoddard was ever made available in stainless?? If someone knows differently, please post up ( & pics would be great)
Also: Being based out of Mass. the Stoddards Special was not available with the top bevel sharpened. (State restrictions)
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Cut it out

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 05:19 PM

I ordered my first sergants special from the captain!!! Really excited!! Love this design!!!
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 07:04 PM

Back before they quit carrying Randall's, Stoddard's had the knives in stock, Like a week turn over to Colorado. I like mine but wish the top bevel was sharpened. Might need to look into a Sergeants.
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 07:24 PM

I don't know how many were made but I had one on order when Stoddards quit selling them and almost didn't get it so I'm sure I got one of the last ones..#238

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/24/14 09:41 PM

Not available in stainless, I got the last ivory one made & asked if I could have it in stainless & was told that it had never been a option.

always liked that blade design!
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/25/14 08:18 AM

Chief, and others--

Stoddard's also told me it was not available in stainless--that RMK had forged a supply of blade blanks only in O1 tool steel.

I was also told I could not order one with ivory--however, later saw one or more on this forum with ivory.

I also supplied them a particular piece of Micarta (black and green) and a handle shape that I wanted--and got back a solid black and Single Finger Groove by somebody's "mistake." I assume the one I actually ordered was attractive to somebody who took it upon himself to switch it out when they shipped the knife to me. They swore that it was my Micarta and the handle shape that I had ordered!

By the way, if you have one with the unsharpened top bevel, RMK might sharpen it for you. Or if it is a user and you don't care whether it looks "factory" then you might try to sharpen it yourself.

Otherwise--best deal is to buy a new Sergeant's from RMK and have it made up the way you want it!

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/25/14 10:33 AM

Larry your woes are probably a big part of the reason as to why they aren't a dealer anymore.
As for not being able to get a Ivory handled one......all the ivories had to be ordered through David warther. I learned that through Doug aka Silverknife when asking him how he got one when Stoddard's said that they couldn't get me one.
Was a frustrating process getting info about there "special" from them.
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/26/14 10:33 AM

A super nice knife, Daniele - congrats!!

Originally Posted By: Steven
Back before they quit carrying Randall's, Stoddard's had the knives in stock, Like a week turn over to Colorado. I like mine but wish the top bevel was sharpened. Might need to look into a Sergeants.

Hi Steven, I'd love to have a Stoddards Special with the top bevel unsharpened laugh

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/27/14 09:18 AM

Sorry Peter it is still a keeper. Not all that many of them out there.
Posted by: Daniele

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/27/14 06:45 PM

Thanks a lot, Guys blush
Best,
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/28/14 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Steven
Sorry Peter it is still a keeper. Not all that many of them out there.

Of course! But maybe you can let us have a glimpse of it? smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 10/28/14 06:27 PM

I need to find out what safe it is in and see if I can get my wife to take a photo. I'm not hep on all this computer stuff. I can surf the net and that is about it.
Posted by: pcrcrepaira

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 02/08/16 10:58 AM

nice work!
Posted by: Falcon Billy

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 07/05/16 05:09 PM

Beautiful knives. I like the wood handles
Posted by: rfcarlin

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/14/16 08:40 PM

Stoddard's Special #183.
-5" carbon tool steel blade. Top edge not sharpened. Thumb notches.
-Stag handle with brass square-top single hilt and butt cap (with thong hole). Brass and black spacers. A "chunky" piece of stag that sits nicely in the hand.
-Blade is stamped with "Randall Made Orlando, FLA" double scimitars logo.
-Reverse of blade is etched "Stoddard's, Inc. Boston, MA-SN. 183".
-Black leather Sullivan's Model A sheath with "SS" stamped on reverse above RMK logo. "Randall Made" on metal sheath snaps. "Fine India Made In USA" stone.
-Did anyone ever determine how many of these Stoddard's Specials were made? I note Bob T.'s earlier comment that his was very late in the run and is numbered 238. Any higher numbers seen ?
-On a personal note, I really like this knife. A great design blending the Bushmaster and the Trapper.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/14/16 08:46 PM

That is a very usable blade design. Nice one !!

Pap
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/14/16 08:50 PM

Bob,

Better hide that from Chief. It's one of his favs.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/14/16 09:06 PM

Here is a picture of two Ivory Stoddards that I had to let go sitting on a big block of golden amboyna that I can't get anymore of!
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/14/16 09:15 PM

I never get tired of seeing those 2.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/14/16 09:18 PM

Yeah the carved 1 was NS, the other was the last ivory Stoddards the shop did it was silver.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/15/16 08:51 AM

Thanks.

Chief, those ivory handled Stoddards are just gorgeous.

Is the number on the non-carved one "249" (my eyes are not what they used to be)?

I'm trying to figure out how many of the Stoddard's Specials were made.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/15/16 09:07 AM

The last Stoddards Specials were shipped from the shop in April of 2007. Serial numbers 249-252.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 08/15/16 09:57 AM

Mitchell, thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 12/25/18 06:52 PM

Anybody know anything about the Stoddard's 19-5, I can't find any info on it.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 12/25/18 09:50 PM

I think the may have had a lot of their knives etched for example this model 1 7 of mine

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 12/25/18 11:08 PM

Til now the one that became the SGT model was the only one I knew of, I think you may be right, looks that way anyhow. Thanks Peter

If anyone has more info, I'm all ears.

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 12/28/18 12:45 AM

Peter, Dirty water says that Stoddard's had the blades on their last couple of orders etched like this.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 12/28/18 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Gentlemen,

When Stoddard's changed management, they opted to pursue another etching spec on several more of their knives other than the Sergeants model for a few months. Management once again changed and dropped the "new" etching all together. I believe it was just used as another advertisement for them.

---DW---

The first picture is a grouping of Guido's dealer specials. The Model 27 is etched as a Stoddard's. Reference DW's quoted post above.

Here is the thread this info came from:
http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=1973&Number=15307#Post15307

Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! - 12/28/18 05:07 PM

Thanks Michael, That clears up the Mystery about the markings.